Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2008, 02:51 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: socal
Posts: 24
Angry broken in to

are boxsters targeted as an easy car to brake into? mine was broken into last night,all they got was my garmin.car was in driveway 10 feet from bedroom window.
550spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:17 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.
 
rick3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: West Coast
Posts: 3,120
Garage
That sucks!
I am not sure if they are, "targeted," It is harder to break-in through the softtop than you would think, and since most criminals don't think, they might get broken into more. At least they didn't steal the car, it was probably some punk on your street.

Could you give us more details?
__________________
1999 Ocean Blue Metallic Boxster - blueboxster.com
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 04:13 PM   #3
Registered User
 
JAAY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: shoreham, ny
Posts: 1,619
hes right at least you still have it. The motion sensor didnt go off?
__________________
996 3.4 engine with 2.7 986 5speed transmission
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 04:45 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: quebec canada
Posts: 39
Send a message via MSN to pinzgo
Hi Guys, Just to make up to date on my project. I own a Boxster S 2000 with 32000 miles on it. Last year I added Supercharger, catback, headers, ecu reflash by IA, Bigger injectors, air intake, lowered suspension, Put aerokit and full carbon trunk lid after spoiler and brake light, hard top, porsche seats with carbon shell, Kinesis wheels, Short shifter, carbon console,
This winter I am addind intercooler in trunk with fan onto lid, nitro sprayed on intercooler and progressive water methanol injection just prior to trottle body to refresh engine some more to higher psi. So,With these upgrades I will put smaller pulley on supercharger to get almost 7 psi at trottle body.

I hope I will dyno it around 375 whp. I do street and quarter mile drag with it in a team with my sons. They have a S2000 and a STI. Huge feeling.
Add comments or recommendations please.

I would like to send you pictures, but I need somebody of you to tell me how to insert in posts. I am not a pro with computer use.

I appreciate you guys with all infos contained in forums
Jacques

One more thing, for those that are afraid to remove soft top, only 3 grouped bolts on each side and lift up. 10 minutes. Just have to pop off the two short red wires
Have a good time
pinzgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:52 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinzgo
Hi Guys, Just to make up to date on my project. I own a Boxster S 2000 with 32000 miles on it. Last year I added Supercharger, catback, headers, ecu reflash by IA, Bigger injectors, air intake, lowered suspension, Put aerokit and full carbon trunk lid after spoiler and brake light, hard top, porsche seats with carbon shell, Kinesis wheels, Short shifter, carbon console,
This winter I am addind intercooler in trunk with fan onto lid, nitro sprayed on intercooler and progressive water methanol injection just prior to trottle body to refresh engine some more to higher psi. So,With these upgrades I will put smaller pulley on supercharger to get almost 7 psi at trottle body.

I hope I will dyno it around 375 whp. I do street and quarter mile drag with it in a team with my sons. They have a S2000 and a STI. Huge feeling.
Add comments or recommendations please.

I would like to send you pictures, but I need somebody of you to tell me how to insert in posts. I am not a pro with computer use.

I appreciate you guys with all infos contained in forums
Jacques

One more thing, for those that are afraid to remove soft top, only 3 grouped bolts on each side and lift up. 10 minutes. Just have to pop off the two short red wires
Have a good time

Fantastic post there my friend.. but not even close to the thread... unless your car was stolen
__________________
1976 914 2.0
2000 Boxster 2.7 (sold)
1978 911 SC (sold)
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 06:02 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 7,236
How'd the thugs get into your car? Break a window? Slash the top? Jimmy open the door?

After my radar detector was stolen as a teenager, I never leave anything of value in plain sight in my car, even when it's in my garage locked up. It's harder to steal someone one can't see unless one is assumes there's goodies in the trunk of a fine automobile.
__________________
'97 Boxster (Black Hole for 42,000 Dead Presidents and counting) - 122k
New motor, transmission, suspension, and on and on and on it goes...
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 07:01 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 617
Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
yeah, I never leave anything I would really miss if it got stolen in my car, but that is something you learn living in New Orleans. They will steal anything, even if it's not valuable. I once had a Jaguar broken into. They smashed the passenger window, threw my registration and other glove box contents all over the street, and took my house keys. And to think I thought I had nothing to steal in there. I was living with my parents at the time and they had to change all the locks on the house though.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:29 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 307
This is why I'm a preacher of "Park your car in your garage!". I'm not sure if you have a garage or not, but I see nice cars in my neighbor hood parked outside with 2 or 3 slots empty in their garage, or crap in there garage. If your a renter, next time you rent a place get a garage, the peace of mind alone is well worth the small amount of extra money. Most people with homes have garages, if you have one USE IT!
__________________
Lamborghini Murcielago (current)
Supercharged Viper SRT-10 800 HP Special Edition #49 of #50 (current)
Ferrari 360 Spider
Lamborghini Diablo VT Roadster
911 Cab
Boxster S (current)
08 Hummer H2 (current)
BMW Z3 (current)

Limos in Ohio and PA - First Class Limo Columbus Limos

http://pteam.net/avatar3.jpg
my car collection *Porschephiles agree, Desnorkify your Porsche!*
pteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:32 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 617
Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
I wish I had a garage.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 11:18 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 3,417
Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Every car that sits outside my house has been vandalized or broken into......thankfully the 986 S & 996 are in my garage.
__________________
-99' Zenith Blue 5-spd...didn't agree with a center divider on the freeway
-01' S Orient Red Metallic 6-spd...money pit...sold to buy a house
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 12:07 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 291
As Rick3000 eluded to, maybe thieves see a soft top as "soft target." I have seen glass on the street from busted side windows time to time. During the cold months coming out on my street in the AM you can see someone has walked down the street wiping the dew/frost off windows looking in. My old work car, a Sebring (now a Mustang GT) got broken into right in front of my building, taking an umbrella off the backseat. I truly believe that no matter the car, if there is something inside that somebody can sell, they will take it. Just put your stuff out of site and you probably have nothing to worry about.
shaman1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 12:47 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: los angeles
Posts: 256
boxster isn't the target. the navi is.
why people leave those out is crazy. i've seen that thieves look for just the circles that suction cups leave on the windshield.
__________________
that guy "boxsterz" thinks you're a poser. i disagree.
humara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:20 AM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,600
Quote:

"As Rick3000 eluded to, maybe thieves see a soft top as "soft target." I have seen glass on the street from busted side windows time to time. During the cold months coming out on my street in the AM you can see someone has walked down the street wiping the dew/frost off windows looking in. My old work car, a Sebring (now a Mustang GT) got broken into right in front of my building, taking an umbrella off the backseat. I truly believe that no matter the car, if there is something inside that somebody can sell, they will take it. Just put your stuff out of site and you probably have nothing to worry about."

Posted by shaman1204.

Did he "elude" or, perhaps, "allude"?

Should I put my stuff out of "site" or, I'm thinking, out of "sight."

Just gently tuggin' your chain, my friend. But sometimes I'm afraid my spelling skills, carefully honed though all those years of carefully looking up words I didn't know in my now-falling apart Merriam Webster dictionary (a gift from my parents roughly 35 years ago, waaaaay before the automatic "spell-check" days (which, BTW, shouldn't be relied up upon too heavily---"elude" IS the correct spelling of a word that doesn't really fit in the context of the above-cited post)) are headed quickly to hell in a hand basket, the result of spending too much time poring over hundreds of posts on this, and other, forums.

Guess while I'm at it, I need to work on my tendency to the occasional run-on sentence, eh?
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 07:11 AM   #14
Registered User
 
Couper1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dutchess County NY
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBunny
I wish I had a garage.
You know, you can alway rent a 10x20 storage unit for your car.
Couper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 07:41 AM   #15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 644
Sorry to hear 550spyder. I have to agree with the other folks out there who suggested that you remove as much goodies from plain sight as possible. Although if they have already set their mind (or should it be a lack thereof) on getting into your car, they will...difficult to stop these little "sh%ts" (although I have many other words I'd like to use). Unfortunately, I have had many things stolen.... inlcuding my actual soft top (right off my Isuzu Amigo- that was on my driveway many, many, many years back when I was in college). What a feeling!!

Also, as Couper1 mentioned, looking into renting a garage / space wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Last edited by dcporsche99; 01-14-2008 at 07:14 AM.
dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:41 PM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: south San Jose, CA
Posts: 139
Sorry to hear 550. Getting one's car broken into is probably one of the worst feelings ever... and the folks that do such things are just plain idiots. One night I was visiting a friend in SFO, and my acura was parked on the street. The only visible thing of value was a dvd, yes, 1 dvd on the passenger's seat. That was it. The bum broke the window, took the dvd, my eyeglasses (stored in a compartment) and other stupid ****************... but what a hassle it was!

Sometimes a garage is not an option, but I agree with everyone else -- don't leave anything in plain sight... those who think they have nothing will take anything.
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:22 PM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 617
Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
Yep, people will steal anything even if there is nothing worth stealing. I recently left my Lexus parked outside of my parents' house and forgot to lock it. I went out the next day and someone had gone into the glove box, dumped everything on the front seat, and taken nothing! I didn't have much in there, but I did have a few items of clothing that were worth something, a dog cage, and a whole unopened pack of Charmin. You'd think they'd at least take the toilet paper. I mean, everybody uses that! Even though they broke no windows and took nothing I still felt creeped out that someone was in my car.

My ex had a POS Honda and when it broke down and he had to leave it somewhere he thinks a crackhead was actually living in it. They stole a few CDs and basically busted up the whole car. Looked like they were trying to steal it but didn't know how because they tore up the whole steering column.

Good idea about renting a storage space, but where do you put it? I park my car in my driveway and it's right outside my bedroom window. Hopefully I'd hear anything that happens to it, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:53 AM   #18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBunny
Yep, people will steal anything even if there is nothing worth stealing. I recently left my Lexus parked outside of my parents' house and forgot to lock it. I went out the next day and someone had gone into the glove box, dumped everything on the front seat, and taken nothing! I didn't have much in there, but I did have a few items of clothing that were worth something, a dog cage, and a whole unopened pack of Charmin. You'd think they'd at least take the toilet paper. I mean, everybody uses that! Even though they broke no windows and took nothing I still felt creeped out that someone was in my car.
You keep toilet paper in your car?
__________________
Happy Motoring!... Timí05

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:40 AM   #19
Registered User
 
Brucelee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 8,083
To answer your question, it is very easy for these thugs to get into your car.

I had a nice Lexus coupe broken into and the stereo ripped out, along with half the dash. These turds have a tool where they hook into the top of the side window and simply collapse the window down into the door.

Takes them seconds. So, if your alarm goes off, they are gone by the time you get out to your driveway. This to steal a stereo that had a street value of maybe $30 bucks?

Sad but true. The police found the guy (since he was dumb enough to try and cash some checks he found in my glove box) and he pleaded out on about ten counts they had him on.

BTW-The local cops were afraid to arrest this turd. Seems he was an illegal and they were afraid of his gang. They sent the county gang unit to pick him up.

God Bless America.

He is likely reading this right now from somewhere in LA.

PS- If you want to read some interesting comments on crime in the US, pick up the book, Freakonomics.

Fascinating stuff.

__________________
Rich Belloff

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:11 AM   #20
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: San Jose
Posts: 1,889
100 years ago when I was in college one fo the guys had his car broken into in the school parking lot. He was into country western music and had a bunch of country western cassettes in his car. The thief did not steal anything. Just threw the tapes all over the car.

I migh keep toilet paper and country western DVDs in my Boxster as a deterrent.

Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page