Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2014, 12:46 PM   #1
Certified Boxster Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,517
James Garner

Some of us older fellows will remember James Garner for making the "Rockford Turn" famous...



Rockford Chase Compliation

__________________
1999 996 C2 - sold - bought back - sold for more
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:40 PM   #2
Rennzenn
 
j.fro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,356
Garage
Nice. Definitely remember The Rockford Files. I know Garner was a car guy, just like McQueen ... Did Garner do most of his own car stunts??
__________________
Rennzenn
Jfro@rennzenn.com
j.fro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:51 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 298
Garage
Garner was a good driver, he did a lot of his own stunts. he drove in the movie Gran Prix as well. Get the DVD if you haven't seen it. Classic racing film.
Blackcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:19 PM   #4
Registered User
 
mikesz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Cranston RI
Posts: 860
Garage
So sad grand prix one of the best movies ever made
He was a great actor
__________________
99 Porsche Boxster
mikesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:40 PM   #5
Registered User
 
woodsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Land of naught
Posts: 1,302
'Rockfish' was an original. I loved that show. RIP James.
__________________
Death is certain, life is not.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:07 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Porsche Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 560
I watched Rockford Files in reruns when I was a kid, and I thought James Garner was awesome. He handled himself when there was trouble, but didn't take himself too seriously. He was a real man.

I contrast that to the twenty-something "men" out there today, and I came up with a list of things Rockford would never do:

Live with mom and dad
Play video games into his mid-20's
Worry about gluten
Ask his dad for money
Moisturize
Split the check with his date

What the heck happened to these new generations of men?

RIP to one of the good ones . . .
__________________
2009 Porsche Boxster - Guards Red/Tan
Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you. – Jeremy Clarkson
Porsche Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:27 AM   #7
Registered User
 
jb92563's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 1,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche Chick View Post
I watched Rockford Files in reruns when I was a kid, and I thought James Garner was awesome. He handled himself when there was trouble, but didn't take himself too seriously. He was a real man.

I contrast that to the twenty-something "men" out there today, and I came up with a list of things Rockford would never do:

Live with mom and dad
Play video games into his mid-20's
Worry about gluten
Ask his dad for money
Moisturize
Split the check with his date

What the heck happened to these new generations of men?

RIP to one of the good ones . . .
Gardiner will be missed, but his legacy and example lives on in reruns.


The new generation of men? Raised by single parent mothers is the problem.
Absentee fathers set a bad role model example.

Not that mothers don't do a good job, but a young man needs the balance and influence of a good man, which seem hard to find these days.

I've seen it first hand with some step kids. They were wussies and it took a lot of work to give them the balance they needed and dewussify them and get them on a real man path.
__________________
"It broke because it wants to be Upgraded "
2012 Porsche Performance Driving School - SanDiego region
2001 Boxster S, Top Speed muffler, (Fred's) Mini Morimotto Projectors, Tarret UDP,
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:54 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Giller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Listowel, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche Chick View Post
I watched Rockford Files in reruns when I was a kid, and I thought James Garner was awesome. He handled himself when there was trouble, but didn't take himself too seriously. He was a real man.

I contrast that to the twenty-something "men" out there today, and I came up with a list of things Rockford would never do:

Live with mom and dad
Play video games into his mid-20's
Worry about gluten
Ask his dad for money
Moisturize
Split the check with his date

What the heck happened to these new generations of men?

RIP to one of the good ones . . .
He certainly was one of the good ones - although to be clear - he did borrow money from his dad. Lots of money in fact. And while he never 'split' the check, he did leave his date WITH the whole check sometimes! A lot of the humour of the show was all around the fact he didn't have any money.
At least that's the beauty of good actors like this - they live on and on in reruns!
Giller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:51 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Pdwight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 2,077
Support your local Sheriff

What a great movie when I was a kid, still love the shooting test with the big washer.
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:27 PM   #10
Registered User
 
BYprodriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: O.C. CA
Posts: 3,290
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
Nice. Definitely remember The Rockford Files. I know Garner was a car guy, just like McQueen ... Did Garner do most of his own car stunts??
The famous "J" turn was usually done by Bobby Ore. This is one of the 1st stunts you learn in his stunt driving course. I have taken it 3 times, it is alot of fun & alot of work at the same time.

"Support your local Sheriff" made me a James Garner fan. Got hooked on Rockford Files years later. Paradise Cove in Malibu is the former site where his trailer was.
__________________
2000 S Speed Yellow LN 3.6L cylinders & pistons, triple row IMSB upgrade, R&R connecting rods, billet tensioner paddle&,oilpump driveshaft.Heads rebuilt by F6I with new valves & springs.Cayman airbox & MAF housing, 996 intake plenum & 75mm T/B. Fabspeedsport converters &Dansk muffler
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:08 PM   #11
Registered User
 
heliguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,111
I used to watch that with my dad. Great times.
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:50 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Perfectlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche Chick View Post
I watched Rockford Files in reruns when I was a kid, and I thought James Garner was awesome. He handled himself when there was trouble, but didn't take himself too seriously. He was a real man.

