Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 07:16 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 38
Garage
Driver's window goes down after closing door???

My driver's side window has been acting up lately. Once in a while when I get out and close the door, the window rolls down about 1/3 of the way. Luckily I see it most of the time and roll it up but sometimes I have come back to my car to see the window partly down. I have not been able to recreate it and it seems random. It seemed to start happening after I installed a hardtop but that may have just been a coincidence. Please help Thanks.

Autobot152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:30 AM   #2
SoK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NKY
Posts: 211
http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-parts-sale-wanted/36737-how-hard-replace-window-regulator.html
__________________
2001 Seal Gray 5-Speed - 2007 Yamaha R6 - 2003 Honda Civic EX - 1999 Nissan Frontier XE - 2003 Coleman Utah
SoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:14 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 38
Garage
sok, not sure if i understand your cryptic response. you may have misread my post to ask, "how hard is it to replace a window regulator"? In that case, I appreciate the link, however I was actually asking for any thoughts on what would cause my window to roll down 1/3 of the way after I shut off the engine, take out the key, open the door, then close the door. within a couple of second of closing the door, the window rolls down and stops almost halfway down.

through my confusion of your post, I did however read your thread. it looks as though the symptoms of a bad regulator is a grinding sound while rolling up and down the windows or no movement of the window when the button is depressed. in my situation, my windows work perfectly fine with no abnormal sounds. they go fully up and fully down along with auto up and auto down. they also open slightly when you open the door and close fully when the door is completely shut. i should have stated this in my original post but i assumed that since I stated that i roll it back up when i notice it, that would have communicated that the window was working.
Autobot152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobot152 View Post
My driver's side window has been acting up lately. Once in a while when I get out and close the door, the window rolls down about 1/3 of the way. Luckily I see it most of the time and roll it up but sometimes I have come back to my car to see the window partly down. I have not been able to recreate it and it seems random. It seemed to start happening after I installed a hardtop but that may have just been a coincidence. Please help Thanks.
Does this happen with top up as well as top down? If only with the top up, the micro switch by the rear view mirror (where the top's latch goes) may be at fault and is signalling that you want to put the top down
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
Custom User Title Here
 
particlewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 6,022
Garage
Yeah, that seems like a "top down" behaviour. Probably something not right with your hard top install...a microswitch not being depressed.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 38
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb01box View Post
Does this happen with top up as well as top down? If only with the top up, the micro switch by the rear view mirror (where the top's latch goes) may be at fault and is signalling that you want to put the top down
i dont recall it ever happening prior to installing the hard top. the hard top has been on for the last couple of months so i have not had a chance to experience it with the soft top up.

Good point, tho! the window rolling down is similar to when you unlatch the front latch prior to retracting the soft top. I will look into the latch. The weird thing is that it is only happening with the driver's side window. When you unlatch the soft top, both windows open slightly.

Last edited by Autobot152; 09-18-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Autobot152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 38
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Yeah, that seems like a "top down" behaviour. Probably something not right with your hard top install...a microswitch not being depressed.
thanks for the suggestion. i will check the microswitch at the front latch. perhaps the front switch is slightly off and the vibration from the door slamming causes the microswitch to get activated. are there any other microswitches I should check? are there any in the rear?

also, i did not plug in the rear defogger but not sure if it is related somehow. i'll connect it and see if any change. thx.

Last edited by Autobot152; 09-18-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Autobot152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:59 AM   #8
Registered User
 
CoBeerToad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Peoria IL
Posts: 526
Garage
I woud imagine the switch is just one switch telling the windows to partially roll down when the top is unlatched. So if only one window is doing that, there may be a problem with the overhead switch, but there would also be a problem with the passenger window. If you are permanently leaving the hardtop on, then you may get by with just fixing the overhead switch.
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:33 AM   #9
SoK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NKY
Posts: 211
your symptoms are exactly what happened to my passenger door window a month ago. i thought i had listed out my symptoms in that thread, but i didn't go back to check. The grinding issues another user posted in that thread are also, eveidently, a symptom of this issue.

replacing the regulator fixed it for me.

Sounds like others are going with a faulty hardtop install, though. not sure I can offer any experience on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobot152 View Post
sok, not sure if i understand your cryptic response. you may have misread my post to ask, "how hard is it to replace a window regulator"? In that case, I appreciate the link, however I was actually asking for any thoughts on what would cause my window to roll down 1/3 of the way after I shut off the engine, take out the key, open the door, then close the door. within a couple of second of closing the door, the window rolls down and stops almost halfway down.

through my confusion of your post, I did however read your thread. it looks as though the symptoms of a bad regulator is a grinding sound while rolling up and down the windows or no movement of the window when the button is depressed. in my situation, my windows work perfectly fine with no abnormal sounds. they go fully up and fully down along with auto up and auto down. they also open slightly when you open the door and close fully when the door is completely shut. i should have stated this in my original post but i assumed that since I stated that i roll it back up when i notice it, that would have communicated that the window was working.
__________________
2001 Seal Gray 5-Speed - 2007 Yamaha R6 - 2003 Honda Civic EX - 1999 Nissan Frontier XE - 2003 Coleman Utah
SoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:48 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobot152 View Post
i dont recall it ever happening prior to installing the hard top. the hard top has been on for the last couple of months so i have not had a chance to experience it with the soft top up.

Good point, tho! the window rolling down is similar to when you unlatch the front latch prior to retracting the soft top. I will look into the latch. The weird thing is that it is only happening with the driver's side window. When you unlatch the soft top, both windows open slightly.
let me try to understand. the problem is with your driver's side window dropping 1/3 of the way down
and
when you unlatch the soft top, both windows open "slightly"
Slightly as when you open the door?
If this is true, my conclusion would be that the door/window control processor is out to lunch. would remove battery power for couple of minutes and then reconnect the battery. my $0.02
hope you find the bug
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:15 AM   #11
Registered User
 
shady1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: VA
Posts: 7
My drivers window has also had this issue after I replaced the regulator. I think it is a alignment problem. Since the window is supposed to raise and drop slightly when closing to clear the lip on the top. If it encounters any resistance, it lowers itself. My regulator just failed again, so I'm going to work on the adjustments better this time and see if it resolves it.

shady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page