View Single Post
Old 10-17-2014, 06:56 AM   #19
JayG
On the slippery slope

Garage
well part of the purpose of the PPI is to determine the condition of the car and its components.

True, depending on who does it and their knowledge, it will vary to how useful and what info you get.

For my PPI, the car was put up on the rack and a complete full detailed inspection was done to everything visible. He noted that my tranny did not have cosmoline on it and thus it was highly likely it had been changed. In checking with the local Porsche dealers, he found out that the car had been regularly serviced and maintained at the dealer and in fact it had been a warranty replacement on the tranny at 3k miles.
He also did a 20 minute test drive over varying roads and pulled codes and checked overrevs

End result. He told me he would drive the car to Florida tomorrow without any reservation.

Now of course, my guy owns a boatload of Porsches and has been working on them for 40 years. He is also a former member of a few of the Porsche Motorsports racing teams as both a technician and test driver, so he actually does know the cars.

Was that a guarantee that I would not ever have a problem with the car or that it would not self-destruct 2 weeks later, of course not. It did how ever tell me that it was a solid car that was well maintained.

Piece of mind
YMMV
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is online now   Reply With Quote