Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #1

Garage
speakers or HU, or both?

Recently it appears that the speakers in my '03S have died. A while back there was no sound at all from the radio, and now I get sound but it's got a lovely crackle to it. It is not affected by source or balance, and is present at all volume levels. So I presume the speakers are shot and maybe the HU, too?

Don't really want to replace/upgrade the stereo, as I've spent enough recently on other maint issues.

I love driving this car, but the semi-weekly issues are really getting annoying!

Old 07-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Crackling at all volumes is most likely the hu, though it wouldn't hurt to replace both. If you're on a budget, start with the hu. You can get a pretty decent Sony or Pioneer for right at $100. I'm 90% sure that a new one will fix your issue.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #3

Do a little research before changing out your radio. I have an '03 with the CDR23 HU and the Becker BE6600 amp. Something died a couple of months ago (I think it's the amp) but due to the MOST (fiber optic) bus and 2 ohm speakers, replacing the head unit is not as simple as it seems.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I can't speak for the stock speakers as I never had them, but my Infinity speakers sound great direct wired to the Sony 52w x 4 HU! No amp needed.

Only 2 ohm, eh? I am so not impressed with the stock stereo gear, from what I've read.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #5

Garage
I was fine with the sound quality, as I don't really expect (or need) greatness from the stereo in a convertible. It's more just the annoyance of having one more thing that needs fixing, and right before I'm set to take a trip in the car this weekend. Guess I'll pack my earbuds instead!
Old 07-09-2012, 07:53 PM   #6

Resistance

If you can take out the speakers and measure the Ohm resistance it should read between 2-6 ohms and the speakers are fine.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #7

Garage
Oddly enough, this morning everything sounded fine. With that, I presume we can rule out the speakers being the problem and point instead to either the HU or a loose connection somewhere.