Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2021, 09:31 AM   #1

Exclamation Sway Bar Upgrade

Hi folks,

I'm looking to upgrade from my stock S sway bars to something else. The end goal is to have a solid street car with occasional track day (maybe once or twice a year.) I do not drive the vehicle much, typically less than 5000KM / 3100 miles a year. I'd like to reduce the body roll on sweeping highway/freeway entries/exits.

I've read a number of old threads on the forum but looking to get some suggestions on what is next. The general consensus is the H&R sway bars are too heavy and stiff (whatever that means ) and the M030 sway bar is not much of an improvement from the S factory bar.

Which begs the question - would the next jump up be the Euro 996 GT3 front sway bars or Tarret bars? If yes, does anyone have any experience with them? And are aftermarket endlinks required? Or move up to an M030 front sway? Open to rear sway bar suggestions as well. Thanks in advance!

Regards,

bcrdukes

Old 06-08-2021, 09:48 AM   #2

Garage
Here is a chart of the OEM bar stiffnesses for your use. Going from an S to M030 may not be enough of an upgrade for you - from a base it makes a bigger difference. But at least you have the information to make a decision.

2001 Boxster 986 (base) #414
-PCA GGR: Class Champion AX12 '18, '19, '20; CC06 '21; CC05 '22; PAX 5th '19, 3rd '20, '21, & '22
-PCA Zone 7: Class Champion P14 '18, '19; P02 '20; P-03 '22; PAX Champion '20 & '21
BrantyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 11:35 AM   #3

Thanks for that, BrantyB!

Looks like the Rear sway bar won't make TOO too much of a difference (it does, but for my application probably not necessary) so a front bar will do for now.

Anybody running the Elephant Racing end links? They seem to have a rubber boot pre-installed already as opposed the Tarret ones.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:20 PM   #4
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
I would do whatever spring/damper/geo changes you were planning on first then evaluate from there. For a predominantly road based car I don't think the Arbs or sway bars are the big game changer.
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 12:42 PM   #5

I'm running H&R sport springs with the Koni Special Active shocks and have been for well over a year. I was running a pretty aggressive track-focused alignment but changed it back to near-factory specs because COVID cancelled all PCA DEs here.
Old 06-08-2021, 02:51 PM   #6

Hey dukes, for ****************s and giggles, try replacing the bushings poly bushings (I used energy suspension).

I have a 2.7 base and new bushings made a big difference. Between that and my adjustable coilovers dialed in it drives completely different from the car I originally bought.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2021, 03:19 PM   #7

Garage
I have Tarret front and rear anti sway bars and I like them. I also have H&R springs and Bilstein B6 struts
Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 03:52 PM   #8
Racer Boy

If you are looking for a stiffer front sway bar, I have a S-model Sport Group M030 bar (24 mm) with the stock bushings that I'll sell. The part number is 986-343-701-21, and according to Pelican, the new Porsche price is $461.25. I'll let it go for $100 plus shipping from Seattle.

PM if you are interested.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 05:42 PM   #9

I just read though the chart branty posted. Thanks for posting!

Question for the group (I'm sure this will sound dumb). If the gt3 bar is 2x as stiff - I would imagine this is gonna add a ton of understeer. One if the best things I feel like I've done for improving handling was going to 225s up front to reduce understeer.

So, for those of you who have run it, what's the general impression? Obviously it will change stability but is it a positive change? Good at all speeds or only good at autox speeds with high speed understeer being an issue? Only valuable if also switching to square tire setup?

Old 06-08-2021, 06:42 PM   #10

haha ike84 - I'm not sure I want to go to polyurethane bushings (or do I????) I had them on my old Toyota AW11 supercharged MR2 and it was awful but that was a very different car in comparison to a Boxster. I've gone to several shops in town and all of them insist I don't need to change mine. Not sure if they are jerking me around or not.

I'm running 225 tires up front but its how I bought the car so I'm afraid I am of no help. Sorry! By the way, which coilovers are you running?

@Racer Boy - Thanks for the kind offer but I think the difference coming from a 3.2L S sway bar to the "S" M030 would be marginal. Hopefully someone else will pick it up from you.
Old 06-08-2021, 06:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
haha ike84 - I'm not sure I want to go to polyurethane bushings (or do I????) I had them on my old Toyota AW11 supercharged MR2 and it was awful but that was a very different car in comparison to a Boxster. I've gone to several shops in town and all of them insist I don't need to change mine. Not sure if they are jerking me around or not.

I'm running 225 tires up front but its how I bought the car so I'm afraid I am of no help. Sorry! By the way, which coilovers are you running?

@Racer Boy - Thanks for the kind offer but I think the difference coming from a 3.2L S sway bar to the "S" M030 would be marginal. Hopefully someone else will pick it up from you.
My car came on stock Conti 205 fronts and lemme tell ya, factory understeer is a very real thing. I get why they did it (oversteer more dangerous in inexperienced hands) but damn.