I contrast that to the twenty-something "men" out there today, and I came up with a list of things Rockford would never do:

Live with mom and dad
Play video games into his mid-20's
Worry about gluten
Ask his dad for money
Moisturize
Split the check with his date

What the heck happened to these new generations of men?

RIP to one of the good ones . . .
Living with mom and dad is nothing to be ashamed of for millenialls. They are saddled with more college debt than any previous generation. And entry level white collar jobs are going to India while blue collar jobs go to China. The twenty something's didn't create that problem. The only sure bet for them to get out of the house seems to be learn a trade while they flip burgers during the day. I don't envy them.

Worrying about gluten is not a bad thing either (albeit a marketing gimick) but I don't fault general awareness to what's going in your mouth. The generation before these millenialls are one of the most overweight and unhealthy in our history. These 'gluten foods' are typically packed with processed sugars and and processed grains that even birds will pass up when somethign real is layed next to it.

The video game thing is kinda of weird. But so is sitting on an iPad or Laptop for hours on end instead of being out in the real world riding a bike or interacting with human beings. Same kind of thing in my opinion.

Also, while "men used to be men" back in the 70's, let's not pretend that the best arrangement for the female gender. Which is what I like about that show Mad Men, the get all overly romantic about the past.
__________________
GT3 Recaro Seats - Boxster Red
GT3 Aero / Carrera 18" 5 spoke / Potenza RE-11
Fabspeed Headers & Noise Maker
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:45 PM   #13
Registered User
 
woodsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Land of naught
Posts: 1,302
One step forward- two steps back...
__________________
Death is certain, life is not.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:19 PM   #14
Registered User
 
Perfectlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,696
This thread deserves some pics.






Check out the camera vehicle...

__________________
GT3 Recaro Seats - Boxster Red
GT3 Aero / Carrera 18" 5 spoke / Potenza RE-11
Fabspeed Headers & Noise Maker
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:49 PM   #15
Registered User
 
flaps10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Tacoma
Posts: 430
Yep, a sad day for sure.

My family used to watch Rockford Files when it was prime time TV and my sister and I watched the re-runs when we were in college. Quite sure we had every episode memorized.

Rockford turn, J turn. I learned it as a "bootlegger turn". Tried one once. Once. In my parents Chevette, with which I was quite competent at sliding into parking spots with the E-brake.

Scared the shiz out of myself. I thought it was going to roll for sure. Haven't tried one since.

RIP James. You were one of the good ones.
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:13 PM   #16
Registered User
 
Porsche Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Living with mom and dad is nothing to be ashamed of for millenialls. They are saddled with more college debt than any previous generation. And entry level white collar jobs are going to India while blue collar jobs go to China. The twenty something's didn't create that problem. The only sure bet for them to get out of the house seems to be learn a trade while they flip burgers during the day. I don't envy them.

Worrying about gluten is not a bad thing either (albeit a marketing gimick) but I don't fault general awareness to what's going in your mouth. The generation before these millenialls are one of the most overweight and unhealthy in our history. These 'gluten foods' are typically packed with processed sugars and and processed grains that even birds will pass up when somethign real is layed next to it.

The video game thing is kinda of weird. But so is sitting on an iPad or Laptop for hours on end instead of being out in the real world riding a bike or interacting with human beings. Same kind of thing in my opinion.

Also, while "men used to be men" back in the 70's, let's not pretend that the best arrangement for the female gender. Which is what I like about that show Mad Men, the get all overly romantic about the past.
PL, I like it when you overanalyze.
__________________
2009 Porsche Boxster - Guards Red/Tan
Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you. – Jeremy Clarkson
Porsche Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:58 PM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Peoples Republic of Kaliforneea
Posts: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
Gardiner will be missed, but his legacy and example lives on in reruns.


The new generation of men? Raised by single parent mothers is the problem.
Absentee fathers set a bad role model example.

Not that mothers don't do a good job, but a young man needs the balance and influence of a good man, which seem hard to find these days.

I've seen it first hand with some step kids. They were wussies and it took a lot of work to give them the balance they needed and dewussify them and get them on a real man path.
+1, enough said!

Garner will be missed.

__________________
02 Boxster (DD sans kids)
03 Dodge Ram Quad Cab (Stuff hauler)
06 Maserati Coupe Cambiocorsa (Personal weekend car)
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page