Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2006, 08:03 AM   #81

BL, this is off-thread, but did you buy that Ducatti yet? I've been toying with adding a Buell to my collection. But I'm having trouble finding time to ride the Harley I have now plus my Boxster.

Old 04-29-2006, 08:49 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild1poet2
Noise issues are a growing concern as urban sprawl continues to crowd us into smaller spaces. Most of the northeast has rules on exhaust noise and you can't get your inspection sticker if you're too loud. But large trucks and buses contribute are worse! I hate the constant sound of development. Every weekend i hear machinery noise all day long as one neighbor after another begins some new upgrade project to their property. And I hate leaf blowers!! Sometimes, in the fall I wear earplugs if I'm out in my yard because the cacaphony of noise is laughable. And hair dryers and vacuum cleaners can cause hearing loss too. I even hate the sound of cars driving by my house at night in the summer when my windows are open.

I love the sound of my Harley or the rumble of a V8. That deep bass sound doesn't irritate me like the high pitched wail of a leaf blower. It soothes the savage soul. Go figure.

But I'm probably just getting old. Hell, I don't even like the stereo loud anymore.
Hi,

I agree with you, but I live in the City, Urban Sprawl is about 10 mi. away. I too love the sound of a good Motor, just not 24 Hrs. a day. I think too much emphasis is being placed today on Loud Exhaust Systems. People used to customize their exhaust to free up some trapped Ponies, but today it seems that the loudness of one's Exhaust is commensurate with the size of their Cojones, just look at this Forum and the number of people contemplating an Exhaust upgrade. For about 8 of 10, the principle reason cited is to increase the Noise, not the Power...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 09:17 AM   #83

I so agree with this. It ESPECIALLY pisses me off because of all the tickets that have been handed out in California over the past decade to car guys with loud exhausts.

How is that a fart cannon on a Civic is illegal, but a harley without a muffler is fine? I have never understood the logic.

Here in San Diego, most of the old rice-rocket crew have all switched to bikes to fullfill their needs. I can't go anywhere around here without someone blasting my ears off with a bike, or scaring the crap out of people on the freeway by doing a wheelie at 80 MPH.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:51 AM   #84

Quote:
BL, this is off-thread, but did you buy that Ducatti yet? I've been toying with adding a Buell to my collection. But I'm having trouble finding time to ride the Harley I have now plus my Boxster.
I'm torn. I love the Buell, I love looking at the Duc.

I may keep the Buell and buy the Duc too!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 09:52 AM   #85

"scaring the crap out of people on the freeway by doing a wheelie at 80 MPH."

These morons make it easy for the pols to pass more anti bike laws.

Turds!

Old 04-29-2006, 10:10 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
I'm torn. I love the Buell, I love looking at the Duc.

I may keep the Buell and buy the Duc too!
Oh hey, I didn't even know you already had a Buell. Kool. Great machine with lots of high quality components.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:32 AM   #87

the buell is a really interesting bike - great concept behind the design and definitely a great meld between cruiser attitude and crotchrocket mentality! i actually contemplated a new bike purchase (keeping the beetle) instead of getting the porsche. however, my wife only got on my other bike twice so, it would have been a purchase that only brought enjoyment to me.

the ducati, now that is a cool bike - don't see to many and although the rice bikes are top notch - it's just another great way to have some individuality either in a group of riders or on a stand alone ride.

here's a link to pix of my former toy:
http://www.bikepics.com/members/drcrotchrocket/99cbr600/
Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 10:39 AM   #88

Quote:
Oh hey, I didn't even know you already had a Buell. Kool. Great machine with lots of high quality components.

Yes it is!

Thanks

Old 04-29-2006, 10:45 AM   #89

Here are some pix.

Old 04-29-2006, 04:41 PM   #90

BL and Mach: nice pics! I ran errands on my softail today. I love cars but nothing compares to the visceral experience of the bike. IMO Mach, like your situ, my wife likes the Porsche better than the bike.... lol

The Buell Thunderstorm engine puts out 103 hp!! With 84 ft-lbs. of torque!! That kind of torque makes shifting fairly optional...lol So you can just cruise along leaving it in gear or get on it and keep things boiling.

I also took the wife for a ride in the Boxster, top down, sun shining...... I got to admit it is great to contrast that with the bike experience. Yes, life is good when you got both..........
Old 04-29-2006, 05:37 PM   #91

this thread sure got off the topic

smith12895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 06:45 PM   #92

What were we talking about anyway?

Old 04-30-2006, 04:15 PM   #93

"Aston Martin, in my opinion, is a beautiful car. My favorite by far...hope I get to drive one some day."

- Rail26

I'm with you on that one. Engaged a DB9 Volante in some spirited driving on the freeway this weekend...just a crazy-good-looking car. Has a commanding presence, in person, in the same way as the 650 convertible.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote