Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2020, 08:58 AM   #81
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
The buyer of THAT texted me a couple days ago to say the it had a check engine light with code P1124 and P1126 and just wanted advice on where to look to fix them. I thought that I had fixed those codes already by tightening up a clamp on the intake and replacing a cracked hose on the AOS. I advised him to try cleaning or replacing the MAF sensor and look to see if there were any obvious leaks around the intake. I really hoped that it wasn't the AOS. He lives about three hours away from me and I didn't think there was any way I'd get out there to take a look at it myself.

Today I drove to Springfield MO to pick up a nice freshly rebuilt Porsche 914 engine I found on Craigslist. I realized that the guy who bought THAT was only about 45 minutes out of my way on the three hour drive back home. Before I left home I grabbed a known good MAF and my manometer to check the AOS. Timing worked out well and as I left Springfield, I let him know that I was going to stop by. I didn't do it because I felt bad or because the buyer asked me to. I did it because I thought I had fixed the problem and it really bothered me that it came back. ...it was personal between me and the car. I think its good now after replacing the MAF.

This is why I would never buy from someone that didn’t care about the car they are selling. Your buyer is quite fortunate he got THAT. Good karma coming your way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 05:38 PM   #82
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Thanks for the comments. My '99s are gone, but there are still plenty of 986s. THIS and THAT were officially reassigned to the '97 and 2000. I wanted to get all three out together for some good pictures, but time does not allow.
Here they are in the driveway today.

Old 10-19-2020, 03:54 AM   #83

What happened to the race car?
Old 10-20-2020, 02:01 PM   #84
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
What happened to the race car?
I'm getting back to work on it. This year there was too much else going on and I couldn't put time into it. Right now my biggest distraction is the 914s, but they are out of the garage now except for a couple engines and I'm be moving the 'race car' back in.

I'll post more of the plan later, but I need to pull the V8 from the 2000 S (where it was never fully swapped) and mate it with the Tiptronic. I have a 'ready to weld' Rollcage from that car in Houston. I'm going to keep the rolling chassis of the Houston car as a backup in case the Tiptronic doesn't work out.

I'm NOT buying any more project cars for a while. Boxsters, 914s, The Dung Beetle, and the '81 Scirocco (currently in long term storage mode), should be enough to keep me busy for the next five years.

I think I want a tube bender, considering an "Affordable Bender": https://www.affordablebender.com/collections/affordable-benders-tube-notchers/products/affordable-bender-134-die-on-7-radius ...just to play with. Anyone have one?