Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2017, 10:11 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
I am looking forward to these! Only things I'll need to decide is whether to buy red or silver and if there is an alternative option to the center crest. How do people think the red would look with red brake calipers and either 18 inch Lt. Carrera or 17 inch Boxster II wheels in their stock silver car on a seal gray car? I already have Fred's projector beams in gunmetal, so maybe gunmetal would be the way to go?
I'll let anyone else decide 4U, I can't do this

Paul, give it a few days until I've pt up a few renderings/visuals of diff wheels in different colors. Just need to get the laser marking sorted first and rig a few for us to see. I also want to see those

RE center; I am doing a set of caps for a friend here with the center completely solid in anodize black. He want his corporate club logo laser'ed right in the center instead of the P crest. I guess I'll soon have a few of those little disk centers and will keep some for solid/laser use!

You guys might want to start thinking about something creative for the center if needed. Laser machine here is accepting vector based graphic only (*.ai, eps, cdr, pdf). Can't process jpeg or anything pixelated.

No DEAD SKULLS please LOL

Old 01-30-2017, 10:27 AM   #82

Thanks Fred, I don't know what the art of the possible and reasonable is, but a "Boxster S" using the same trunk deck script in red on a silver center would be sweet. Along the lines of these pictures-

PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:30 AM   #83

I think this would look sooo sexy on a weekend roadster, no?!

Just goes to show. Limitless really so be creative and I'll be happy to help out

Old 01-30-2017, 10:36 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Thanks Fred, I don't know what the art of the possible and reasonable is, but a "Boxster S" using the same trunk deck script in red on a silver center would be sweet. Along the lines of these pictures-
Paul, (all), no offense but please don't ask me what's best style/color/etc because almost every single time I offer advice the guys always end choosing something completely different from what I've proposed so... I quit bud

You are all on your own on that part. mouahah

Paul, RE "possible and reasonable". Anything really, up to you bro. Just got to be in vector format, solid black/white graphix like that skull above works best but can do raster also.

Last edited by Nine8Six; 01-30-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:13 AM   #85

I made this in Adobe Illustrator for my vinyl decals, I stretched it for my vinyl but I could edit it so that it would fit into a circle, this might be cool for mine if there is a custom option for the center cap. Although I probably would just do silver crest

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:20 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Paul, (all), no offense but please don't ask me what's best style/color/etc because almost every single time I offer advice the guys always end choosing something completely different from what I've proposed so... I quit bud

You are all on your own on that part. mouahah

Paul, RE "possible and reasonable". Anything really, up to you bro. Just got to be in vector format, solid black/white graphix like that skull above works best but can do raster also.
Thanks Fred. I will look for or figure out how to get the Boxster S script in a vector format. Then I'll just need to know how much extra the cost is over the standard offering! That's what I meant about "possible and reasonable"! Even I am on a budget!
Old 01-30-2017, 11:50 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
I made this in Adobe Illustrator for my vinyl decals, I stretched it for my vinyl but I could edit it so that it would fit into a circle, this might be cool for mine if there is a custom option for the center cap. Although I probably would just do silver crest
Well there you go, we were all looking for the "Limited Edition" icon.

Ladies & Gent, thanks goes to Steve!

$4,999.00 (each)

Last edited by Nine8Six; 01-30-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:42 PM   #88

Quote:
Well there you go, we were all looking for the "Limited Edition" icon.

Ladies & Gent, thanks goes to Steve!

$4,999.00 (each)

Nice! I'll take 8. Edit: And I bow to your 3d and photo manipulation skills!
Old 02-01-2017, 02:28 AM   #89

Porsche center caps renderings

Here goes the first stack of renders! More to come if needed

I'm just going to keep the laser markings that I've done for the previous CGT series as this is what wins among everyone I've asked here. I apologize for the GT Collection autograph... I know it is extremely pretentious (loll) but there you go, gives a collection look & feel to them and getting good feedback from those who've seen them. Keeper!

Anyhow, I guess you can call those fully-custom so if you don't like anything you can personalize them to your taste.

If anyone in business and interested to get a batch for retail I can let them go for a better price. Something like $3,999.00 (each). Just PM me and we'll talk (no min. qty required)

(serious, I still don't know what's the price tag on those, certainly below $150 for a kit for sure. Let's see when I'm done)

^ Any Sepultura fans here?!
Old 02-01-2017, 03:07 AM   #90

Won't you be in violation of copyright laws thru your use of the Porsche name and trademark?

