Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2014, 07:31 AM   #41

Interesting reading the comments on this

Lets me know where a few people stand in life

I haven't met a racer (or racer family) that was interested in suing anyone (ever) especially dirt track people.

I believe TS wheels turning to the right? Is when the right front wheel clips the kid.

I believe the engine rev we hear? could be from one of the other cars on track. The video person is nearly in the middle of the stands. During a caution, it is common practice to "test" traction on the opposite end of the track with the issue. All it takes is a "blip" with these alcohol burning direct drive bad boys to determine what kind of traction you have up and down the track from inside to outside of the track.

Tracks I *regularly* visited for World Of Outlaws Sprint car racing

Devils Bowl Mesquite TX
San Jose CA.
Kennedale TX
Calistoga CA.
Perris CA.

We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:39 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post

I haven't met a racer (or racer family) that was interested in suing anyone (ever) especially dirt track people.
You mean while those people were still alive?

Way different ball game here now.

P.S.
Expect to see a HUGE clean up and stepping up of fines/penalties against NASCAR's trademark brawls, helmet throwing, etc. and the deliberate on-track incidents that lead to these WWF moments in the first place. This is a serious black eye for their sport even if it occurred on a dirt track.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 08-11-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:51 AM   #43

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
You mean while those people were still alive?

Way different ball game here now.
This is a Boxster forum im sure at least one Lawyer visits here....

Either way, it is a high risk sport. It seems to me that a lot of the risk is assumed by WJ. Nevermind the fact he was grossly negligent in getting out of his car and approaching moving cars.

That being said while it will be hard to prove any criminal intent on TS's part, there could be money to be "won" I bet.

All we can do is sit back and watch it unfold, teach your kids to count to ten and of course conjecture here on the forum.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:35 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo1186 View Post

That being said while it will be hard to prove any criminal intent on TS's part, there could be money to be "won" I bet.
Yes but the law also must consider criminal negligence when it leads to a loss of life. You're not off the hook just because you didn't act with intent but were still found to be acting in a reckless manner and this leads to a fatality.
Maybe you can blame the track officials but Stewart wasn't keeping to the far inside when a disabled car was on the track and track workers were responding. Although to be fair, with the red mist, the deceased would have probably kept walking into the track until he could get close enough to Stewart's car. Or maybe he wouldn't have walked out that far. We'll never know now. But what you can tell very clearly from the video is that Stewart was driving way too close to the disabled vehicle and traveling too fast relative to the speed and distance of the car that had just passed (unlike TS this driver looks like he slowed down because of the accident). I'd be curious to see how a prosecutor explains this away.
I read in one article that many online commenters were saying that Stewart didn't do enough to try and avoid the kid, which really implies reckless driving from their view.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 08-11-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:57 AM   #45
I am my own mechanic....

Civil suits have FAR less burden of proof. Maybe no criminal charges a unanimous jury would find, but civil is way different. Ask OJ.

I say settlement with TS racing is eminent. NASCAR? That will go to trial.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:22 AM   #46

Interesting history:

"This was not Stewart’s first accident at Canandaigua ... He was involved in a 15-car wreck at the track in July 2013, and two drivers were taken to the hospital. Stewart later apologized for being too aggressive on the track and causing the crash."

The link above has the video to the incident. It seems that the car that was ahead of Stewart kept within half a car's width to the inside of the track like many of the previous cars that were driving past slowly and keeping their distance from Ward. Whearas Stewart was much closer to Ward's disabled car and traveling faster. Stewart's got some explaining to do for sure.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 08-11-2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:41 AM   #47

A court of law will need to determine if TS actions were illegal. Independantly, I belevie that NASCAR should ban him for life due to his reckless actions. I WAS a TS fan...
runjmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:44 AM   #48

Garage
Reckless? I really dont see that on Stewart's part. I see a 20 year old hot head who thought in a dumb moment he would really show Stewart. He lost. The crash itself didn't seem to be Stewart's fault either but what do I know. Sure Stewart's a hot head but I challenge anyone here on a dimly lit dirt track sitting in a sprint car with a helmet on under caution to find the man wearing a dark suit who shouldn't be on the track to begin with.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:30 PM   #49
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by runjmc2 View Post
A court of law will need to determine if TS actions were illegal. Independantly, I belevie that NASCAR should ban him for life due to his reckless actions. I WAS a TS fan...
A court of law only decides who told the better story and presented more compelling evidence, not who was actually guilty or innocent. Having watched the OJ trial and having been through a custody battle, I will never be convinced otherwise.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:44 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
A court of law only decides who told the better story and presented more compelling evidence, not who was actually guilty or innocent. Having watched the OJ trial and having been through a custody battle, I will never be convinced otherwise.
I agree. Taking away his primary source of income as a consequence (e.g. NASCAR ban) seems an effective and just punishment.....one that will not likey come in court.

I stand by my reckles comment. My opinion is that REGARDLESS of the situation all drivers have a responsibilty for someone on the course outside of a car.

Do you think that guy was running into TS's line? NO WAY. TS had to see him and went out of his way to get close, "gun it" and we see the result. If TS did nothing but hold his line the guy would not have run under his wheel.

Did TS intend to hit him, absolutley not. No one knows the intent but it looks very clear that TS did not act responsibily he acted with emotion and was RECKLESS!!!
runjmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:06 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
I challenge anyone here on a dimly lit dirt track sitting in a sprint car with a helmet on under caution to find the man wearing a dark suit who shouldn't be on the track to begin with.
TS didn't need to look for a driver in black. Stewart could oviously see that driver's car was disabled and given the reduced engine noise from the caution, so coudl everyone else. Given his experience, TS knows that the safest path would have been the one furthest from the disabled car.
But for reasons that still remain to be explained, he chose to take another path around the track during that caution. Either because he was in the process of making a point, which would infer that he was able to see that Ward was on the track when TS came around the corner at a reduced speed. But rather than moving to his left to the inner part of the track like most of the other cars observing the caution, somehow this experienced driver ends up drifting up the track towards the disabled car. Why was he doing this??

Allegedly TS had a GoPro camera running during the race. Seems to be like if the video is helpful to him, and explains why he moved up the track instead of to the inside, it will be released.
If it isn't helpful his laywers will make try to make sure no one ever sees it. Either way on-board film of the moment Ward was run over will be pretty inflamatory.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 08-11-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:17 PM   #52

TS wasn't the only one that took the high line under yellow... watch the video again.
ianacole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:38 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianacole View Post
TS wasn't the only one that took the high line under yellow... watch the video again.
you mean the guy who isn't a full time professional driver that went high?

TS knew where the safer part of the track was during a caution. What another driver decided to do, however unsafe or not, really has no bearing on his actions. Afterall, TS was in a wreck on this very track a year ago from being overly aggresive by his own admission. One would presume that safety would be more on his mind than the others.

but again, TS own video will shed some light on this, so to speak.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 08-11-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:58 PM   #54
Certified Boxster Addict

Seems like its hard to make assumptions about what TS may have been thinking, feeling, and even seeing.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:06 PM   #55

Garage
This is a little bit of a different conversation... however, I keep reading like in this thread title that WJ was a rival of TS. Seemingly, this is only to sell some news cuz I find it hard to believe this 20 yr old was TS's "rival".
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:09 PM   #56
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo1186 View Post
This is a little bit of a different conversation... however, I keep reading like in this thread title that WJ was a rival of TS. Seemingly, this is only to sell some news cuz I find it hard to believe this 20 yr old was TS's "rival".
I took that from the headline I read. Aren't all competitors 'rivals', or only real contenders?
Old 08-11-2014, 05:24 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
you mean the guy who isn't a full time professional driver that went high?

TS knew where the safer part of the track was during a caution. What another driver decided to do, however unsafe or not, really has no bearing on his actions. Afterall, TS was in a wreck on this very track a year ago from being overly aggresive by his own admission. One would presume that safety would be more on his mind than the others.

but again, TS own video will shed some light on this, so to speak.
Every racer should know where the safer part of the track is ... "professional" or otherwise. There were a number of cars that took the high line, including the car right in front of TS that swerved down at the last minute. Just because he was in a wreck last year doesn't mean safety should be any higher of a priority for him than any other racer on the track.

What does being in a wreck a year ago have to do with his actions this time? You pointed out earlier that every other driver was low, and now that you've been shown that they weren't now "has no bearing?"
Old 08-11-2014, 05:34 PM   #58
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianacole View Post
Every racer should know where the safer part of the track is ... "professional" or otherwise. There were a number of cars that took the high line, including the car right in front of TS that swerved down at the last minute. Just because he was in a wreck last year doesn't mean safety should be any higher of a priority for him than any other racer on the track.

What does being in a wreck a year ago have to do with his actions this time? You pointed out earlier that every other driver was low, and now that you've been shown that they weren't now "has no bearing?"
They interviewed the driver you mention in front of TS. He said "well, I saw him, and can only assume he did.."
Old 08-11-2014, 05:46 PM   #59

Well, we know what they say about assumptions ... and the young man was in a different location by the time TS got there. And, for all we know Tony was watching the car in front of him wondering what he was doing and looked up at the last moment, too late.

TS may have very well made a stupid decision. I DON'T KNOW. But to come on here and try to draw people to a conclusion based on minimal facts and speculation, comparing his actions to others at the track doing when they are exhibiting the same behavior and saying he should have done something different, is unfair.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:53 PM   #60

Assumptions? We're not even past the stage of answering the big questions.
While its premature to condemn him as sharing in the guilt its also unfair to the deceased
To claim his death was entirely his own fault the way this Sheriff has.
Stewart's video will be analyzed and we'll see why he hit the gas so close to the disabled car and why he was that close in the first place. It may exonerate him or it could be the end of him. But if this were anyone one us behind the wheel many would absolutely find themselves facing charges of reckless endangerment. All it takes is one prosecutor who isn't convinced of your claim that you did everything possible to avoid a fatality. That video raises more questions than it answers.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 08-11-2014 at 07:05 PM.