Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 07:18 AM   #1
Certified Boxster Addict

Do you love, like, or hate your local Porsche dealer?

I hate my local dealer (Rusnak Porsche in Pasadena, CA). Everytime that I go there, I am strongly reminded that their business model is built on selling new cars and performing warranty repairs - and that they really don't want anything to do with my "old" car unless I'm interested in upgrading to a new model off the showroom floor.

What is your experience?

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:44 AM   #2

can't say that i hate any of the local dealers (there are 5 that i consider "local") but then i really don't do anything with them other than buy an odd part here or there that i need quicker than waiting for an online order to ship.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:59 AM   #3

I personally love my dealer. I go to Paul Miller Porsche and they do a great job. Their personel is always nice and they are straight forward with you. The only complain i have is that well it gets pricey. A major service is $1,700 everything included and with a nice loaner. If i were to get a check engin light I let them handle it because they warranty all there work and well I trust there ability to work on my car. If money wasn't an issue i would be glad to let them work on my car all the time.
Bmod986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:14 AM   #4

In my humble opinion my local dealer is a scum sucking thief. A few years ago I bought a used car that they had sold new and serviced since new. The lady kept every single receipt. For example, when she took her car in for service they charged her extra to "tighten the license plate bolts." They charged $25 labor to change her wiper blades which they sold to her at an inflated price. Given the amount she spent there, I believe these and a hundred like them, were abusive. When I took my box in for a repair they had their noses so far up in the air I'm surprised they knew I was there. I'm glad I found a great independent in Ed Pimm, Plain City, Ohio.

Last edited by schnellman; 12-18-2011 at 08:17 AM.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:15 AM   #5

Like.

I know some of the staff because we have our monthly PCA region meeting at the local Orlando dealership.

I do not get any of my work done there, too many other independents that are more convenient and often a better deal.

One thing that I find interesting is beyond them hosting our monthly meeting, they almost never sponsor any other regional events. A dealership over on the east coast of Florida, Porsche of Melbourne, is always hosting/sponsoring meets and have a presences at motorsports events all over florida including the orlando area.

I would be more likely to buy a car from Porsche of Melbourne over Porsche of Orlando because of it too.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:20 AM   #6
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I hate my local dealer (Rusnak Porsche in Pasadena, CA). Everytime that I go there, I am strongly reminded that their business model is built on selling new cars and performing warranty repairs - and that they really don't want anything to do with my "old" car unless I'm interested in upgrading to a new model off the showroom floor.

What is your experience?
I've been in Seattle for a year, I don't even know where the closest dealer is. In FortCollins, I used them to get parts only.

I worked at an Oldsmobile dealer in Denver for a little while as a service writer. As you describe, the entire goal of the service department was to move people into the showroom to buy a new car. Everyone who works at a dealership is a salesman.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:47 AM   #7

blue2000s, your closest dealer is probably Bellevue Porsche....I would go to Larson Porsche in Tacoma though, they are super nice and prices arent bad
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:08 AM   #8

I love my dealer. They give me bellyaches from laughing so hard at their estimates.
I only go there for a thorough diagnosis of anything that can be off--and their free buffett and internet terminals and pool tables, shoe shines, 60" inch plasma and complimentary car wash.
I then take that list to my independent.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:23 AM   #9

Garage
With the exception of mods and general maintenance, so far I've able to avoid dealerships and "indies" altogether . However, I'm very much aware of what some of my friends and colleagues have suffered at the hands of a dishonest shops. In fact, some have mentioned that they apply 50w100 in places we don't talk about just before receiving the bill .
Old 12-18-2011, 10:31 AM   #10

Garage
I was actually blown away by Jim Ellis (Atlanta) service manager's amazing attitude and very reasonable price for a trans swap, IMS upgrade and new clutch. The guy was totally willing to allow me to supply the gearbox and it made me feel good knowing that the car will be worked on by someone that know porsche inside and out.

Also the sales side was nothing but kind and patient with me when I was comparing the Cayman and the Carrera two years ago.

I would recommend Jim Ellis Porsche in Atlanta to anyone and I have always steered as far away from the stealerships as possible. I hate Land Rover dealers with a purple passion so my recommendation is really saying something coming from me.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:51 AM   #11

The dealership in Denver is Stephenson Imports - they've always been great to me. Never "found" anything extra to do and keep my scheduled maintenance to what I brought it in for.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:04 AM   #12

I have had good experience with both indy / dealership.

Last time I brought my car into the dealership with about 50 miles on the clock before warranty expired, they replaced my entire transmission for 'free' .. though a couple days after I got my car back, the car wont start .. turns out the alternator died out of warranty and they refused to admit fault saying the alternator is on the opposite side of the motor as the trans and that was not touched during the replacement. I have a sneaking suspicion it died because of how they kept the car during the month they had it but I don't know enough about how cars work to be sure. 3.5 stars out of 5 for them.

I'm also lucky that I live near a honest ( IMO ) indy .. he is a bit OCD .. lol.. but that's a good thing since it does translate to does very meticulous work. =D

He's great to deal with as long as you recognize the fact that he has to support a family / shop and have to pay bills too. Prices are still lower than dealership but not CHEAP by any means. However, last time I needed an 'emergency' inspection on Monday night before Laguna on Tuesday morning, he took my car at 4:30PM, gave it a thorough inspection, detailed the outside, and plugged a front tire by 7PM. I was on my way to Monterrey at 7:30. Try THAT at a dealership.
nefarious986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:35 PM   #13

I like my dealer b/c i have known the service rep for 10 years and he is pretty much the only non-ripoff guy in the dealer.

We know he is higher in price and he knows i only use him when absolutely necessary. But the guy has given me countless hints/know hows when i call him with a q or problem.
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:35 PM   #14
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I hate taking my Porsche to the dealership mostly because they charge ridiculous prices. Yeh, they give me a nice loaner (usually a Cayenne S), but the bill usually comes out to over a grand no matter what I'm in for. However, I love taking my Infiniti FX in to the dealership....$39 oil changes, and they give you new loaners too! Lol.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:38 PM   #15

I enjoy going to Jack Ingram Porsche in Montgomery, AL. However, the only thing I've ever had done there was activate my child seat harness. Cost me 0.5 hours at $99/hr shop rate. Well, that and buy a few items from their parts counter. Usually stuff I couldn't find on Pelican's website.

This particular dealer is attached to an Audi, Volvo, and VW dealer, and they only have one Porsche mechanic. But, he does seem to know his job well. The Porsche service writer (the previous one) is also the Audi, and Volvo service writer. And I believe his primary knowledge is in Volvo. He was only involved with and learning Porsches for the past few years. They just hired a Porsche specific service writer, who seems like a nice enough guy. I got to talk to him a bit but don't yet know his experience with Porsche.

They had an art exhibit a couple weeks ago, which they invited their customers to. Very nicely catered and had a nice band. Pretty cool event, amidst all the Porsches and Audis in the showroom. Even got to meet Mr. & Mrs. Jack Ingram. Nice folks.

If I had major work to do, or something I couldn't handle, I wouldn't hesitate to bring my '99 Box there.

Last edited by bar10dah; 12-18-2011 at 02:45 PM.
bar10dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 02:24 PM   #16
Track rat

Garage
Over the years I have developed relationships with Circle Porsche of Long Beach, Walters Riverside, and Pacific Porsche Torrance. All are good guys and support our PCA club events generously. A dealership is a business and is very interested in sales and service of new and recently used cars. That is their focus and what they do best. They will never be all things to all people.

I do buy parts from dealerships as needed but for service or repairs, I go to 911 Design in Montclair or Callas Rennsport in Torrance. Both shops are better equipped to handle the specialty needs of a car with motorsport leanings that is long out of warranty. Give em a try.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:27 PM   #17

I love Woodhouse. They're competitively priced, don't rip you off with stupid charges and treat you like someone special. When I had the Boxster in this summer for warranty work on the water pump, the SM told me when I picked her up that he fixed the window rattle. He did this on his own, I never said that was an issue. Earlier this yr they were hosting a spring get together and the SM asked if I wanted to watch while they did an IMS replacement (they're authorized to do the LN conversion). You always leave Woodhouse feeling good.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 02:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
I love Woodhouse. They're competitively priced, don't rip you off with stupid charges and treat you like someone special. When I had the Boxster in this summer for warranty work on the water pump, the SM told me when I picked her up that he fixed the window rattle. He did this on his own, I never said that was an issue. Earlier this yr they were hosting a spring get together and the SM asked if I wanted to watch while they did an IMS replacement (they're authorized to do the LN conversion). You always leave Woodhouse feeling good.
if that's the same place i'm thinking of (off of 80) then...

back over the summer i was on my way to denver and passing through nebraska. i had been having issues with my ignition switch (natch) but figured it would be fine to get me round-trip from MD to Denver. i stopped in lincoln to get some gas and i didn't think i would get the car started. i ended up calling the porsche dealer in omaha. i told him i was from out of town passing through. he offered to pick the car up, bring it back to the dealership, find me a hotel room and bump an appointment to fit me in. sadly they didn't have the housing in stock so it would have been monday before they could get to it (i called on friday). i remember thinking after the call that i felt like i was treated like a long-time customer even though he knew he'd never see my car again.

we even joked about the fact that all the dealer could do is replace it with the actual housing, and he mentioned that i could buy the audi part online much cheaper than the porsche part and do it myself. i told him i already knew that and we both laughed.

most other shops would have simply said "bring it in and we'll see when we can get to it."
Old 12-18-2011, 03:01 PM   #19

I love my dealer, the Collection in Coral Gables FL. The Porsche parts guy is my buddy and gives me parts at wholesale.

I would never, ever take it to them for service. They charge 145/hr. Its an exotic car boutique megalith, Ferrari, Maserati, Mc Laren, Aston Martin, Jaguar. Their prices are not for the faint of heart.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:49 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepointnine View Post
blue2000s, your closest dealer is probably Bellevue Porsche....I would go to Larson Porsche in Tacoma though, they are super nice and prices arent bad
Yup, Barrier Porsche in Belleuve. I live halfway between Barrier and Larson and as a new Porsche onwer last year, had not, and still haven't found a local indy. I chose Larson because I believed Barrier catered to the wealthy, which I am far from. Can't say much for sales, but the service dept. staff was friendly and treaty me fairly. Yes, they are expensive, but I wouldn't hesitate to go back to them for work beyond my skill level (which is most everything). Plus they just moved into a few showroom closer to home.