986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Not a lot of Love for the 986 (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/59463-not-lot-love-986-a.html)

Gelbster 11-08-2015 10:32 AM

Not a lot of Love for the 986

2000 Porsche Boxster

thstone 11-08-2015 10:52 AM

Mostly from writers who have never owned a Porsche. They know that writing crap like this will get a response from people who do know what they are talking about. Then they claim "internet popularity". The only things that matters to them is "number of views" and "number of responses".

In other words, the writer is a troll. :troll:

jpc763 11-08-2015 11:10 AM

Let him have his Miata and think he made a better decision!

apswater 11-08-2015 11:46 AM

Sounds like jealousy to me. He obviously couldn't afford 10K or 11K (IF he had to put in the IMS) for a real sports car. The Boxster is the perfect low cost alternative to the 911 and having owned both, I really like the Boxster better. The best is rarely the cheapest. I am sure he can afford to pick up an old VW bug. It is probably more his speed.

schnellman 11-08-2015 12:05 PM

Thank you Dumbass

As long as people read reviews like this, we will still have the best damn handling sports car out there, and we'll be able to afford it.

jcb986 11-08-2015 01:10 PM

I agree, Porsche for the money, performance, fun, chick magnet is the best. Its just an amazing car.

jdraupp 11-08-2015 02:23 PM

Hilarious. If you buy a 3200 dollar luxury sports car should you really be surprised at the larger maintenance bills? Can't handle the heat stay out of the kitchen.

Fintro11 11-08-2015 04:16 PM

I really don't see why everybody think Porsche repair bills are so high ... do the easy stuff yourself. any idiot could change the oil in a boxster hell my wife's honda is harder to change the oil in.

pretty easy to source reasonable parts for a good price and look for a good indy

Retroman1969 11-09-2015 03:46 AM

Wow, the hate, fear, ignorance and arrogance in the comments below is staggering (with the exception of a couple of commenters that had actually owned or driven them...go figure).
But those are the masses that the journalists sing to. It's a co-dependency.

My favorites are the ones that complain and whine about the "cheap interiors", "aging looks", and "high maintenance" and then turn around and highly recommend an old C4 Vette. Are they #%*+@ serious?!

eallga72 11-09-2015 04:19 AM

2002 Bosxter S

What cheap Porsche, the first owner of my 2002 Bosxter S MSRP was $112,000. I am third owner and love it. :cheers:

JRide 11-09-2015 05:04 AM

I used to be in the camp of: "Boxsters are the cheap/slow Porsche." This was many years ago in my teenage years. Its amazing at how many people show this car no respect. In my circle of friends I'm the biggest car enthusiast. When I got my car I caught a lot of crap for buying the cheap Porsche. I just laugh and take them for a ride in my 12 year old sports car. Every person, so far, has been impressed and has changed their opinion on the Boxster. The best one was just last weekend when my aunt and 16 year old cousin came to visit for the weekend. My cousin is just getting into cars and he loves talking to me about cars. Neither of them knew I had bought a Porsche so when I told my cousin he thought I was just joking around. I told him to go look in the garage. He obviously wanted to go for a ride. I took him on a nice ride through some nice twisty roads. Halfway through the ride he goes, "I had no idea Boxsters were this sick!! I always thought they were slow and crappy." It just made me laugh and was glad I could change his mind. People love to judge things with zero first hand experience. We've all done it at some point in our lives. Hell, my wife just bought a new GTI and while test driving a bunch of cars she told me she didn't want to drive a couple simply because of what she heard...

RandallNeighbour 11-09-2015 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fintro11 (Post 472871)
I really don't see why everybody think Porsche repair bills are so high ... do the easy stuff yourself. any idiot could change the oil in a boxster hell my wife's honda is harder to change the oil in.

pretty easy to source reasonable parts for a good price and look for a good indy

Just wait then. You'll see. Parts are expensive and they do not last nearly long enough compared to most every other car I've owned apart from the 07 BMW 550i I owned (POS).

It's still worth owning a Boxster though... I enjoy driving my car a lot.

pony13ca 11-09-2015 07:07 AM

I guess the term 'high maintenance" is relative. If you think you are going to maintain your Boxster for the same cost as your civic, you are in for a surprise!! But a buddy of mine has a vette, and he spends a bundle to take care of that puppy!!
I had heard and partly believed all that talk about the Boxster. My search originally was for a vette, or 350Z. That lasted until I drove my first Boxster, and was hooked!!

afterafx 11-09-2015 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eallga72 (Post 472912)
What cheap Porsche, the first owner of my 2002 Bosxter S MSRP was $112,000. I am third owner and love it. :cheers:

112K, WOW! First owner must of check off every option box possible.

Porsche9 11-09-2015 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afterafx (Post 472931)
112K, WOW! First owner must of check off every option box possible.

Plus he's in Canada were for some reason they take our friends to the north to the cleaners.

Timco 11-09-2015 11:23 AM

Screw the haters.

jb92563 11-09-2015 11:37 AM

I like having a unique, "Rare" car that looks like it came out of the showroom after 15 years, and still looks Hot and contemporary.

Fine by me if the consensus out there reduces demand. More options for me then.

If only folks would have thought those aircooled Porsches were junk and not worth the price of scrap.

Sure like to get my hands on a few of those for under $10K :p

jdraupp 11-09-2015 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb92563 (Post 472950)
I like having a unique, "Rare" car that looks like it came out of the showroom after 15 years, and still looks Hot and contemporary.

Fine by me if the consensus out there reduces demand. More options for me then.

If only folks would have thought those aircooled Porsches were junk and not worth the price of scrap.

Sure like to get my hands on a few of those for under $10K :p

Maybe it's because I don't live in Southern California but my 13 year old "cheap slow porsche" still turns heads and gets compliments every time I take it out.

Jamesp 11-09-2015 02:59 PM

These Boxsters are horrible. Absolutely terrible. They blow up if you look at them and roll over in almost every turn. They are no fun to drive. Porsche should have provided complimentary grass stain remover for the roofs when they were new. Owners should be forced to hire tow trucks to follow them around. There is a federal law stating you must have each paint chip immediately repaired at the dealer and it costs a minimum of $10K per chip. It's a capital offense to do any maintenance, including washing the car yourself. Tell everyone to save themselves, Boxsters are terrible cars and should be avoided at all costs!

grc0456 11-09-2015 03:47 PM

I get "Wow, nice car......

....what year is it?" nearly every time I take it out. I love telling them its a 2003. Or even that it cost me less than their Corolla. Will it cost more to maintain? Surely. Will it bankrupt me to take care of it....nope.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and fun is in the person lucky (and smart) enough to be driving one of these awesome cars :cool: