986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   James Garner (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/53302-james-garner.html)

thstone 07-20-2014 11:46 AM

James Garner

Some of us older fellows will remember James Garner for making the "Rockford Turn" famous...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Pruex3pgX1g?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rockford Chase Compliation

j.fro 07-20-2014 12:40 PM

Nice. Definitely remember The Rockford Files. I know Garner was a car guy, just like McQueen ... Did Garner do most of his own car stunts??

Blackcloud 07-20-2014 12:51 PM

Garner was a good driver, he did a lot of his own stunts. he drove in the movie Gran Prix as well. Get the DVD if you haven't seen it. Classic racing film.

mikesz 07-20-2014 01:19 PM

So sad grand prix one of the best movies ever made
He was a great actor

woodsman 07-20-2014 02:40 PM

'Rockfish' was an original. I loved that show. RIP James.:cheers:

Porsche Chick 07-21-2014 07:07 AM

I watched Rockford Files in reruns when I was a kid, and I thought James Garner was awesome. He handled himself when there was trouble, but didn't take himself too seriously. He was a real man.

I contrast that to the twenty-something "men" out there today, and I came up with a list of things Rockford would never do:

Live with mom and dad
Play video games into his mid-20's
Worry about gluten
Ask his dad for money
Moisturize
Split the check with his date

What the heck happened to these new generations of men?

RIP to one of the good ones . . .

jb92563 07-21-2014 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porsche Chick (Post 410839)
I watched Rockford Files in reruns when I was a kid, and I thought James Garner was awesome. He handled himself when there was trouble, but didn't take himself too seriously. He was a real man.

I contrast that to the twenty-something "men" out there today, and I came up with a list of things Rockford would never do:

Live with mom and dad
Worry about gluten
Ask his dad for money
Moisturize

Gardiner will be missed, but his legacy and example lives on in reruns.

The new generation of men? Raised by single parent mothers is the problem.
Absentee fathers set a bad role model example.

Not that mothers don't do a good job, but a young man needs the balance and influence of a good man, which seem hard to find these days.

I've seen it first hand with some step kids. They were wussies and it took a lot of work to give them the balance they needed and dewussify them and get them on a real man path.

Giller 07-21-2014 07:54 AM

Quote:

Live with mom and dad
Worry about gluten
Ask his dad for money
Moisturize

He certainly was one of the good ones - although to be clear - he did borrow money from his dad. Lots of money in fact. And while he never 'split' the check, he did leave his date WITH the whole check sometimes! A lot of the humour of the show was all around the fact he didn't have any money.
At least that's the beauty of good actors like this - they live on and on in reruns!

Pdwight 07-21-2014 08:51 AM

Support your local Sheriff

What a great movie when I was a kid, still love the shooting test with the big washer.

BYprodriver 07-21-2014 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j.fro (Post 410756)
Nice. Definitely remember The Rockford Files. I know Garner was a car guy, just like McQueen ... Did Garner do most of his own car stunts??

The famous "J" turn was usually done by Bobby Ore. This is one of the 1st stunts you learn in his stunt driving course. I have taken it 3 times, it is alot of fun & alot of work at the same time.

"Support your local Sheriff" made me a James Garner fan. Got hooked on Rockford Files years later. Paradise Cove in Malibu is the former site where his trailer was. :cool:

heliguy 07-21-2014 06:08 PM

I used to watch that with my dad. Great times.

Perfectlap 07-22-2014 08:50 AM

Quote:

Live with mom and dad
Worry about gluten
Ask his dad for money
Moisturize

Living with mom and dad is nothing to be ashamed of for millenialls. They are saddled with more college debt than any previous generation. And entry level white collar jobs are going to India while blue collar jobs go to China. The twenty something's didn't create that problem. The only sure bet for them to get out of the house seems to be learn a trade while they flip burgers during the day. I don't envy them.

Worrying about gluten is not a bad thing either (albeit a marketing gimick) but I don't fault general awareness to what's going in your mouth. The generation before these millenialls are one of the most overweight and unhealthy in our history. These 'gluten foods' are typically packed with processed sugars and and processed grains that even birds will pass up when somethign real is layed next to it.

The video game thing is kinda of weird. But so is sitting on an iPad or Laptop for hours on end instead of being out in the real world riding a bike or interacting with human beings. Same kind of thing in my opinion.

Also, while "men used to be men" back in the 70's, let's not pretend that the best arrangement for the female gender. Which is what I like about that show Mad Men, the get all overly romantic about the past.

woodsman 07-23-2014 12:45 PM

One step forward- two steps back...

Perfectlap 07-23-2014 01:19 PM

This thread deserves some pics.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/028...grande.jpg?669

http://www.drivepast.com/wp-content/...03/gphonda.jpg

Check out the camera vehicle...

http://www.rokemneedlearts.com/carsi...op-500x333.jpg

flaps10 07-23-2014 01:49 PM

Yep, a sad day for sure.

My family used to watch Rockford Files when it was prime time TV and my sister and I watched the re-runs when we were in college. Quite sure we had every episode memorized.

Rockford turn, J turn. I learned it as a "bootlegger turn". Tried one once. Once. In my parents Chevette, with which I was quite competent at sliding into parking spots with the E-brake.

Scared the shiz out of myself. I thought it was going to roll for sure. Haven't tried one since.

RIP James. You were one of the good ones.

Porsche Chick 07-24-2014 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap (Post 411000)
Living with mom and dad is nothing to be ashamed of for millenialls. They are saddled with more college debt than any previous generation. And entry level white collar jobs are going to India while blue collar jobs go to China. The twenty something's didn't create that problem. The only sure bet for them to get out of the house seems to be learn a trade while they flip burgers during the day. I don't envy them.

Worrying about gluten is not a bad thing either (albeit a marketing gimick) but I don't fault general awareness to what's going in your mouth. The generation before these millenialls are one of the most overweight and unhealthy in our history. These 'gluten foods' are typically packed with processed sugars and and processed grains that even birds will pass up when somethign real is layed next to it.

The video game thing is kinda of weird. But so is sitting on an iPad or Laptop for hours on end instead of being out in the real world riding a bike or interacting with human beings. Same kind of thing in my opinion.

Also, while "men used to be men" back in the 70's, let's not pretend that the best arrangement for the female gender. Which is what I like about that show Mad Men, the get all overly romantic about the past.

PL, I like it when you overanalyze. :D

986_c6 07-31-2014 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb92563 (Post 410847)
Gardiner will be missed, but his legacy and example lives on in reruns.

The new generation of men? Raised by single parent mothers is the problem.
Absentee fathers set a bad role model example.

Not that mothers don't do a good job, but a young man needs the balance and influence of a good man, which seem hard to find these days.

I've seen it first hand with some step kids. They were wussies and it took a lot of work to give them the balance they needed and dewussify them and get them on a real man path.

+1, enough said!

Garner will be missed. :(