Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2014, 11:24 AM   #21
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
I don't think this race had anything to do with NASCAR, did it?
Correct, nothing to do with NASCAR.

This was a Sprint car race (open wheel cars on dirt tracks) held at Canandaigua Motorsports Park (north of Syracuse, NY).

NASCAR is racing at Watkins Glen today which is about 80 miles southwest of Syracuse.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 08-10-2014 at 11:31 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:29 AM   #22

Garage
I doubt anything will come of it. There is absolutely no evidence of foul play. His defense only has to be that he didn't see him til the last second because of the car right in front of him.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:21 PM   #23

Last edited by RedTele58; 08-11-2014 at 06:31 AM.
RedTele58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:39 PM   #24
Certified Boxster Addict

"Tony Stewart will not face criminal charges right now after a Saturday night incident in which Stewart's car struck and killed 20-year-old Kevin Ward Jr. during a sprint car race at Canandaigua (N.Y.) Motorsports Park.

In a news conference shortly after 3 p.m. ET Sunday, Ontario County (N.Y.) Sheriff Phillip C. Povero said, "At this moment there are no facts or evidence that would support a criminal charge or criminal intent.""

Sheriff says no criminal charges will be filed against Tony Stewart | FOX Sports
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:44 PM   #25
Damn Yankee

Garage
Very intelligent and eloquent post RedTele.

It takes two to tango. Ward paid for his actions, now it's time for Tony to pay for his.

Maybe this arrogant, violent, big dick trend of bullying will finally end, or at least be subject to fines and discipline.

TO

Last edited by TeamOxford; 08-10-2014 at 12:46 PM.
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:44 PM   #26

If we all saw the same video than many are making big assumptions (typical). What I'm wondering is why TS car is over steering while under a yellow, as he hits the other driver. Was he on the throttle as many conclude or swerving hard to avoid and encountering over steer? Obviously ( to most), such a sad, sad incident-- I mean 20 yrs old....
Old 08-10-2014, 01:11 PM   #27

Quote:
What's interesting is searching for actual event witness quotes.

Read the comments and witness quotes...

Video: Tony Stewart Runs Over Driver During Confrontation, Killing Him
I watched this video, repeatedly watching the moment of impact. What I saw was that Tony turned the wheels to the right and blipped the throttle, just prior to impact, which would have flipped the tail to the left, away from the person on the track. You can see the back end kick to the left just a little, a little too late. My supposition, and it is only that, is that TS picked him up out of the corner of his eye and tried to take an evasive maneuver.

Either way, this is going to be a mess. I doubt we will ever see TS in a car again.
ianacole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 01:25 PM   #28

I'm certainly NOT taking sides in this incident. It is a tragedy to be sure. But you should never, ever get out of your race car onto the track to confront someone.
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 01:37 PM   #29

Quote:
I don't think this race had anything to do with NASCAR, did it?
Trust me the family's lawyers will name Stewart, NASCAR, and anyone who allowed Stewart to enter this race. And they will find a way to argue that the wrist slaps he's received in the past contribued/permitted his status as an 'safe' driver whose aggression was incompatible with a junior formula.... or something to that effect. And a bunch of other stuff that a top dollar law firm will think of. And being that the event took place in NY state where the Governor is potential candidate for higher office, and not in a NASCAR home turf state like North Carolina, means its not just a local prosecutor's call.
The fact that the guy who wrecked him is also the guy who ran him over is very damning (from a victim's lawyer view) and not remotely a risk that NASCAR and Stewart's lawyers are going to gamble with in front of a jury. The family's trial lawyer will simply run "Tony Stewart's greatest "hits"' of deliberate spins and crashes in front of a jury to show he's a hot head, dangerous and skilled enough to know that he should have kept to the inside instead of driving close enough, presumably to flip him off or worse scare him, to have put the deceased in danger. Thats where the state prosecutor will be pondering Stewarts actions as "depraved indifference" or whatever they call it in New York state. And its not just criminal intent as the Sheriff mentioned under the prosecutor's consideration, but also criminal negligence. Frankly I'm amazed that the Sherrif has come out so unequivocally in Stewart's favor at this stage when all evidence that may exist hasnt even been gathered yet. But as a civil matter, the defendants won't let it go that far even if plaintiffs would love to settle during trial where the stakes go up ten fold.

Either way NASCAR will be writing one giant check whose sum will of course be 'confidential'. A NASCAR team owner killing a kid not old to drink a beer has no precedence. Which means they will be swinging for the fences.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 08-10-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:10 PM   #30

Garage
There is a track in North Carolina where dirty stuff like this goes down all the time. It seems pretty common for antics on a dirt track, weather dissing, or legitimately seeing red. Serious reason to stay in your vehicle. However, TS seems to have clearly been attempting to do something, weather it be a scare tactic, diss, or intention to hit. It seems fairly common with hot headed drivers on dirt.

Sorry that i have forgotten the name of the North Carolina track, it is the one that is so small that drivers must pit outside of the track.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:15 PM   #31

Horrific to see such am ambitious young man life being ended so early. Respect and my prayers goes to both families.

I wouldn't want to appear trying to defend any one, but it looks as if TS tried to rev the car hoping to drift it away from him. Clearly Ward was too close, TS saw and knew that. He also knew, as an experienced driver, that the car would have drifted downward when reved up.... obviously that was TS's only way to avoid getting that kid hit by the back wheel. What I think happened here is TS just decided to do so too late.

And for info; No drivers/racers, TS or whoever, has any sort-of "malicious intentions" as described by some of the medias (sad to see in fact). That just doesn't exist. What the media are doing is not good for the industry at all. Not the type of event and reporting those involved in mosports wants to see happening at this particular moment.

I really feel sad for both of those guys' families horrific incident, for both sides
Old 08-10-2014, 07:09 PM   #32
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Horrific to see such am ambitious young man life being ended so early. Respect and my prayers goes to both families.

I wouldn't want to appear trying to defend any one, but it looks as if TS tried to rev the car hoping to drift it away from him. Clearly Ward was too close, TS saw and knew that. He also knew, as an experienced driver, that the car would have drifted downward when reved up.... obviously that was TS's only way to avoid getting that kid hit by the back wheel. What I think happened here is TS just decided to do so too late.

And for info; No drivers/racers, TS or whoever, has any sort-of "malicious intentions" as described by some of the medias (sad to see in fact). That just doesn't exist. What the media are doing is not good for the industry at all. Not the type of event and reporting those involved in mosports wants to see happening at this particular moment.

I really feel sad for both of those guys' families horrific incident, for both sides
Not a NAScAR fan, but it's my understanding that TS has a long history of poor attitude and sportsmanship, intentionally spinning out rival cars, and has been fined repeatedly. While not malicious, it seems he could possibly have been reckless or retaliating. With the bank of that track, any rear end break free would cause down slope slide, no?

With 15 or so other cars on the track it's nearly impossible to say the rev noise was his car. Don't all these cars have to tap the gas to keep moving, not like a normal car?

I did stupid things at 20.......(sadly, still do...)
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:09 PM   #33

WTF is that dumbass running out in the middle of the track for??
Old 08-10-2014, 07:12 PM   #34
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawleyD View Post
To be that hometown guy who put his helmet through TS's window and get noticed?

Nobody claims the initial maneuver was against any rules, didn't look like TS sent him into the wall intentionally when he wrecked & spun out.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:10 PM   #35

Quote:
To be that hometown guy who put his helmet through TS's window and get noticed?

Nobody claims the initial maneuver was against any rules, didn't look like TS sent him into the wall intentionally when he wrecked & spun out.
He just had to be a 'tough guy' and run out in front of everybody. Probably wanted him to get out of his car too and fist fight. That'll show' em!

Old 08-10-2014, 08:25 PM   #36
Mechanic

Please

That dumb ass local 20 yo kid climbs out of his car after being schooled by a pro (mistake #1), then RUNS INTO TRAFFIC! (mistake #2). Most people on the national (TV) level never see what goes on in the trenches at these bullring local events. That's why Tony (and I'm no fan - jerk) loves these events. Have we all forgotten what real racing is?

I tell every one at the driver's meetings for the club I direct to STAY IN YOUR CAR!
There is one exception to this rule - If your car is on fire, please exit the vehicle....

Nuff said.

Hans

Oh sorry, Just got a '98 Yellow Boxster!

Last edited by Wrencher; 08-11-2014 at 08:04 AM.
Wrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:25 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawleyD View Post
That's what the kid grew up watching in NASCAR where he saw his idols pretty much doing the same with rarely a severe fine or expulsion from the next race. It's part of the stock car culture. In open wheel racing Michael Schumacher would run down to the McLaren garage to scream "Coulthard you you tried to kill me!". But he did so only after the race because the fines for doing anything on a hot circuit would be severe and would fall on the team and not just the driver. NASCAR had a hand in downplaying the importance of safety, not just in tantrums where the driver gets out of the car but in countless other retaliatory and deliberate wrecks at high speeds with 20+ cars in tow and nowhere to go. But this kid was an adult and is ultimately responsible for his actions. Albeit heavily influenced by a series that has never taken the hillbilly aspects out of what is otherwise a very competitive and professional form of racing. This was bound to happen in a junior formula sooner than later.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:42 AM   #38

Off topic

I live in extreme North Alabama, the foothills of the appalachia. Nascar has never held any and I mean any allure to me, don't know what it is. I actually volunteered about 6 years ago to work at Talladega to help with Parking, something I will never do again. I did not even stay for the race and I was given free tickets, I actually went to the line and sol my 2 tickets for $30 to simply pay for my gas to go home. This was way under the value of the ticket price so I Reversed Scalped...no law against that. I could not stand the culture that existed around the track, total debauchery and hedonism. I have many friends who feel the same way that also grew up here. I guess I am being a little sensitive to anyone in the south being referred to as "Hillbilly" , I suppose that fits me as my grandfather actually served two terms in a work farm (think cool hand Luke) for making and selling Moonshine in violation of The Volstead Act. Many "Hillbillies, Tar Heels, Rednecks and Yankees gave everything so we would not be speaking German and only driving German right now.

Dwight
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:10 AM   #39

Garage
Exclamation

I really don't know anything.
But if you on a track and are hit or break down.
Isn't it a rule that you stay in the car.
Until a wrecker (tow truck) comes
Or a corner worker arrives?

Jinx
Old 08-11-2014, 07:23 AM   #40
Gone

Garage
I only know 2 things for sure about this sad event.

1. I can't say for sure what happened. Not being in the car with TS- impossible to make judgement.
2. TS has a lot to loose and would be an idiot to try to hit someone intentionally and risk loosing everything.

But since the race was at night, the guy coming for him was in black suit with black helmet and TS was driving with a helmet on- my gut feeling it was a total accident.

Davev is offline   Reply With Quote