Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2014, 05:47 PM   #1

Out of State purchase

HI I'm looking for a 1999-2003 (or so) Boxster S. I'm having a hard time finding one that has had the IMS bearing dealt with and has good, available service records.

I'm prepared to buy long distance, but want some advice on:
Long distance PPi's
Any trucking or shipping experience
Best way to pay long distance (I may not travel if I get comfortable with seller and
can get a good PPI done

dsherburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:38 PM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

Without a doubt the Los Angeles market (Auto Trader) had more of these cars than anywhere else. If you do the IMS, you will have many more great cars to consider. Circle Porsche is right there in town, nice folks.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:49 PM   #3
On the slippery slope

Garage
You may be better off doing the IMS yourself.
Read the 3,462, 869 threads on IMS here and other forums.

If the IMS was replaced after a failure and the engine was not properly prepped (broken down and cleaned of all metal bits) before IMS replacement, you could be worse off.

When I was looking for a Porsche, I can across one that looked really good. When I asked the owner about service records he said they were thrown away. I didnt walk, I ran away
WTF, who in their right mind would throw away service records. My guess is he was hiding something, and yes, he had done an IMS replacement

Tim is correct lots of great P-cars in Los Angeles. In fact all of So Cal., AZ and Fla too

Look for cars that are from warm dry climates, they are less likely to have rust and more likely to have been driven year round. If the car has been garaged for part of the year and was not properly prepared for hibernation and also not serviced in the spring before driving, well it can lead to problems
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 10-14-2014 at 07:53 PM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:20 PM   #4

Concur, lots of Boxsters here in Az. Just make sure they were parked indoors as the desert sun can be very brutal on the car. If you find one with the IMS done ask for proof and it was preferably done some time/mileage ago so you know if wasn't a quick fix.

You should find one of these if it's a LN IMS.

Good luck.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:33 AM   #5

Local PPI's should not be difficult to get. If you find a car you're serious about, contact the local PCA group in that area and ask the contact who they know that does PPI's and is very familiar with Boxsters.

I've heard horror stories about generic PPI companies who send out reps who look just at cosmetic crap and have no idea about the weak points on a Porsche Boxster.

I bought mine long distance without a PPI off pics sent to me (yeah, I know, I was an IDIOT). I sure wish I had flown out to see the car and drive it and inspect it myself. Would have been LOTS cheaper because I would have come home sad without a Porsche and kept looking for a better example.

Take your time. There are beautiful pampered examples out there for bargain prices if you keep looking.

Good for you for buying an S too. You won't regret that. BTW, in 1999 they had not yet released the S model.

One last thing.... pay a little more for an 03S. That rear glass window is a HUGE upgrade you will not fully understand until you get a 2000 with a plastic window. Trust us.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:33 PM   #6

Garage
Out of State Purchase

I purchased 2000 Boxter in July from Ohio 1 owner all service records from day 1 never had IMS issues or replacement no metal in oil filter.I Put 2000 miles on it so far no issues put nothing in to it so far.
prodrive98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:38 PM   #7

Garage
Out of State purchase

Also 2.7L Tiptronic I am from Long Island first trip was to Cape Cod flawless trip has all original parts top etc.. just normal maintenance parts Tires,Brakes fuel pump and axle bearings
Old 10-15-2014, 03:42 PM   #8

Garage
Out of state purchase

Sorry for multiple posts but E-Bay is your best bet you have protection up 50,000 dollars I found 1 owner car with Carfax shipping was 500 from Ohio received next day. very pleased with everything
Old 10-15-2014, 03:43 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Without a doubt the Los Angeles market (Auto Trader) had more of these cars than anywhere else. If you do the IMS, you will have many more great cars to consider. Circle Porsche is right there in town, nice folks.
20% of all Porsche's made were sold in California.

This may have changed during the last few years since China has allowed them in.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:52 PM   #10

I bought a 2003 S a 6 hour drive away with no PPI or service records, other than what the owner had done in the 2 years and 5,000 miles he had owned it. I paid with a cashier's check and hauled it home on a U-Haul trailer. I was able to test drive it and meet the owner before I bought it though. He had done so much maintenance (complete brake replacement, new Carrera 18" wheels and Pilot Super Sport tires, ROW MO30 suspension, clutch and flywheel, trunk and frunk pneumatic lifters, windshield, spark plugs, all fluids including transmission + Motul 300V changed every 2,000 mi., upgraded leather interior, and more that I'm forgetting) on the car while he owned it that I felt safe buying it. He seemed very trustworthy (and anal) and the price was fantastic too. I later found the complete service records in the owner's service booklet which he didn't know the car had in the glove box , including a new engine replacement at 36,000 mi. under warranty. I've had the car for 2 years and 8,000 miles and it is perfect. Knock on wood, I've not had to put a penny into it for repairs.

This is probably not a typical story; YMMV!
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:05 PM   #11

Garage
I have a strange experience with PPI's.

I paid nearly $300 to have one done at a Porsche dealership. They found $3K worth of work that needed to be done. Not end-of-the-world stuff...but...stuff. It included the 60K servicing Porsche requires. This was on a $16K car.

The dealership agreed to pay for about $2K of the 'repairs'....so I bought the car. (Not the smartest move....but I *really* liked the car).

The first week I had the car....I tracked down the Independent that had been servicing it for two years. Turns out that all but one item on the 60K to-do list had been done a month before I bought the car.

Then....I randomly got introduced into a local (different) Porsche/BMW Indy not 5 miles away from my house by a guy that had been going to them for TWENTY years.

They looked my car over for free. Free PPI. Note: POST purchase inspection.....

I ended up repairing what they found on their own for $40 worth of parts from Pelican. (I've also referred several new customers to them...so I don't feel entirely bad about my DIY solution)

Soooo.....if I were to do it again....I'd would try and track down a good Indy and work with them.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:17 AM   #12

The main thing is not to rush. I spent a couple of months looking and finally found exactly what I was looking for. Seal grey, black leather, 2.7 stick, 42000 miles, full service history, one fanatical owner. It was 4.5 hours away so I went to check it out, made a deal, dropped it off at the Indy shop that serviced it, for new ims, clutch and water pump. Went back 3 days later to pick it up and drove it home via highway 1.
The ims was fine but now I don't have to worry about it! Loving the car!
San Fran and Bay Area seem to be a good place to look, many OCD techies who like to look after their cars well and can afford it!
I also recently purchased an x3 from Houston. Had ppi, picked up car when staying in Austin and drove home to Ca. Car is excellent condition with 100,000 all freeway miles and a lot cheaper than in SOcal.
Good luck with your search.
njbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:39 PM   #13

Garage
I got lucky and found one that had already had the IMS replaced.

I was on my way home from seeing another POS Boxster and determined I was giving up my search - when the guy called me (returning a call from a few weeks before)...keep in mind, my search took 18 months (I fully concur with what njbray says above about not rushing!!)

The guy was an attorney general and spent all kinds of crazy money on my 2000 S - the first owner had it 11 years and only drove it 30k...this guy spent over $6k in 2 yrs/20k miles. He repaired all the normal stuff, plus a clutch, RMS and LNE IMS (and he did the 60k checkup at 50k, since the car sat a lot - yeah for me!!!) He had records for everything he had done and carfax corroborated what he told me about the first owner.

I made an offer, before seeing the car in person, and drove 300 miles to get it. No PPI. I knew I was gambling, but this guy seemed trustworthy as well - heck he was an AG - I could not imagine he would risk his reputation by trying to scam me. The real gold came when I was able to talk to the shop that had done all the maintenance for him - Import Performance in Wilmington...they gave me solid info and a full print out of all the data they had on the car...jackpot!

I am a little suspect of PPIs if the car is already in pretty good shape. I am well versed in mechanics, having owned and repaired over 30 different cars in my life - including having rebuilt several 914 type IV engines- so I took the chance without a proper PPI. I think Jake Raby is the only one who can do a PPI I would pay for, but he does not do them any more Unless the PPI includes a Blackstone report, oil filter inspection, leak down test and paint test, I just would not have a lot of faith in it.
Previous: '71 914 2.2 - TX license plate: "E-GO"....'73 914 1.7....'74 914 1.8....'73 914 2.0 - Saturn yellow with all original 2.0 options- R.I.P..... '74 914 1.8 with 916 body kit.... '72 914 1.7 - my very first car
Also: '09 Cooper Clubman....'90 Miata.... '80 MGB.... '76 TR-7
Ebell914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 03:23 PM   #14

Congratulations on finding what sounds like a great Boxster. I also found that there are alot of POS Boxsters out there (between AZ and CA there are a ton to pick from)in my search over a year ago and when you find one that has been loved that you need to jump on it. With prices on Boxsters what they are these types of cars IMHO are worth every penny. With many of the big ticket items taken care of on this car it sounds like you may have really scored big.

Remember on this forum we need pictures and details or else it didn't happen.

Enjoy and hope to see you on this forum.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 03:56 PM   #15

I agree, don't rush. That said, I bought the first one I looked at, 2 weeks after I saw it on Ebay! You just have to go with what you find; I guess I was lucky .
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:23 AM   #16
pjq

I bought my 2004 S long distance via the internet.
I needed someone to look out for my interest so I hired an independent garage in the Houston area (Koby Motors) to carry out the PPI. I started out looking for a reputable mechanic via PCA site who could do the PPI. After researching that mechanic I called to make a PPI appointment but he was unable to but after talking he did recommend Koby Motors. They looked after my interest as best as possible, i would use them again if needed. In Maine I would use European Auto Surgeons.
To check the IMSB its a big job, you need to drop the transmission to see the bottom of the IMSB flange and remove the oil filter to cut open for inspection. For me the preferred method would be to drop the transmission, remove flywheel and clutch then you can see the IMSB flange as well as RMS. Then remove oil filter cut it open and inspect, drop oil pan and inspect. Practically... if it hasn't been changed by a reputable garage with a proven part, build it into the cost and change the IMSB before you drive the car. For a basic PPI, the IMSB will be inspected by looking at the bell housing to see if there are any sign's of oil at the bottom of the bell housing.
Approximately 1.5 years after I bought my car the IMSB failed, that is after Koby's PPI report told me it looked good, Baton Rouge Porsche told me the engine and car was good, Halifax Porsche told me the engine and car looked good, a local independent VW/porsche mechanic told me it looked good. So the point is I don't think any one truly knows the state of the IMSB without pulling it and doing an inspection and at that point you install the new upgraded IMSB, build it into the vehicle cost.
My car now has the IMS with pinned sprockets and triple row IMSB. I had to send it away to LN Engineering to have this done and I do not have the sticker shown by PORSCHE9 but I do have the paper work.

The safest way to send money, bank to bank wire transfer (most traceable).

Transport Trucking, it takes time for pickup and delivery. If your buying this car to drive and you can find the time, then pick it up yourself and go for a GREAT joy ride you won't regret it. Change out the IMSB first if it hasn't been done.
pjq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:38 AM   #17

Garage
PPI's are BS waste of time. They are going to do what is stated earlier. They will look the VIN up and say this is the service history anything that was not done by Porsche they will say needs to be done. Most PPI's will not even tell you the check engine light is on. Or maybe at best they will say it's on but not plug in and tell you the code or reason for the CEL. PPI is to look the car over and make sure it does not need brakes today and overall is safe to drive. A car with a torn roof and torn seats, 4/32 left on the tires and paint that looks like it was sanded can pass a PPI with flying colors if it's always been serviced at Porsche as an example. For the heck of it ask them exactly what's done in the PPI. PPI = road worthy safety inspection nothing more. You are lucky if they take the car out of the parking lot and put it on the left for the $300 inspection. People put way to much trust in what a PPI does for them.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:47 AM   #18

Garage
To add to my rant on PPI my last vehicle purchase was out of state and would not pass state inspection for registration due to a CEL. The Indy I was buying from had to take it to the main dealer to have the computer recoded due to a recall that involved the CEL. While it was at the main dealer I called asking about having a PPI done while it was there. They said it was driven here so there is really no need for us to charge you $300 to tell you it's safe to drive on the road. I questioned that and he said they get calls all the time for PPI's and it's to give people piece of mind that the vehicle is safe to drive with the family.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:56 AM   #19
On the slippery slope

Garage
well part of the purpose of the PPI is to determine the condition of the car and its components.

True, depending on who does it and their knowledge, it will vary to how useful and what info you get.

For my PPI, the car was put up on the rack and a complete full detailed inspection was done to everything visible. He noted that my tranny did not have cosmoline on it and thus it was highly likely it had been changed. In checking with the local Porsche dealers, he found out that the car had been regularly serviced and maintained at the dealer and in fact it had been a warranty replacement on the tranny at 3k miles.
He also did a 20 minute test drive over varying roads and pulled codes and checked overrevs

End result. He told me he would drive the car to Florida tomorrow without any reservation.

Now of course, my guy owns a boatload of Porsches and has been working on them for 40 years. He is also a former member of a few of the Porsche Motorsports racing teams as both a technician and test driver, so he actually does know the cars.

Was that a guarantee that I would not ever have a problem with the car or that it would not self-destruct 2 weeks later, of course not. It did how ever tell me that it was a solid car that was well maintained.

Piece of mind
YMMV

2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
long distance ppi