Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2008, 09:56 AM   #21
FTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
100 years ago when I was in college one fo the guys had his car broken into in the school parking lot. He was into country western music and had a bunch of country western cassettes in his car. The thief did not steal anything. Just threw the tapes all over the car.

I might keep toilet paper and country western DVDs in my Boxster as a deterrent.
Hahahaha. Very good!

FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:21 AM   #22

When I first moved up here from college, I went to an all night party down in Southern Illinois. I had a red Chevy pickup at the time, and during the night someone broke into my truck by prying off the rear window ( like a tupperwear lid ) and stole my sunglasses, a carton of smokes, and homemade chocolate cookies my girlfriend made. I wasn't mad about the smokes or the glasses, but man was I ticked someone stole my cookies ! At least the thief was nice enough to place the rear window in the bed of the truck, and the shop just had to pop it back in...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:58 PM   #23

I was going to have Frodo check my grammar before I posted this but I don't think he's online

Back in high school I had a nice Alpine amp mounted under the rear seat and a custom sub enclosure bolted to the tailgate of my Jeep Wrangler. When I had them installed I made sure they used four different screw heads to bolt the amp down and at least two different sized bolt heads to secure the back seat to the floorboard. I figured if a thief wanted it they would have to bring a toolbox. An they did. I came out one morning to find my entire back seat sitting neatly on the driveway next to the Jeep, all screws and bolts intact and wiring neatly undone. I didn't leave the faceplate for the headunit in the car, so they took a screw driver and destroyed the thing. While the cop was taking the report I asked him what could be done about it. He suggested I get a new stereo, a case of beer, a few friends and wait for the bastards to come back.
shaman1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:20 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaman1204
I didn't leave the faceplate for the headunit in the car, so they took a screw driver and destroyed the thing.
That's just plain mean.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:03 PM   #25

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Kill
You keep toilet paper in your car?

Well, I don't normally keep toilet paper in my car, but I happened to have just bought some. Maybe it is a theft deterrent and I should always keep it there.

Is Freakonomics the one written by the guy who studied the business of the crack trade, or am I confusing that with something else?
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:14 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBunny
Well, I don't normally keep toilet paper in my car, but I happened to have just bought some. Maybe it is a theft deterrent and I should always keep it there.

Is Freakonomics the one written by the guy who studied the business of the crack trade, or am I confusing that with something else?

Yes, that is the same author.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:34 PM   #27
Track rat

Garage
Sorry man. Car thieves suck. Nearly every car I have owned and left parked out has been broken into or damaged in some way. In college I had a van. Inside there were 4 cheapo bookshelf speakers, Alpine stereo, and a $2000 set of motorcycle tools. Thieves broke in, took the speakers and left the rest. No rocket science in their future I guess.

As of about 12 years ago... Garage space first, then nice car.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:39 AM   #28

The next story. I made it out of college and graduate school. Worked in my profession for a few years.

Then in 1989 I bought a 1988 Toyota pick up truck. Where the radio would go was a hole. The radio had been removed before I bought the truck. I used a battery powered boom box on the passenger floor that you could not see from the outside, until I had the time to buy a radio for the dash.

I worked very late one night with the truck parked in the office parking lot. Total darkness. I got in the truck to go home and noticed broken glass on the drivers seat. Took me a while to figure out the broken glass was because the vent had been broken.

The truck radio was not missing, because it did not have one. I think it was broken into for the radio I did not have. But the boom box was missing. Worth maybe a few dollars, or a roll of Charmin. I would have given that boom box away for the asking.

Should have learned a lesson.

Put a country western tape in the boom box next time.

Thank god I have a Boxster now. No one in their right mind would break into it to steal a Becker radio....
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:15 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
Thank god I have a Boxster now. No one in their right mind would break into it to steal a Becker radio....
Holy crap is that funny !

In college, my roommate had a pimped out Toyota Celica with thousands of dollars worth of audio equipment. All the windows were limousine tint, including the front ( how in the world he could drive that thing at night I'll never know ). One afternoon I helped him rip out all of the equipment ( he said he wanted to redo it ) and remove the seats and bring them up to the dorm. That night, someone broke into his car. I would have loved to see the look on the thief’s face when he busted the window, got in the car and realized it had already been stripped...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote