Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 03:12 PM   #21
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
I charge almost everything on an airline Visa card to rack up air miles. Always pay in full, paid no interest in years.

Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:31 AM   #22

Yup. All my credit cards have no annual fees, and I earn on avg 1-3% on every purchase cash back. Pay it in full every month.
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:45 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
That went towards car parts and a new roof.

I grew up poor. Dad was a Union iron worker, our family car was a 65 beetle then a 78 Pinto wagon. Some lean times.

That was the second most cash I have ever held, and I felt a pic was indeed necessary. I have come a long, long way to be able to withdraw that.

Posted it because cash talks. I always carry cash and it often lowers the cost significantly.
lol. I handed the PO of my Box 9000$ cash at his bank when I bought. I felt like a god.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:37 AM   #24

Citi bank master card. Just cashed in my earned reward for a hardtop mounting kit, 04 radiator cap and a new engine mount. The more I spend the more I can buy! Wait that's why perpetual motion doesn't work.
rocartfe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:54 AM   #25

My tech only takes cash and I supply the parts I know need swapping or he tells me to order and have shipped to him overnight.

I wrench a lot on my car myself now though. It's a pain to get my car over to him for work and it's expensive too.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:15 AM   #26

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RawleyD View Post
lol. I handed the PO of my Box 9000$ cash at his bank when I bought. I felt like a god.
I am intrigued/confused by this because there is simply no advantage to cash. It is insecure, it is actually dangerous to have large quantities around and authorities are able to scan for it so you can't even hide it. I'd rather have a cashiers check any day of the week. If anything, cash is a pain in the ass. Not to mention that large sums of cash indicate illegal or illicit activity.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:07 AM   #27
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered View Post
I am intrigued/confused by this because there is simply no advantage to cash. It is insecure, it is actually dangerous to have large quantities around and authorities are able to scan for it so you can't even hide it. I'd rather have a cashiers check any day of the week. If anything, cash is a pain in the ass. Not to mention that large sums of cash indicate illegal or illicit activity.
Or someone who works their ass off and gets paid well.......it took 5 min in my bank to get 9k. Not all cash = drug dealer or chop shop owner.

Who is going to scan my house and what tool will they use exactly ?
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:26 AM   #28

who is arock?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:40 AM   #29
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
who is arock?
Ha ha. From another website. He ripped off a few members on the sale of items and that is commonly used to prove you really just took that pic and it's not from the web.

Worlds collide!!
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:02 AM   #30

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
That went towards car parts and a new roof.

I grew up poor. Dad was a Union iron worker, our family car was a 65 beetle then a 78 Pinto wagon. Some lean times.

That was the second most cash I have ever held, and I felt a pic was indeed necessary. I have come a long, long way to be able to withdraw that.

Posted it because cash talks. I always carry cash and it often lowers the cost significantly.
When I was a kid our family Truckster was also a 78 Pinto wagon (with the faux wood grain siding). We used to sit in the back, right above the exploding fuel tank!

A few years ago I was buying a project car and my credit union told me there was a $1000 cash limit unless I made prior arrangements. I was on my way out of state to see the car when I stopped in for the cash. They had to make a "special exception" to give me $2k in cash. You're right, cash is a great negotiating point when dealing with private to private sales. A lot of times businesses don't want to risk not reporting income much more than some guy not wanting to report the income to his wife.