Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2015, 05:39 AM   #1
I am my own mechanic....

When is driving a Boxster no fun at all?

When you have a significant back injury.

Oh, man. I'm driving the work truck home to sit straight up and climb up into it, not down.

This is terrible. Can't take any time off. Lots to do today.

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 06:05 AM   #2

Too bad about your back, but I never let work impact my health. I used to be dedicated and learned early that work did not give a rats ass about me, despite my dedication.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:57 AM   #3

Garage
I'm pretty sure Tim owns his own business...
Old 01-01-2015, 07:07 AM   #4

Feel better Tim. How bad is the injury? Is it a bad muscle pull perhaps? Try seea doctor, yet? Maybe a relaxant is what you need.
amitmishra4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:14 AM   #5

Garage
Goodluck with the back, whenever I drive around those that are not as articulate as the younger crowd they just flop in sort of.

For me even in traffic in the manual, I'm glad I'm in the boxster and not something else. You have the ergonomic cockpit to keep you occupied.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:27 AM   #6

I have take my wallet out of my back right pocket in the boxster only or it gives me a lot of trouble. Hope you feel better.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:53 AM   #7

Garage
In 2007 I had a serious fall at work. I Broke my left elbow and 2 ribs which were diagnosed. Unfortunately because of the pain and stiffness they missed 2 cracked Lamina on L4 and L5 vertebrae. In 2010 the bones had calcified to pinch the nerves that pass through the openings to the point I could not bare to do almost anything. Surgery in 2011 removing bone and calcification relieved the main problems. I could ride/drive in the Boxster no problem but entering and exiting were painful. After riding a friends Cayman, I replaced the seats ++++ Recaro Pole Position Leather. Best money I ever spent. I Still get a pinch sitting down and standing out of the seats, but the ride is comfortable. I believe in part the way they wrap at the hips and around my lower back area to eliminate jostling so that I don't bounce or move while driving at high speed or even at lower start stop traffic speeds.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
When you have a significant back injury.
Ugh.... Hang in there. I've had a chronic back problem for 7 years as a result of work. It's an ass kicker. Too many procedures to list with no help at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzle of Bees View Post
Too bad about your back, but I never let work impact my health. I used to be dedicated and learned early that work did not give a rats ass about me, despite my dedication.
You are so right. I worked same employer for 35 years before retiring. In the 1970's & 80s there were no HIPA laws. When you turned your paperwork in for a transfer you had to include a copy of your sick / injured history. Needless to say if you wanted to go anywhere you didn't take a sick day or get hurt on the job. In 35 years I took one sick day and when I hurt my back I didn't take any time off. Big mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
After riding a friends Cayman, I replaced the seats ++++ Recaro Pole Position Leather. Best money I ever spent.
Very interesting. Were they plug and play?

I ordered the Boxster with the Comfort Package which includes seats with electrical height, length and backrest adjustment, left and right; driver's side memory function and adjustable lumbar support (a $2,090 option), Heated Seats Package (a $400 option) and Porsche Crest in Headrest (a $210 option). I could lose the head crest but the Comfort Package and heated seats are a must. I wonder if I could find Cayman seats with the Comfort Package features?

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:37 AM   #9
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I have had some back issues, after pretty serious car accident a few years ago. (not in the 986)

I find sheepskin seat covers help a lot, I also have one of these, for some lumbar support: Universal Inflatable In Seat Lumbar Air Bladder and take your wallet out of your back pocket. Best!

Last edited by rick3000; 01-01-2015 at 09:39 AM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:47 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
Very interesting. Were they plug and play?

I ordered the Boxster with the Comfort Package which includes seats with electrical height, length and backrest adjustment, left and right; driver's side memory function and adjustable lumbar support (a $2,090 option), Heated Seats Package (a $400 option) and Porsche Crest in Headrest (a $210 option). I could lose the head crest but the Comfort Package and heated seats are a must. I wonder if I could find Cayman seats with the Comfort Package features?
Not actually and it took almost a whole day. Lost Heat, and adjustment up, down, and tilt. I reused the sliders but had to move the release lever. I was able to lower and recline the FIXED seat to a good angle for me.

This increased my head clearance, (broomstick rule) knee clearance, while sitting closer to the steering wheel and improving my arm control angle (Eblow to hands are more vertical) giving more control on wheel in tighter turning. Allows 5-6 point harness for tracking.

I have driven Harrisburg PA to Greensboro NC and back home in the same day and was comfortable the entire trip.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust

Last edited by jsceash; 01-01-2015 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:54 AM   #11

Sorry to hear about the back pain Tim. I got hit from behind by a car when I was eleven and put up with brutal back pain for years until I found the right chiropractor. I still have trouble hoisting myself up out of the Boxster some days.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:04 AM   #12

Garage
I never wear my wallet in my back pocket any longer.
I changed the style or size of pants and jeans since surgery .
I have used a air pad like "rick300" at time in other cars My Wife's Honda is awful over 2 hours. and my Colorado past an hour. Both with fully adjustable heated bucket seats.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:18 AM   #13

Garage
After 71 years of abusing my back, a couple of injuries in Vietnam, 30 years of riding in a police car and lots of construction, my back is pretty much totaled out, but the 04 boxster S special edition with the sports seats is the most comfortable ride I have had. We routinely do 8 and 9 hours in it. The other 2 Porsches, not bad, but not as good. I still appreciate my inversion machine and an occasional visit to the chiropractor of course.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:20 AM   #14

I too have been thinking about aftermarket seats, the Pole Positions were at the top of the list, until a couple of weeks ago. They are starting to find some are cracking near the front mounting location, you could imagine the consequences of an accident if the seat sheared.

https://www.recaro-automotive.com/us/press/news/news-view/article/voluntary-field-measure-for-recaro-pole-position-spg-fia-and-recaro-furious-spg-fia.html

I also wear cargo pants to keep wallet / cell phone up front in the thigh pockets, it helps a lot. If you've experienced severe back pain it's a horrible way to go through the day, it's also why I purchased a SUV for a daily driver, big difference getting in and out.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:10 AM   #15

It's always fun.

Fortunately my back has been behaving for a couple years (accident at 17 did a number). I dread the day that my back or some other ailment would prevent me from driving my ride of choice.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:27 PM   #16

Garage
If it makes everyone feel better, I once saw a boxster for sale with the ad saying "must sell the car I am too sun burnt to drive it." So at least you are not that guy.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:33 PM   #17

That's a big help.
Once, in my 20's while leaning over the bathroom sink brushing my teeth, I coughed, and that threw my back out.
Next A.M. I could not straighten up enough to even get out of bed. Had to roll over the side of the bed and drop to my hands and knees. Hurt like hell. Was in excellent shape at the time, lifting weights and loading trucks for UPS.
Also did a tour in Vietnam, Army, for what that's worth, just sayin', because sometimes you just have to take an R&R.

Last edited by jotoole; 01-01-2015 at 02:18 PM.
jotoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:45 PM   #18

On ice, with summer tires !
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:21 PM   #19
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
This:
Quote:
I find sheepskin seat covers help a lot, I also have one of these, for some lumbar support: Universal Inflatable In Seat Lumbar Air Bladder and take your wallet out of your back pocket. Best!
I did do a couple million dollars worth of damage to an aircraft about 20 years ago and have 'not been right' since. I hate taking opiate pain meds and NSAIDs almost killed me by taking them too much, too long.

What works for me now is lots of stretching, keeping in decent shape, careful positioning for standing/sitting/lifting/driving, and heat pads when I push it too far. When I don't take glucosamine-chondroitin the chronic pain is worse, so I decided it helps.

One thing that I have really grown to love about working on the Boxsters is that so much of the work can be done from underneath (laying down) instead of bending over for long periods.

Last edited by 78F350; 01-01-2015 at 03:04 PM. Reason: possibly offended someone
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 03:00 PM   #20

back when I was in 'nam

Last edited by jotoole; 01-03-2015 at 03:23 AM. Reason: my mistake
jotoole is offline   Reply With Quote