Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2014, 11:46 AM   #1
Certified Boxster Addict

James Garner

Some of us older fellows will remember James Garner for making the "Rockford Turn" famous...

Rockford Chase Compliation

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:40 PM   #2
Rennzenn

Garage
Nice. Definitely remember The Rockford Files. I know Garner was a car guy, just like McQueen ... Did Garner do most of his own car stunts??
Old 07-20-2014, 12:51 PM   #3

Garage
Garner was a good driver, he did a lot of his own stunts. he drove in the movie Gran Prix as well. Get the DVD if you haven't seen it. Classic racing film.
Blackcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:19 PM   #4

Garage
So sad grand prix one of the best movies ever made
He was a great actor
Old 07-20-2014, 02:40 PM   #5

'Rockfish' was an original. I loved that show. RIP James.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:07 AM   #6

I watched Rockford Files in reruns when I was a kid, and I thought James Garner was awesome. He handled himself when there was trouble, but didn't take himself too seriously. He was a real man.

I contrast that to the twenty-something "men" out there today, and I came up with a list of things Rockford would never do:

Live with mom and dad
Play video games into his mid-20's
Worry about gluten
Ask his dad for money
Moisturize
Split the check with his date

What the heck happened to these new generations of men?

RIP to one of the good ones . . .
Old 07-21-2014, 07:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche Chick View Post
I watched Rockford Files in reruns when I was a kid, and I thought James Garner was awesome. He handled himself when there was trouble, but didn't take himself too seriously. He was a real man.

I contrast that to the twenty-something "men" out there today, and I came up with a list of things Rockford would never do:

Live with mom and dad
Worry about gluten
Ask his dad for money
Moisturize

Gardiner will be missed, but his legacy and example lives on in reruns.

The new generation of men? Raised by single parent mothers is the problem.
Absentee fathers set a bad role model example.

Not that mothers don't do a good job, but a young man needs the balance and influence of a good man, which seem hard to find these days.

I've seen it first hand with some step kids. They were wussies and it took a lot of work to give them the balance they needed and dewussify them and get them on a real man path.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:54 AM   #8

Quote:

Live with mom and dad
Worry about gluten
Ask his dad for money
Moisturize

He certainly was one of the good ones - although to be clear - he did borrow money from his dad. Lots of money in fact. And while he never 'split' the check, he did leave his date WITH the whole check sometimes! A lot of the humour of the show was all around the fact he didn't have any money.
At least that's the beauty of good actors like this - they live on and on in reruns!
Giller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:51 AM   #9

Support your local Sheriff

What a great movie when I was a kid, still love the shooting test with the big washer.
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:27 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
Nice. Definitely remember The Rockford Files. I know Garner was a car guy, just like McQueen ... Did Garner do most of his own car stunts??
The famous "J" turn was usually done by Bobby Ore. This is one of the 1st stunts you learn in his stunt driving course. I have taken it 3 times, it is alot of fun & alot of work at the same time.

"Support your local Sheriff" made me a James Garner fan. Got hooked on Rockford Files years later. Paradise Cove in Malibu is the former site where his trailer was.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:08 PM   #11

I used to watch that with my dad. Great times.
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:50 AM   #12

Quote:

Live with mom and dad
Worry about gluten
Ask his dad for money
Moisturize

Living with mom and dad is nothing to be ashamed of for millenialls. They are saddled with more college debt than any previous generation. And entry level white collar jobs are going to India while blue collar jobs go to China. The twenty something's didn't create that problem. The only sure bet for them to get out of the house seems to be learn a trade while they flip burgers during the day. I don't envy them.

Worrying about gluten is not a bad thing either (albeit a marketing gimick) but I don't fault general awareness to what's going in your mouth. The generation before these millenialls are one of the most overweight and unhealthy in our history. These 'gluten foods' are typically packed with processed sugars and and processed grains that even birds will pass up when somethign real is layed next to it.

The video game thing is kinda of weird. But so is sitting on an iPad or Laptop for hours on end instead of being out in the real world riding a bike or interacting with human beings. Same kind of thing in my opinion.

Also, while "men used to be men" back in the 70's, let's not pretend that the best arrangement for the female gender. Which is what I like about that show Mad Men, the get all overly romantic about the past.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:45 PM   #13

One step forward- two steps back...
Old 07-23-2014, 01:19 PM   #14

This thread deserves some pics.

Check out the camera vehicle...

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:49 PM   #15

Yep, a sad day for sure.

My family used to watch Rockford Files when it was prime time TV and my sister and I watched the re-runs when we were in college. Quite sure we had every episode memorized.

Rockford turn, J turn. I learned it as a "bootlegger turn". Tried one once. Once. In my parents Chevette, with which I was quite competent at sliding into parking spots with the E-brake.

Scared the shiz out of myself. I thought it was going to roll for sure. Haven't tried one since.

RIP James. You were one of the good ones.
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Living with mom and dad is nothing to be ashamed of for millenialls. They are saddled with more college debt than any previous generation. And entry level white collar jobs are going to India while blue collar jobs go to China. The twenty something's didn't create that problem. The only sure bet for them to get out of the house seems to be learn a trade while they flip burgers during the day. I don't envy them.

Worrying about gluten is not a bad thing either (albeit a marketing gimick) but I don't fault general awareness to what's going in your mouth. The generation before these millenialls are one of the most overweight and unhealthy in our history. These 'gluten foods' are typically packed with processed sugars and and processed grains that even birds will pass up when somethign real is layed next to it.

The video game thing is kinda of weird. But so is sitting on an iPad or Laptop for hours on end instead of being out in the real world riding a bike or interacting with human beings. Same kind of thing in my opinion.

Also, while "men used to be men" back in the 70's, let's not pretend that the best arrangement for the female gender. Which is what I like about that show Mad Men, the get all overly romantic about the past.
PL, I like it when you overanalyze.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
Gardiner will be missed, but his legacy and example lives on in reruns.

The new generation of men? Raised by single parent mothers is the problem.
Absentee fathers set a bad role model example.

Not that mothers don't do a good job, but a young man needs the balance and influence of a good man, which seem hard to find these days.

I've seen it first hand with some step kids. They were wussies and it took a lot of work to give them the balance they needed and dewussify them and get them on a real man path.
+1, enough said!

Garner will be missed.

06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote