Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2015, 10:32 AM   #1

Not a lot of Love for the 986

2000 Porsche Boxster

Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 10:52 AM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Mostly from writers who have never owned a Porsche. They know that writing crap like this will get a response from people who do know what they are talking about. Then they claim "internet popularity". The only things that matters to them is "number of views" and "number of responses".

In other words, the writer is a troll. :troll:
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 11:10 AM   #3

Let him have his Miata and think he made a better decision!
Old 11-08-2015, 11:46 AM   #4

Sounds like jealousy to me. He obviously couldn't afford 10K or 11K (IF he had to put in the IMS) for a real sports car. The Boxster is the perfect low cost alternative to the 911 and having owned both, I really like the Boxster better. The best is rarely the cheapest. I am sure he can afford to pick up an old VW bug. It is probably more his speed.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:05 PM   #5

Thank you Dumbass

As long as people read reviews like this, we will still have the best damn handling sports car out there, and we'll be able to afford it.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 01:10 PM   #6

Wink

I agree, Porsche for the money, performance, fun, chick magnet is the best. Its just an amazing car.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 02:23 PM   #7

Garage
Hilarious. If you buy a 3200 dollar luxury sports car should you really be surprised at the larger maintenance bills? Can't handle the heat stay out of the kitchen.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 04:16 PM   #8

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
I really don't see why everybody think Porsche repair bills are so high ... do the easy stuff yourself. any idiot could change the oil in a boxster hell my wife's honda is harder to change the oil in.

pretty easy to source reasonable parts for a good price and look for a good indy
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:46 AM   #9

Wow, the hate, fear, ignorance and arrogance in the comments below is staggering (with the exception of a couple of commenters that had actually owned or driven them...go figure).
But those are the masses that the journalists sing to. It's a co-dependency.

My favorites are the ones that complain and whine about the "cheap interiors", "aging looks", and "high maintenance" and then turn around and highly recommend an old C4 Vette. Are they #%*+@ serious?!
Old 11-09-2015, 04:19 AM   #10

2002 Bosxter S

What cheap Porsche, the first owner of my 2002 Bosxter S MSRP was $112,000. I am third owner and love it.
eallga72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:04 AM   #11

I used to be in the camp of: "Boxsters are the cheap/slow Porsche." This was many years ago in my teenage years. Its amazing at how many people show this car no respect. In my circle of friends I'm the biggest car enthusiast. When I got my car I caught a lot of crap for buying the cheap Porsche. I just laugh and take them for a ride in my 12 year old sports car. Every person, so far, has been impressed and has changed their opinion on the Boxster. The best one was just last weekend when my aunt and 16 year old cousin came to visit for the weekend. My cousin is just getting into cars and he loves talking to me about cars. Neither of them knew I had bought a Porsche so when I told my cousin he thought I was just joking around. I told him to go look in the garage. He obviously wanted to go for a ride. I took him on a nice ride through some nice twisty roads. Halfway through the ride he goes, "I had no idea Boxsters were this sick!! I always thought they were slow and crappy." It just made me laugh and was glad I could change his mind. People love to judge things with zero first hand experience. We've all done it at some point in our lives. Hell, my wife just bought a new GTI and while test driving a bunch of cars she told me she didn't want to drive a couple simply because of what she heard...
JRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintro11 View Post
I really don't see why everybody think Porsche repair bills are so high ... do the easy stuff yourself. any idiot could change the oil in a boxster hell my wife's honda is harder to change the oil in.

pretty easy to source reasonable parts for a good price and look for a good indy
Just wait then. You'll see. Parts are expensive and they do not last nearly long enough compared to most every other car I've owned apart from the 07 BMW 550i I owned (POS).

It's still worth owning a Boxster though... I enjoy driving my car a lot.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:07 AM   #13

I guess the term 'high maintenance" is relative. If you think you are going to maintain your Boxster for the same cost as your civic, you are in for a surprise!! But a buddy of mine has a vette, and he spends a bundle to take care of that puppy!!
I had heard and partly believed all that talk about the Boxster. My search originally was for a vette, or 350Z. That lasted until I drove my first Boxster, and was hooked!!
pony13ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by eallga72 View Post
What cheap Porsche, the first owner of my 2002 Bosxter S MSRP was $112,000. I am third owner and love it.
112K, WOW! First owner must of check off every option box possible.
afterafx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterafx View Post
112K, WOW! First owner must of check off every option box possible.
Plus he's in Canada were for some reason they take our friends to the north to the cleaners.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:23 AM   #16
I am my own mechanic....

Screw the haters.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:37 AM   #17

I like having a unique, "Rare" car that looks like it came out of the showroom after 15 years, and still looks Hot and contemporary.

Fine by me if the consensus out there reduces demand. More options for me then.

If only folks would have thought those aircooled Porsches were junk and not worth the price of scrap.

Sure like to get my hands on a few of those for under $10K
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:14 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
I like having a unique, "Rare" car that looks like it came out of the showroom after 15 years, and still looks Hot and contemporary.

Fine by me if the consensus out there reduces demand. More options for me then.

If only folks would have thought those aircooled Porsches were junk and not worth the price of scrap.

Sure like to get my hands on a few of those for under $10K
Maybe it's because I don't live in Southern California but my 13 year old "cheap slow porsche" still turns heads and gets compliments every time I take it out.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:59 PM   #19
Beginner

Garage
These Boxsters are horrible. Absolutely terrible. They blow up if you look at them and roll over in almost every turn. They are no fun to drive. Porsche should have provided complimentary grass stain remover for the roofs when they were new. Owners should be forced to hire tow trucks to follow them around. There is a federal law stating you must have each paint chip immediately repaired at the dealer and it costs a minimum of $10K per chip. It's a capital offense to do any maintenance, including washing the car yourself. Tell everyone to save themselves, Boxsters are terrible cars and should be avoided at all costs!
Old 11-09-2015, 03:47 PM   #20
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
I get "Wow, nice car......

....what year is it?" nearly every time I take it out. I love telling them its a 2003. Or even that it cost me less than their Corolla. Will it cost more to maintain? Surely. Will it bankrupt me to take care of it....nope.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and fun is in the person lucky (and smart) enough to be driving one of these awesome cars

grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote