Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2009, 08:47 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Is this bad?

Lately every night I've been taking the Boxster out just to drive it really hard. Like every U Turn I'm kicking the back end out so the car is basically sideways. I've seen 120 every single trip in it on the freeway. First time I've damn near red lined it last night. Just for fun.

The car isn't acting up or anything. Should the only thing that can come from this wearing of the tires or is there much worse that I can be wearing down by driving it so hard?

Oh man,hearing my little brother yell 'holy ****************' in the middle of a u-turn then seeing his face get pale was totally worth it.

Last edited by blinkwatt; 09-08-2009 at 11:40 AM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:04 AM   #2
Track rat

Garage
Probably not the best idea you ever had Blink. Sounds like you are overdue for some track days.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:09 AM   #3
Engine Surgeon

Sounds like you need more power... Until you scare yourself you won't be happy.
(I'll bet he never has an IMS failure!)
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless
Probably not the best idea you ever had Blink. Sounds like you are overdue for some track days.
Tell me about it man. Thankfully the big wide streets of Elk Grove are empty at night and the freeway to get there from my house is 8 miles in a straight line! It's a good spot to stretch your cars legs.

Just got really really pissed about a 6 hour long spark plug change...damn coil pak came loose after I changed the plugs,I started up the car...it rumbled...15 seconds later a flashing CEL(P0301- Misfire Cylinder 1 damage to cat.) ...then to top it off once I got it all squared away the car had a pingy sound that I spent another hour trying to figure out what it was. I think it was just extra gas being burnt off in the combustion chamber of cylinder 1 cause it slowly went away. At least anything related to the spark plug,coil pak and stuff looks really clean now.

Last edited by blinkwatt; 09-08-2009 at 09:27 AM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby
Sounds like you need more power... Until you scare yourself you won't be happy.
(I'll bet he never has an IMS failure!)
I wouldn't mind it,but my college budget does.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:25 AM   #6

Blinkwatt,
You are an idiot. You give all Porsche drivers a bad name. Forget the fact you don't have the skills of Michael Schumacher in the event of an emergency, you don't have the right to put the lives of others in danger. Grow up, or stay home.
Boxster101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:42 AM   #7

Thank you for that informative post.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:33 AM   #8

Well, you did crash your first Boxster.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S
Well, you did crash your first Boxster.
Oh man,the only regret I had about that car was not driving it hard enough and not crashing it doing something fun. I was driving like a grandma switching freeways in rain. LAME.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:07 PM   #10

not at all, as long as no one is in danger. What's the point of having a sports car and driving it around like a 80yr old. I can't count the number of Z06's (just an example) and other exotic cars that I've glanced over to see some 70 to 80 year old driving. knowing the car has never seen 100 mph. What a waste.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster101
Blinkwatt,
You are an idiot. You give all Porsche drivers a bad name. Forget the fact you don't have the skills of Michael Schumacher in the event of an emergency, you don't have the right to put the lives of others in danger. Grow up, or stay home.
Boxster101, personally I think he doesnt give Porsche drivers a bad name, we ALL do it and those that say they dont/never have are ignorant... as they say: Ignorance is Bliss.

On the matter of putting lives in danger, you do it every time you step in any car under any conditions. The most dangerous thing a normal person can do is get in a car... but we all do it anyways. Im not saying there is no logic in bringing up a skill level and what to do in an emergency at a high speed or hard turn, but when there's no one around i feel its perfectly fine because the results of your actions would be your own.

Ohh btw, Germany is doing just fine with the Autobahn.
PlayersExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:44 PM   #12

2K3_Boxster_S have you researched

the law in VA for exceeding the speed limit by over 20MPH or driving more than 80. I suggest you do it soon.

A VA Reckless driving conviction will result in being convicted of a class 1 misdemeanor pursuant to Virginia Code Section 18.2-11. The maximum statutory penalty for a class one misdemeanor is twelve (12) months in jail, six months suspension of your Virginia driver's license for six months plus a fine of $2,500.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke
the law in VA for exceeding the speed limit by over 20MPH or driving more than 80. I suggest you do it soon.

A VA Reckless driving conviction will result in being convicted of a class 1 misdemeanor pursuant to Virginia Code Section 18.2-11. The maximum statutory penalty for a class one misdemeanor is twelve (12) months in jail, six months suspension of your Virginia driver's license for six months plus a fine of $2,500.
Congratulations on learning how to CUT and PASTE. or did you get help with that?

Whats the penalty for going 0 to 45 mph in 4.7 seconds in a 45 mph zone?
Old 09-08-2009, 06:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K3_Boxster_S
Congratulations on learning how to CUT and PASTE. or did you get help with that?

Whats the penalty for going 0 to 45 mph in 4.7 seconds in a 45 mph zone?

Well some states like Illinois have whats called an "Engine Braking" Law which means flooring it from 0-45 will result in a ticket if caught. (The law was derived to catch "Street Racers" who had radar guns and wouldnt finish their stoplight grand prix because the detector went off.. so the cop could still put 2 and 2 together to ticket them anyways for the loud engine/exhaust noise.)

Its a bs law, but it's still there... Where did our freedom go?

In all honesty though, this is a peaceful forum 2K3.. please don't make attacks, snipes, or rude/ignorant comments to other members of this forum whether it is justified or not. Two wrongs do not make a right, and treat others as you would have then treat you. Please keep that in mind for future reference because this forum was created for everyone's (including yours) benefit.

Last edited by PlayersExpress; 09-08-2009 at 06:35 PM.
PlayersExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:42 AM   #15

Must be nice to be where you guys are at, allowed to speed, gun the engine, hard braking.

Not in Ohio... we be in a Pole Leese State. Cross into the Buckeye and a State Boy will be there to check your ticket.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by vath2001
Must be nice to be where you guys are at, allowed to speed, gun the engine, hard braking.

Not in Ohio... we be in a Pole Leese State. Cross into the Buckeye and a State Boy will be there to check your ticket.
It's not that were allowed to do it. There are just certain areas and certain times that no one is around.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:36 AM   #17
Track rat

Garage
Laws are pretty tough in Calif. too. If caught for excessive speed, wreckless, or street racing, the car may be impounded at the officers discretion. Blink is playing a little Russian roulette here with his car. But... let those of us who have never done this sort of thing in our youth cast the first stone. (I paraphrase)
Old 09-09-2009, 08:27 AM   #18

Blink, aside from a little extra wear and tear on the equipment it's not bad at all. It's a sports car and a Porsche one at that. It's designed to be braked hard, turned hard, accelerated hard. I like to go out for fun drives to, but I always have a fear of the man lurking (for good reason) so going all out on a public road isn't the best idea. Have you considered autocross or track days? So much more fun because you don't have to worry about the things you do on a public road. Plus, it feeds my need to compete against others.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:18 PM   #19

When is a question, not a question? When it is phrased like the one that started this thread.

So, you KNOW that if you hammer the car, it will shorten its life. That is simply a law of physics. You know the brakes and tires will wear out faster, erc. That is why they are called "wear items" in the warranty.

That is your issue of course; if your engine grenades or you drope a grand on tires, it is between you and you.

If you plow your silly a** into someone else, that is where the issue changes quite a bit.

And, if the CHP gets you on your little 120 joy ride, well, the tires will seem like a cheap deal.

So, lets end this little thread right here. If you want to take your car to the track and run it above red line, be my guest. That is what the track is for; speed and testing your skill, if you have any.

If you want to drive it into me and mine, we have another conversation, right?

Be very careful how your respond.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:50 PM   #20

haha I wasiting for Bruce! You've gotten soft my man! This should have been locked awhile ago....

I'm like Ricky Bobby...I like to go fast....but talking about it on the board is a big no no....and 120 on the highway is a mistake....whether you think you are alone or not...

I would hate to see you filp that car and see a complete different expression on your bro's face....just a side note

super66 is offline   Reply With Quote