I installed my coilovers (godspeed) last fall and spent a few months dialing them in before I tore her apart this winter. Really quite harsh at higher settings, but I found a nice balance of comfort and performance around 30/50%. This is my only experience in the world of aftermarket racing suspensions but I really like them.

I bought the energy bushings on a whim after reading a post on another forum about how they are high quality, universal fit, and I had decided a while ago that everything rubber on my suspension needed to go. I finally got around to installing the bushings (front and rear) and I really do feel like they made a difference. No but dyno stuff, just felt more firm going into hard corners. I made the mistake of not greasing them before install so it squeaked like a ******************** going over speed bumps lol. Once I got that rectified though I have no complaints.

Old 06-09-2021, 03:59 AM   #12

Garage
I have 235 fronts on my 2000 S
Old 06-09-2021, 04:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van914 View Post
I have 235 fronts on my 2000 S
What size wheel do you have? If you have the 18x7.5 that's totally normal.

I saw a video of someone stuff a 245 on a 7" rim. The sidewall flex was scary.

Old 06-09-2021, 05:48 AM   #14

@ Van914 - Is your car a daily driver by chance? Which endlinks are you using?
Old 06-09-2021, 01:21 PM   #15

Garage
Ike
18x7 1/2

Bcrdukes,
Tarret links
Old 06-09-2021, 02:50 PM   #16

Eibach makes a front and rear kit (rear is adjustable) for significantly less than the Tarret pieces. I went with those and the Tarret drop links. I found on the "stiff" setting the car was twitchy and too easy to spin and almost impossible to catch on time. On the soft setting with 255 square the setup felt solid on track.
1thenaton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 05:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1thenaton1 View Post
Eibach makes a front and rear kit (rear is adjustable) for significantly less than the Tarret pieces. I went with those and the Tarret drop links. I found on the "stiff" setting the car was twitchy and too easy to spin and almost impossible to catch on time. On the soft setting with 255 square the setup felt solid on track.
What wheels are you running on your square setup?

Do you think this setup (255s all around, eibach sway bars) makes a noticeable difference in handling over stock? Are the 255s big enough in the rear?

The tarrett drop links - are they necessary to install the gt3 style sway bars? Do they have an advatage over the stock ones?

I'm a twitchy finger away from buying new wheels and tires to put 275s or 285s all around in the quest for the ultimate "turns on rails" setup but was hoping to talk to someone who has done this already to get their feedback!

Thanks!

Old 06-09-2021, 05:54 PM   #18

I'm running the factory 17" wheels on my Boxster S - 225/45/17 (front) and 255/40/17 (rear.) I'm quite happy with the setup.

You'll need aftermarket adjustable drop links for the GT3 style sway bars. The stock ones won't work because they wont' reach the mounting holes and may potentially snap under excessive load and accelerated wear/tear.

I'm afraid I don't know anyone (personally) who runs a 275 or 285 size tire in the rear but hopefully someone on the forum can chime in.
Old 06-09-2021, 07:03 PM   #19

Garage
Quote:
I'm afraid I don't know anyone (personally) who runs a 275 or 285 size tire in the rear but hopefully someone on the forum can chime in.
That would be me!

Nankang AR-1 235/40/18 front & 275/35/18 rear; with 24.0mm M030 front bar and 19.6mm M030 rear. And I love it for autocross. But I do prefer a bit of understeer, the bigger rear bar helps balance out the front to my liking.

Rear wheels are 9" O.Z. with 43mm offset. Fitment is fine and without issue, but I tried it with 5mm spacers and it rubbed, so there's not a ton of room.
2001 Boxster 986 (base) #414
-PCA GGR: Class Champion AX12 '18, '19, '20; CC06 '21; CC05 '22; PAX 5th '19, 3rd '20, '21, & '22
-PCA Zone 7: Class Champion P14 '18, '19; P02 '20; P-03 '22; PAX Champion '20 & '21

Last edited by BrantyB; 06-09-2021 at 07:05 PM.
BrantyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 03:38 AM   #20

Garage
Quote:
I'm running H&R sport springs with the Koni Special Active shocks and have been for well over a year. I was running a pretty aggressive track-focused alignment but changed it back to near-factory specs because COVID cancelled all PCA DEs here.
Did you experience less body roll with the track focused alignment?
I got pretty much the same suspension set up that you have and I was looking to add an H&R rear sway bar, but after I had a track focused alignment done, after installing the suspension, most of the body roll, if not all is gone now.
ike84 is right, the factory staggered set up of 205 front & 255 rear on these cars suck, I was experiencing a lot of understeer before I changed to 225`s at the front also. I mentioned that before on a thread on here and I am surprised that none of the track gurus pointed to the width of the front tires as the cause of the understeer.

986 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote