View Single Post
Old 10-17-2014, 05:23 AM   #16
pjq

I bought my 2004 S long distance via the internet.
I needed someone to look out for my interest so I hired an independent garage in the Houston area (Koby Motors) to carry out the PPI. I started out looking for a reputable mechanic via PCA site who could do the PPI. After researching that mechanic I called to make a PPI appointment but he was unable to but after talking he did recommend Koby Motors. They looked after my interest as best as possible, i would use them again if needed. In Maine I would use European Auto Surgeons.
To check the IMSB its a big job, you need to drop the transmission to see the bottom of the IMSB flange and remove the oil filter to cut open for inspection. For me the preferred method would be to drop the transmission, remove flywheel and clutch then you can see the IMSB flange as well as RMS. Then remove oil filter cut it open and inspect, drop oil pan and inspect. Practically... if it hasn't been changed by a reputable garage with a proven part, build it into the cost and change the IMSB before you drive the car. For a basic PPI, the IMSB will be inspected by looking at the bell housing to see if there are any sign's of oil at the bottom of the bell housing.
Approximately 1.5 years after I bought my car the IMSB failed, that is after Koby's PPI report told me it looked good, Baton Rouge Porsche told me the engine and car was good, Halifax Porsche told me the engine and car looked good, a local independent VW/porsche mechanic told me it looked good. So the point is I don't think any one truly knows the state of the IMSB without pulling it and doing an inspection and at that point you install the new upgraded IMSB, build it into the vehicle cost.
My car now has the IMS with pinned sprockets and triple row IMSB. I had to send it away to LN Engineering to have this done and I do not have the sticker shown by PORSCHE9 but I do have the paper work.

The safest way to send money, bank to bank wire transfer (most traceable).

Transport Trucking, it takes time for pickup and delivery. If your buying this car to drive and you can find the time, then pick it up yourself and go for a GREAT joy ride you won't regret it. Change out the IMSB first if it hasn't been done.
pjq is offline   Reply With Quote