Ferrari, for one, regularly goes after and prosecutes such cases like this.

Thanks - DM
Dave80GTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:27 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave80GTSi View Post
Won't you be in violation of copyright laws thru your use of the Porsche name and trademark?

Ferrari, for one, regularly goes after and prosecutes such cases like this.

Thanks - DM
I personally don't know anyone senior enough boarding the Ferrari group so very unlikely you'll see me using Enzo's trademark :/ Don't like Ferrari anyway... reminds me too much of girls shoes

You don't like my center caps?!
Old 02-01-2017, 05:12 AM   #92

Quote:
I don't like them.
Wait for it
I LOVE THEM!

My wife hates when she asks me if I liked supper because I never like it. I always LOVE IT!!!
Old 02-01-2017, 06:23 AM   #93

I am in for that gunmetal gray in your second and third pictures - it's like you used my car! Seal gray Boxster S with Lt. Alloy Carrera wheels in silver and de-ambered side marker lights. I also have the gunmetal gray GT Collection headlights. Looking good Fred, thanks!
Old 02-01-2017, 02:37 PM   #94

Hey - I'm still waiting on an updated 987.2 LED Windscreen! That would rock! I loved my LED windscreen on my 986, want one on my 987!
Old 02-01-2017, 05:12 PM   #95

Quote:
I personally don't know anyone senior enough boarding the Ferrari group so very unlikely you'll see me using Enzo's trademark :/ Don't like Ferrari anyway... reminds me too much of girls shoes

I do not see how you may have felt that I did not appreciate the work that you have displayed - they do look quite nice.

No reason to take a cheap shot against Ferrari (girl's shoes - ???). I simply used them as an illustration of my point since I have been active on FerrariChat.com for the past 15 years. And it is well known there that the Ferrari corporate legal staff regularly monitors the site, looking for copyright infringements.

One can therefore reasonably assume that Porsche has a similar legal department that might perhaps take exception to your work.

That's all - I have said my piece, and I wish you the best of luck in your work.
Dave80GTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:22 PM   #96
Custom User Title Here

Garage
He's a hobbyist doing this for himself, Dave. If he happens to pass some along to his friends that want to donate to help cover material and machining costs, I don't see the problem.

It's not like he's mass producing a product.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:31 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
He's a hobbyist doing this for himself, Dave. If he happens to pass some along to his friends that want to donate to help cover material and machining costs, I don't see the problem.

It's not like he's mass producing a product.
+1

.....i would think the long view would be free brand placement, promotion and marketing.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:34 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave80GTSi View Post
That's all - I have said my piece
Ok, that's great, thanks!

Just like Ferrari, Dave, Porsche are indeed bothered about the un-authorized use of their TM. They won’t give ‘anyone’ the auth to do so, even to those who get to hang out with the top execs from Porsche Asia during the Carrera Cup, F1GP and other events

Fortunately for us they are not as apocalyptic as some member here and somehow let us enjoy a bit e.g. flags, pins, knockoff center caps, etc etc that you see “everywhere on eBay”. Even their wheels designs. If they’d go full-speed legal about it trust me it’d be shut down in the morning under the VeRO act.

As for those caps, and as friend Charles/Particlewave said, I do not offer them for 'profits' (hell, they'd be $625/set with all the works that goes into them lolll). If I’d be the bad guy I’d manufacture 20,000 and upload those crazy renderings on every eCommerce platforms known to mankind today and certainly get rich overnight with this stuff. I clearly have the abilities to do so but for obvious reasons I don’t. You just need to know where boundaries are (Dave!)

What I do for friends is “fully custom” and based on your requirements so if you or others are feeling uncomfortable with using that majestic badge for your own caps, by all mean ask for the Death Skull design instead

Last edited by Nine8Six; 02-02-2017 at 12:36 AM.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:04 PM   #99

That skull 986 logo is pretty darn cool. I just put new caps on my wheels to freshen them up a bit, but these would definitely be something special.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:08 PM   #100

I like the Sepultura Star Those stars are actually sold, no kidd... funny

Ran this at the local club here in SH and so far have 14/set pre-orders - given they are below $150. I'll run the same deal with you guys in a bit or just before they go on the machines.

Plan on hitting the shop floor this coming Friday eve to warm up the machines for Saturday and Sunday work. I'll take pics, lots of pics, vids maybe we'll see.