Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 04:07 AM   #21

I have the S brakes. What's that saying... more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

Oh yea, buy tires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_IWa_qlt3g

Last edited by ekam; 07-10-2012 at 06:33 AM.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:39 AM   #22
FirstPorsche

Garage
..until I pull up next to you at the lights, naturally. [/QUOTE]

LAUGH!!

(since you're on the other side of the world from me, that ain't gonna happen any time soon!)
Old 07-10-2012, 08:24 AM   #23
Ex Esso kid

We might see each other Mr. first depending on your definition of "upstate". I'm going to be getting L5 sliced so I'll only be driving the spyder another week to ten days.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGaBiker View Post
While I own and love an S, the idea that the larger front calipers provide "greater braking power" or some such is fallacious. The base car has plenty of brake to invoke ABS to kick in, and after that you are at the mercy of your tires' cumulative traction. Make your brakes the size of trashcan lids and it won't help one bit.

The advantage is better heat dissipation, important for track work, but immaterial to this discussion about braking performance getting back down from 130 to 65 quickly.

And of course, the S does ship with wider and presumably grippier tires, so the actual stopping distance of a new S could be a little shorter than that of a new base.

You sir are most confused about the physics of energy transfer and the laws of thermodynamics...
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:38 PM   #25
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Well, my base '99 has enough brake to make the anti-lock kick in, so...yeah. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link, which in this case certainly is not the brakes, but rather the traction between tire and road. Bigger discs/pads would make absolutely no difference. On the track may be a different story, but I wouldn't know since I don't/won't track my car.

I don't get your statement. Don't even try to argue physics and thermodynamics with me, mister.
Just messing with ya! But seriously; wth are you going on about?

Last edited by particlewave; 07-10-2012 at 01:42 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach74 View Post
You sir are most confused about the physics of energy transfer and the laws of thermodynamics...
Are you sure about that...

The stopping distance between the base and S is only about 7 feet. The larger calipers provide better heat dissipation. Like he said, to really notice the difference in braking you will need to be at the track. There the difference will be significant.

The extra horse power on the other, that is significantly noticeable anywhere, anytime

The Boxster is great car (base or S)and I actually find myself enjoying it more than my 997. Which may explain why I have decided to supercharge the 997, I have to justify the extra cost of the 997 somehow and 500 hp may just do it
Old 07-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstporsche View Post
The other day, I had a great, empty straightaway. My 2002 base Boxster hit 104+ mph in 3rd gear without redlining.

With this fact in mind, why the heck would I need a "S?" I can rarely use the full performance of my 10-year old base Boxster.

Any thoughts?

This makes zero sense to me. My 2008 Honda cbr1000rr motorcycle does 90mph in first gear. My 2012 Honda accord can go 100 mph...... Not sure how long it takes and it's auto, so not sure what gear that is. Point being, what does the speed have anything to do with usability or driving performance on the street? The fastest you can legally drive here is 65mph. Nobody NEEDS more than that.

Most of us can't use the full performance of a base or an S. Unless we are professional race car drivers at a track.

To me..... the "S" is a whole different car. That's like comparing a 911 base to a 911s, 911 turbo, or 911gt3 and saying they are all the same because a base is fast enough. I've driven a base 986, 987 base, own a 986s, driven a 996 base, a 997s, and a 996 turbo. Trust me, they are all significantly different. I can also say that I can't drive any of them to the limit. But, why would that stop me from owning one?

I am an avid cyclist. Often, among cyclists, people feel guilty when they have "pro" gear and far from a pro. You buy stuff because it makes you smile. It's that simple. Hell, some people collect cars. They don't even drive them!
The dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:23 PM   #28

You don't need an "S", but I think it helps keep the "racing" crowd in check. I get a lot of minivan and Camry folk trying to hang, which is fine, because I like to hang in my family hauler too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstporsche View Post
The other day, I had a great, empty straightaway. My
2002 base Boxster hit 104+ mph in 3rd gear without redlining.

With this fact in mind, why the heck would I need a "S?" I can rarely use the full performance of my 10-year old base Boxster.

Any thoughts?

Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote