Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 05:38 PM   #21

Garage
Wow man, that really sucks, at least you didn't get hurt, and damage is probably repairable. Good luck with it though, I'd hate if my Boxster got hurt in any way!

kylekimball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:58 PM   #22
Certified Boxster Addict

Sorry to see all of that damage but glad that you're ok.

As for how to deal with the situation? I can't offer any advice but I can say that being honest, forthright, and prompt certainly didn't work for me.

My silver Boxster was totaled 14 months ago (http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/43878-ahhh-my-car-hit-bad-today.html) and I still haven't been able to completely settle my claim with the drivers insurance company!

The insurance company has delayed, denied, and detoured everything in order to drag this out as long as possible in the hope that I would give up. The adjuster even went so far as to claim that I was partially at fault! (the car was legally parked in front of my house and I wasn't even in the car at the time!!). I just keep re-submitting all of the paperwork each time the claim is denied and go another round.

The good thing is that I didn't need their money in order to move on and build my race car and buy the 996 as a daily driver.

I hope that you don't have a similar experience. Best of luck.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 05-05-2014 at 06:00 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:10 PM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Sorry to see all of that damage but glad that you're ok.

As for how to deal with the situation? I can't offer any advice but I can say that being honest, forthright, and prompt certainly didn't work for me.

My silver Boxster was totaled 14 months ago (http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/43878-ahhh-my-car-hit-bad-today.html) and I still haven't been able to completely settle my claim with the drivers insurance company!

The insurance company has delayed, denied, and detoured everything in order to drag this out as long as possible in the hope that I would give up. The adjuster even went so far as to claim that I was partially at fault! (the car was legally parked in front of my house and I wasn't even in the car at the time!!). I just keep re-submitting all of the paperwork each time the claim is denied and go another round.

The good thing is that I didn't need their money in order to move on and build my race car and buy the 996 as a daily driver.

I hope that you don't have a similar experience. Best of luck.
I am very sorry to hear, seems everyone has had a bad experience and everyone has had a good experience, guess i just have to hucker down and see how things go. Maybe i will come out with an S maybe i will be riding to school in my mothers Camry next year.:ah:
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:35 PM   #24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
Yeah I'm starting to lean more twards totalled... From a bloody parking lot, not sure what I will do but we know some very good lawyers If it comes to that to get the money necessarily out of this
When I was teaching my kids to drive, I told each one to be very careful in parking lots. So many accidents happen there I had one years ago in a truck when someone pulled out and hit me in the side, they never even looked. It would have been worse had I not swerved as much as I could trying to avoid them. Glad you are ok, good luck dealing with the adjuster. Stand your ground. Cars and parts can be replaced.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:39 PM   #25
On the slippery slope

Garage
If the insurance company totals it out, insist on full replacement cost. Be ready with a bunch of boxster listings with similar equipment, condition, etc. You are entitled to a replacement that is equal or better than what you had. You were emotionally attached to your Boxster. do not accept their first offer, don't get short changed.

Become a VERY squeaky wheel. Tell them they are acting in bad faith.

Also don't forget you injured your lower back and may have whiplash. Even a low speed impact can cause you injury to your neck and back. It is virtually impossible for them to prove you were not injured.

Pain, suffering, emotional distress, loss of income from missing work, etc. It all adds up.

My son was read ended while he had his learners permit. It was less than a 5 mph impact and totaled the car. I went around in circles with the insurance company for a day or 2, but i the end I got above retail plus a bit for the car and then bought it back for salvage value, a few 100 bucks. Had the trunk pulled out and he drove the car for a year or so. It was an older Infiniti I-30. They first low-balled me for $2500 and by the time I was done the paid me over $4500

Then again, you are not in California lol
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 05-09-2014 at 07:30 AM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:41 PM   #26

Garage
Play this card - while your car is not drivable - their insurance company owes you transportation. Those dollars can add up quick. I would not lawyer up, or even tell the other insurance company you contacted a lawyer, but talk to one if you start to get any bad vibe about the other insurance company. Which insurance companies are involved?

On the replacement end - if you need to have a set of eyes look at anything for sale around Central to Eastern NC - PM me. I don't have PPI skills, but could at least get a preliminary look accomplished.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:56 PM   #27
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
If the insurance company totals it out, insist on full replacement cost. Be ready with a bunch of boaster listings with similar equipment, condition, etc. You are entitled to a replacement that is equal or better than what you had. You were emotionally attached to your Boxster. do not accept their first offer, don't get short changed.

Become a VERY squeaky wheel. Tell them they are acting in bad faith.

Also don't forget you injured your lower back and may have whiplash. Even a low speed impact can cause you injury to your neck and back. It is virtually impossible for them to prove you were not injured.

Pain, suffering, emotional distress, loss of income from missing work, etc. It all adds up.

My son was read ended while he had his learners permit. It was less than a 5 mph impact and totaled the car. I went around in circles with the insurance company for a day or 2, but i the end I got above retail plus a bit for the car and then bought it back for salvage value, a few 100 bucks. Had the trunk pulled out and he drove the car for a year or so. It was an older Infiniti I-30. They first low-balled me for $2500 and by the time I was done the paid me over $4500

Then again, you are not in California lol
So suggesting fake injuries is how they do it in CA? Impossible to prove he wasn't injured? Better call Saul!

I would advise against fake injuries or claims. Be firm, but be honest. Last I checked emotional attachment doesn't change the value of his car or repair costs.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:59 PM   #28
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFeller View Post
Play this card - while your car is not drivable - their insurance company owes you transportation. Those dollars can add up quick. I would not lawyer up, or even tell the other insurance company you contacted a lawyer, but talk to one if you start to get any bad vibe about the other insurance company. Which insurance companies are involved?

On the replacement end - if you need to have a set of eyes look at anything for sale around Central to Eastern NC - PM me. I don't have PPI skills, but could at least get a preliminary look accomplished.
Agreed, demand a loaner (I got a very nice upgrade for free because I was dropping off a Porsche) tomorrow. You need wheels.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:00 PM   #29

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFeller View Post

Both sides have nationwide. And thank you i will keep everyone updated and stay in touch with my fellow south eastern boxster owners. Depending on the price if the car is salvage i will likely buy it back for parts and all for myself and to share some love with members of the forum (for a small price.) That or as i stated before make a 2.5 spec racer out of it.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:01 PM   #30
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
So suggesting fake injuries is how they do it in CA? Impossible to prove he wasn't injured? Better call Saul!

I would advise against fake injuries or claims. Be firm, but be honest. Last I checked emotional attachment doesn't change the value of his car or repair costs.
not saying to fake injuries, but you may not even realise you are hurt with the adrenalin. It can sometimes take a few days to notice you were hurt

the more you can throw at them the better a settlement you will get

too bad you both have the same insurance company. You would get a better deal if they were different

+1 on the loner, but they wont keep paying once you settle
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 05-05-2014 at 07:03 PM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:02 PM   #31

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Agreed, demand a loaner (I got a very nice upgrade for free because I was dropping off a Porsche) tomorrow. You need wheels.
Regardless of getting a loaner or not, I am too young and my parents would drive the rental and id be in one of my parents cars regardless. Hopefully letting the In Co know that we couldve had them pay for a loaner all this time will help suggest they not be too stingy on the cars repairs, which i do belive it is good that both parties are insured by the same company so if we have issues on their in thats hurting their business with us as well.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:06 PM   #32

Garage
For anyone questioning the safty of the car, while it is terribly damaged, the car absorbed all the energy. The car reared up a bit in the front, a bit of shock of oh my did that just happen, then i look down to my right and see pavement trough my door :ah:. stopped the car shut it off got out and was amazed at how bad the damage was. The pain here is that most people dont have to go to school with the kid that hit their car the next day haha, especially when his lieing redneck family lied to the cop claiming they were jumping someone or something and belive the accident was in some way my fault. Tomorrow should be fun.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:11 PM   #33

Garage
Im late to this party but anytime the repair cost exceeds 50% of the value, they generally total it. With high replacement costs associated with these things, it doesn't take much.

Find a reputable body shop and get an estimate done. Then if the guy says he thinks the insurance company will total it ask him what he can do estimate wise if you buy the salvaged car back. Often they can bring the price down and you'd have a rough estimate of how much you'd be all in for. Additionally you could always buy a box and swap parts ( aka roof) and maybe sell raby the engine if he's looking for 2.5s. Lots of options, unfortunately no one wins in this situation. Sorry man...I feel for you.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:57 AM   #34

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
Regardless of getting a loaner or not, I am too young and my parents would drive the rental and id be in one of my parents cars regardless. Hopefully letting the In Co know that we couldve had them pay for a loaner all this time will help suggest they not be too stingy on the cars repairs, which i do belive it is good that both parties are insured by the same company so if we have issues on their in thats hurting their business with us as well.
You are not to young to get a loaner. My 19 year step son totaled a car a few months ago. The Insurance company provided a loaner and clearly stated that he would be covered while driving it.

It's not the best situation that both cars are from the same insurance company. This is when you hope that your insurance agent will be your advocate if you have problems. With separate insurance companies - if the other guys insurance company is lagging - you file the claim with yours - then your company goes after reimbursement for what they paid. Whatever happens - be honest and fair - and you'll sleep better at night.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:01 AM   #35

This is terrifying, feel bad for you Jake

But hang on a minute there... that looks like a 1.5meter long "intensive" scratch. Never came to mind that the bronco didn't like you pulling your roof down in front of him, and just decide to give this Porsche car a good go? It's a parking lot right? How on earth can you carry out so much damage in a parking lot? .... without noticing that you are ramming on the entire right side of a car

Am I the only one suspecting something completely wrong here?
Old 05-06-2014, 07:49 AM   #36

Aw, poor Jake! Sorry that happened to you!

I'd make sure to get the frame checked, you'd be surprised how easy it is to do frame damage. I managed to do that once on a Toyota, I ran over a "decorative" rock in a parking lot. A mechanic pointed it out to me years after the fact, but it sure didn't take much.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:04 PM   #37

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
This is terrifying, feel bad for you Jake

But hang on a minute there... that looks like a 1.5meter long "intensive" scratch. Never came to mind that the bronco didn't like you pulling your roof down in front of him, and just decide to give this Porsche car a good go? It's a parking lot right? How on earth can you carry out so much damage in a parking lot? .... without noticing that you are ramming on the entire right side of a car

Am I the only one suspecting something completely wrong here?
Ill be honest the kid has never liked me and I may have "taken a girl of his" but I'm not the one doing speculations rather that has been him wait until my next post.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2014, 12:10 PM   #38

Garage
So the real pain here is going back to school the next day with someone who claims that an accident was your fault and not the others like the police report claims, from what I have heard today I was speeding at like 60mphs, cutting trough the lot, had someone in the car, was on the phone, under the influence (wtf) and I perposly ran into him, he was already in the lane, according to most people my car was "hardly damaged, a bolt came out, may need a new door." While his precious bronco (not the collectible ones) had the front in tore to shreds. Well you can see by the pictures and the police report and the simple fact that my airbags didn't deploy to prove who is wrong and who is right about this but I am tired of hearing the ********************. Shall I add what his mother did when I went to shake her hand after the accident happened, she put her hands behind her back like a 2 year old and reluctantly decided to shake my hands.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:14 PM   #39

It seems everyone is missing the root issue here. You could have avoided the accident if you could have accelerated faster. You obviously need an S.....or maybe a 911.....possbily a turbo.....glad you are alright!!!!
runjmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:17 PM   #40

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by runjmc2 View Post
It seems everyone is missing the root issue here. You could have avoided the accident if you could have accelerated faster. You obviously need an S.....or maybe a 911.....possbily a turbo.....glad you are alright!!!!
Lol!