Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2006, 06:04 PM   #61

It's very subtle but it attracts weird behavior from poseurs and bad ass wannabes. lol Like tailgating. Cut ins. Hard launches at lights. Sometimes its funny sometimes its annoying. Like the guy in the ugly new Crossfire who launched so hard and sped off in heavy traffic like I was radioactive. Women like the car but the "bad boys" are threatened.

Old 04-27-2006, 06:24 PM   #62

Hi,

I dunno, I haven't gotten any of what you guys describe when driving my Guards Red '99, Nada, none, not at all.

But, when I'm out in my Esprit, I see everything you describe and more... Interesting...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:54 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

I dunno, I haven't gotten any of what you guys describe when driving my Guards Red '99, Nada, none, not at all.

But, when I'm out in my Esprit, I see everything you describe and more... Interesting...

That's interesting. Studies have shown that red irritates people and makes them angry. I think blue is soothing. lol The Esprit looks so exotic they can't help themselves.

When I'm out on my Harley, people are just so polite and courteous. Go figure?

I also notice that behavior varies depending on the time of day. Evening rush hour is worse. People are tired and burnt out. Sunday morning is calm. Friday night's rush hour is the worst. Wow.... a Porsche and an Esprit!!
Old 04-27-2006, 09:51 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild1poet2
It's very subtle but it attracts weird behavior from poseurs and bad ass wannabes. lol Like tailgating. Cut ins. Hard launches at lights. Sometimes its funny sometimes its annoying. Like the guy in the ugly new Crossfire who launched so hard and sped off in heavy traffic like I was radioactive. Women like the car but the "bad boys" are threatened.
This seems to be the norm with me. Bad ass types with a small ***is. They all have that fart can of a muffler and body mods, and they think they have the fastest car on earth. I don't give them the time of day!
jsampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 10:10 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsampson
This seems to be the norm with me. Bad ass types with a small ***is. They all have that fart can of a muffler and body mods, and they think they have the fastest car on earth. I don't give them the time of day!
i agree - it pisses them off more that you blow them off, which is pretty funny.
Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 10:36 PM   #66

Hi,

When I'm out in this, I don't really care what they think... I'm the one having the Good Time...

Old 04-27-2006, 11:12 PM   #67

Heh, when I was a kid I totally wanted that car, but only because I wanted to be able to drive it underwater and shoot torpedoes, all while Barbara Bach was making little cooing noises in my ears.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:44 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
Heh, when I was a kid I totally wanted that car, but only because I wanted to be able to drive it underwater and shoot torpedoes, all while Barbara Bach was making little cooing noises in my ears.
Hi,

She still does...

Old 04-28-2006, 04:25 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Same thing with me. I get some looks in the boxster and guys launching on me and stuff, but I really don't get too many moron's in my talon. I woudl think they didn't know it's fast, but I have wiped the simle of the odd Z06's face before which is exactly why I'm not so impressed with them.

The talon lays a much WHP, under 3000lbs with me in the car sporting AWD. It's not gonna blow up either, fully built motor (Wiseco Pistons, Eagle Rods, polished crank, no balance shafts, port polished head, Comp Valves and Cams etc etc..)and trans with center and rear LSD so it gives spankings all day long...

The best part of the car is racing at the V8 points events (its open street class but no imports are ever there) and their fastest car in the street class runs 12.1 which is the same speed my car goes. They all give me looks as if it runs fast enough to be in the class (minimum 14.9 to 12.0) I just say I don't know and I hope its fast enough. Then listen to some idiot tell me about his 13.5 second whatever it is before take a strip off him runnnig like 12.3 or so pretty easily. Then the next time in the lanes everbody is all the sudden not talking smack about my car anymore. lol...
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 06:34 AM   #70

"but I have wiped the simle of the odd Z06's face before "

I assume the Z06's driver was ah, dead?

:dance:
I assumed you were talking about your Boxster.

If you were talking about your Talon, well, we don't do RICERS here on the 986 Forum.

Last edited by Brucelee; 04-28-2006 at 06:41 AM.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 07:09 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Jim
The talon lays a much WHP, under 3000lbs with me in the car sporting AWD. It's not gonna blow up either, fully built motor (Wiseco Pistons, Eagle Rods, polished crank, no balance shafts, port polished head, Comp Valves and Cams etc etc..)and trans with center and rear LSD so it gives spankings all day long...

j/p
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:37 PM   #72

Holie Molie, Attitude adjustment; I've got my motor run in finally. On the commute home, I was behind a Cobra Mustang. Now I know about Adam's runs with the Mustang crowd but as a former owner of one of these beasts I was skeptical my little Boxster was in the same accelerant class. The Cobra guy politely pulled into the left lane at a light, allowing us to match up. Granted, he didn't launch hard, and I wasn't even in gear when the light greened, but he quickly got a car length on me and applied some throttle. I geared up and put some torque down and to my surprise regained that gap easily. I heard him shift, but not hard and sprinted real quick like and throttled down because we were not in a safe area. We pulled up at the next light and exchanged pleasantries. he asked how hard on the throttle I was. I replied not full on. He said he was on pretty hard and hopes to have a Porsche some day. I told him to enjoy the Cobra it was an adrenaline rush and then we parted ways. I'm sure I'll run into him again in town. But i was surprised at the way the Boxster accelerated. I don't think I got over 5500 rpms!! I am looking at this little car in a whole different way.

Anyone else go through an epiphany like this?? I'm not sure it's all that underpowered.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:55 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
If you were talking about your Talon, well, we don't do RICERS here on the 986 Forum.
Hey now, I have a 2G Eclipse also, y'know...
Old 04-28-2006, 07:50 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
"but I have wiped the simle of the odd Z06's face before "

I assume the Z06's driver was ah, dead?

:dance:
I assumed you were talking about your Boxster.

There is nothing rice about my car, it's all business. Theres a lot more rice going on here with headlight, tail lights and xenon lights lol. Thats rice boy **************** if I have ever seen it.

Built motors and lots of HP and neck snapping AWD launches are not exactly rice, but to each their own I guess...
Old 04-29-2006, 04:05 AM   #75

wow, 11.4 on your CBR600!! What mods are you running on it 986Jim?
Old 04-29-2006, 04:08 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild1poet2
wow, 11.4 on your CBR600!! What mods are you running on it 986Jim?
A devil pipe lol thats it. It's rated to do 10.9 with a descent launch. A guy with an older CBR version of my bike that was Carburated (an F4 not F4i like I had) ran 11.2 that day, but he had a lot of years racing his bike.

The best 60ft I could do was a 2.20. I can pull 1.71 in my Talon it just has way more traction.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:18 AM   #77

All I have to say is:

I miss my 1990 talon, that car was fun

Cobras are cool, uncorked they can snuff a lot of cars

My Hayabusa with a mr. turbo could have been the fastest thing on the road, if I welded something to the frame to keep the front end down. Its speed was only effective 80+

I have always been treated well when I was on a cruiser. I'm out of biking now, but on a sport bike, even with a group, it was nasty looks (albeit we werent on our best behaviour). On a cruiser, ESPECIALLY in our ol' 1%'r filled group, people didnt open their mouths with anything else but compliments.

Its 9am, nice out, and I just added an ipod direct connection to my stereo. Im going for a spin
5thtonbench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 07:29 AM   #78

Hi,

I HATE Bikes. I used to LOVE Bikes. I live on the East Bank of the Mississippi River on a Scenic Drive, very lovely and pristine.

Unfortunately, the Bikers have found it and we are now exposed to 24 Hrs. of popping, cracking and burbbles from their LOUD exhausts.

I live 500 ft. from a tight 180° Curve and one of several things happens, Crotch Rockets try to take it at 80MPH (posted speed 25MPH) at 13,000RPM (occaisionally one of them miscalculates and either Road Rashes 90% of their Body, or carries too much speed and careens off into the Trees or River 80' below - which does my Heart some good), or some Harley feels the need to clear it's throat rattling the Glass in the House.

In my past, I have owned a Triumph Bonneville, Norton Commander and a 'Guzi, I loved Biking and Bikers, we were courteous, careful and didn't try to match the decible level of a 105mm Howitzer.

But this latest generation of Wild Bunch Wannabees (Accountants and Lawyers with more $$ than Brains) has totally soured me on the whole bunch. These people are Rude, totally ignorant of Traffic Laws and decent behavior. We are mounting a neighborhood Ban on Bikes through this Parkway with the City Council. I'm not paying $10k annually in Property Taxes so I can feel like I'm living on Main Street during Sturgis Week 24/7.

To those of you who own Bikes, take heed, owning a Bike doesn't mean you HAVE to be an Assh*le - consider the people whose neighborhood your riding through and show them some courtesy...

Old 04-29-2006, 07:47 AM   #79

Noise issues are a growing concern as urban sprawl continues to crowd us into smaller spaces. Most of the northeast has rules on exhaust noise and you can't get your inspection sticker if you're too loud. But large trucks and buses contribute are worse! I hate the constant sound of development. Every weekend i hear machinery noise all day long as one neighbor after another begins some new upgrade project to their property. And I hate leaf blowers!! Sometimes, in the fall I wear earplugs if I'm out in my yard because the cacaphony of noise is laughable. And hair dryers and vacuum cleaners can cause hearing loss too. I even hate the sound of cars driving by my house at night in the summer when my windows are open.

I love the sound of my Harley or the rumble of a V8. That deep bass sound doesn't irritate me like the high pitched wail of a leaf blower. It soothes the savage soul. Go figure.

But I'm probably just getting old. Hell, I don't even like the stereo loud anymore.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:53 AM   #80

Smile

I have a neighbor who uses his lgas leaf blower for hours at a time. He loves to hear it rev up and down.

Frankly, I am thinking of that aluminum baseball bat I keep in the garage and what it might do his leaf blower!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote