Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2015, 08:51 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
No, we're just telling you like it is. Owning a Porsche ain't like owning a Vette. The car is designed and engineered the way it is for a reason so that's why you aren't going to do better than the factory unless you're someone like Jake Raby who builds things better than the Germans do. You asked us what to do with 3k. You said you didn't want to blow 17k like your vette. Pretty much every suspension component is going to be worn out on that car by 100k miles. If you want a car that you could care less how it handles and what it rides like, then blow your cash on one of those Lamborghini body kit conversions and then you'll have a Lamborghini.

Or if you really want to dump some money into it and make it a monster, drop a 3.4 liter carrera engine in it and add a supercharger if you really want to give it balls. But you're likely still going to need a suspension refresh if you want the car to handle that power. I know you said this in jest, but you need to be prepared for expenditures if you own an out of warranty German car. They need preventative interval maintenance. No way around it.
I hear ya and thanks for the input.... Everyone, thanks for the input. I love fun conversations so i hope no one gets bent with my comments. Its all in good fun.

Ok suspension.... I bought all that last night lol i had already planned on that one. $3k is my fun money. Maintenance $ is there as well. Im not rich but i do pretty well. I did think about the 3.4 swap. I priced some out last night... $8k for a used motor 😁 ya i know its a porsche motor but still not a very good bang for the buck. Ls3 swap.... Maybe i dont know yet. We will see

compinsating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:10 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
As someone who bought a 97 years ago and started modding it like it crazy (new headlamps, tail lamps, seats, steering wheel, center console, exhaust, 18 inch Carrera light aftermarket wheels, etc), I offer this advice:

- Porsches are expensive to own. Parts are a LOT more money and the 98 you've purchased will no doubt need a grand in repairs in the next year or two at a bare minimum unless the previous owner was as idiotic as ME and replaced most everything on the car even if it wasn't worn out. It's an old Porsche that was built in an era where the bean counters were in charge of quality control and all the plastic crap on the car is now brittle and the bushings are all worn out, etc. Save your money for repairs. They'll be plentiful and not simple to fix like your American cars due to parts sourcing at affordable prices.

- Arrest the desire to stuff big tires and wheels under the car. You've got a 200hp car that will be substantially hurt performance wise if you put heavier wheels and tires on it. It doesn't need them for traction, that's for sure. It will also wear out your suspension and wheel bearings rapidly. Learn from my mistake. When I put my factory 17's back on the car there was a noticeable bump in off-the-line performance.

- If you join the local PCA chapter and sign up for a high speed driver's education course, you'll quickly discover you have far more car than you are capable of handling on a track (where it really shines. After all, it's not a Turbo with gobs of HP for straight-line performance). If you do this, the desire to mod the car will go away and all you'll think about is becoming a much better driver... a far more worthy use of your time and money in our opinion here on this forum.

- Every dollar you put into your 1998 beyond keeping it running well is a complete waste of money. You will not recoup any of it when you get tired of the car (or very little of it if you keep your factory parts and sell the improvement stuff). Dumping money into a depreciating asset is insanity. Took me 10+ years to figure this out about my 97, but I've got it in my head now and it's final... no more mods. It just wastes money you have saved for retirement or to retire debt in your world.

Check out my web site for all I have done and been forced to do to keep my 97 on the road and looking good... you'll see I was addicted to modding the car before I came to my senses.

Final advice: Drive the car for a year before you do a thing to it or argue with me on my points. Bookmark this thread for re-reading in November of 2016!

This is so true.
I've had two 986s and if you didn't have a PPI done, the pessimistic side of me wouldn't be a bit surprised if you ended up spending the $3,000 right off the bat in overdue maintenance and repairs alone. You certainly don't want to be putting your money on expensive wheels and tires only to bolt them to worn out struts, control arms, brakes, and bearings. Same is true for the rest of the car.

Still totally worth it, and once the initial needs of these aging sports cars are met, they can be really reliable and more fun than should be legal!
Old 11-11-2015, 09:12 AM   #23

Hi compinsating,

maybe someone should ask this question: what do you expect from your Boxster?

Do you want to use it as a performance car, or as show car, or as a cruiser?

Will it be a daily driver, or a car only for good wheater, or a track tool?

And what Corvettes did you own? C2, C3, C4, C5, C6… ?

Regards
Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:19 AM   #24

Unsubscribed from thread. This is driving me nuts.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:41 AM   #25
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Don't you just love it when someone get a Boxster and before they even drive it a bit wants to frankenstein it

These cars are pretty damn good bone stock. They are not like american "muscle" cars that need lots of mods.

As far as many suggesting getting driving lessons, well even if you are an experienced driver and it sound like you are, getting some instruction in a car with different characteristics would be a good idea. Also, most that start off asking the questions you did in your first post, don't have high performance driving experience and think that adding a bunch of crap to the car to make it faster is the right way to start off.

It's your car, do with it as you wish

almost forgot....
without pics, it ain't real!
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:20 AM   #26
Project Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by compinsating View Post

Ok on that driving school stuff... Id challenge most to thise track times ive had quite the collection of sports cars more then most. The thought that now that i own a 200hp porsche my driving skills are void and null...
The High Performance driving school is just a way to extend your learning and skills in a near no-risk environment. To experiment and feel the car getting close to the edge on track is VERY different to hooning it about on back roads. We all are Legends in our own minds but having the proper environment with an instructor in the seat next you make a big difference. The learning curve is steep and the fun is off the chart. Using the car at a track and really getting into the upper part of the performance range over and over is indescribable.

Good luck with your project.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:28 AM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Don't you just love it when someone get a Boxster and before they even drive it a bit wants to frankenstein it

These cars are pretty damn good bone stock. They are not like american "muscle" cars that need lots of mods.

As far as many suggesting getting driving lessons, well even if you are an experienced driver and it sound like you are, getting some instruction in a car with different characteristics would be a good idea. Also, most that start off asking the questions you did in your first post, don't have high performance driving experience and think that adding a bunch of crap to the car to make it faster is the right way to start off.

It's your car, do with it as you wish

almost forgot....
without pics, it ain't real!
That was part of my point as well. These car are much much better engineered than american cars. Everything is done for a reason and it all leads to optimal power and performance from what is there. People who think they will out smart the Germans waste a lot of money trying and never quite get there. I've never understood the ls swap...I bought a Porsche to have a Porsche.

Good call on the suspension parts.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:31 AM   #28

Quote:
I hear ya and thanks for the input.... Everyone, thanks for the input. I love fun conversations so i hope no one gets bent with my comments. Its all in good fun.

Ok suspension.... I bought all that last night lol i had already planned on that one. $3k is my fun money. Maintenance $ is there as well. Im not rich but i do pretty well. I did think about the 3.4 swap. I priced some out last night... $8k for a used motor 😁 ya i know its a porsche motor but still not a very good bang for the buck. Ls3 swap.... Maybe i dont know yet. We will see
Ah, I missed this post. Disregard mine as that was my main concern.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:59 AM   #29
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
If you join the local PCA chapter and sign up for a high speed driver's education course, you'll quickly discover you have far more car than you are capable of handling on a track (where it really shines. After all, it's not a Turbo with gobs of HP for straight-line performance). If you do this, the desire to mod the car will go away and all you'll think about is becoming a much better driver... a far more worthy use of your time and money in our opinion here on this forum.
This is excellent advice! I couldn't have said it better.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:19 PM   #30

Quote:
*sigh* really ??? Ok for peoe like randal... Relax. Its just fun talk about cars. This thread should be theast thing to frustrate anyone. Remember you cant type tone in these comments. I love having these talks about cars.... Its ok lol

Ok so im at the dealership waiting to sign papers on the car. It did get inspected and passed. I took it for a test drivd.... Wow this little thing is fun!!! What a blast to drive lol this thing feels like its on rails. Im a short guy and the cab fits me just right. Love the feel of the seats. Dont like how stiff the shifter is... Is there anything i can about that?

Ill post up pics when i get home(cfew hours) it has the hard top which i like as well.

Ok i gotta say... Its a quik little car but its not as fast as some was getting me to think.

Im not comaining though, i didnt get it for the speed. My two supras.. Thise were fast, my twin turbo camaro was sick fast .. This porsche is just fun lol dont unsubscribe im just typing out loud lol share my excitement lolol

Ill update in a bit
compinsating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:27 PM   #31

Please also include pics of said Supras.
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:05 PM   #32

bought my first porsche

It's not fast. But it's way quicker point to point than most can understand until they have had time to get their head around the mid-engine handling.

People are just assuming you're one of those mere mortals, don't take offence.

What are you compensating for? Poor spelling skills?

p.s. Hope your drive home is awesome. But as soon as you can, upload pics man!!!
Old 11-11-2015, 01:20 PM   #33
Run

I think time will tell and lessons will be learned by the OP. Owning a Japanese or American car is just not the same as a Porsche. With no PPI the possibilities for expense could be a real eye opener. LOL this may very well be your first and last Porsche.
Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:25 PM   #34

To much lolololols.

Unsubscribed.
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:46 PM   #35

Garage
Never Forget!

911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 02:07 PM   #36

I'm new. Who's the pimp?
Old 11-11-2015, 02:19 PM   #37

Garage
Quote:
??? Huh ??? Im 38 years old... Driving school??? Im not sure if your being sarcastic or insulting here.

If i was asked about spending $3k on fun stuff for a car... I would suggest fun stuff for the car.

Safety things such as brakes are kind of a given. Not to many people who own a corvette, custom exotic and a porsch driving around on three tires and a donut spare and or bare pads on grinding rotors lol

Again not sure if your joking or ???

Anyway.
Play along here: If I said Cheesecake Factory. What would your answer be?
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 02:29 PM   #38
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
well i've been a camaro and vette guys so far but as of tomottow at 4pm i will be in my first porsche. its nothing special just a 98 2.5 but.... its a porshe !!! lol i'm excited.

i have a little nest egg set aside to to play with and was wondering what you would do if you had $3k to sink into your porsche? what performance mods would you make, what visual mods would you make? i know $3k isnt huge but its a start. i just sunk #17k into my corvette and well..... i need to recuperate a little from that lol
Some easy visual mods would be de-ambering with clear side markers and headlights, and fresh paint on the calipers (red is a good go-to).
Old 11-11-2015, 02:33 PM   #39
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
Never Forget!

For some strange reason I kinda miss him. He definitely brought some excitement to the forum. Plus I never thought of The Cheesecake Factory as fine dining before his arrival.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 03:42 PM   #40
Rennzenn

Garage
Get to know your local Porsche Club, NASA chapter, or SCCA chapter and do some track days or autocross events. The Boxster is a great road course car, but it takes experience and some time with an instructor to know how to really drive it (or any other car, for that matter). If you've never done an autocross or track day, you'll be stunned at how an experienced driver in a 1.8 Miata runs circles around you, even if you are in a 505HP Z06 vette.