Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2023, 05:50 PM   #1

986 best Apple CarPlay option

I saw a very nice 986 sold on BaT last week with a Sony stereo upgrade that included the full works - Apple CarPlay, back up camera, etc. This was a Sony XAV-AX7000 unit, available from Amazon for ~ $650 (not including back up camera setup, etc). Pelican sells a Porsche factory upgrade unit (presumably not Sony) for more than twice that.
Which begs the question - what have others done to bring their 986s into the 21st century? The original stereo was sub-mediocre at best. Would love to hear what others are happiest with. Thank you.

6and6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 06:56 AM   #2

Garage
I posted about my recent HU install here. After a month of use I am very happy with my choice. There are lots of threads on here about audio upgrades. Good luck with your search and welcome
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 07:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
I posted about my recent HU install here. After a month of use I am very happy with my choice. There are lots of threads on here about audio upgrades. Good luck with your search and welcome
That's a sharp looking install and blends very well, aesthetically, considering 22 year old car IMNSHO!

Nicely done @BruceH @6and6 OP - you certainly won't get hurt taking design cues from BruceH.

Good luck
Old 10-20-2023, 10:20 AM   #4

I installed the single-DIN Porsche headunit with wired Apple CarPlay. I added a wireless Apple CarPlay adapter I purchased on Amazon and it works perfectly. It looks completely OEM and fits in well with the GT3 center console delete (which is why I only had space for the single DIN version.) I didn’t install the Satellite receiver antenna because I never plan to use built-navigation, and I hid the the USB receiver plugs back behind the dash, to give a more clean and integrated look.

The screen on the single-DIN version is comically small and not all that usable while driving, but it certainly beats any other single-DIN alternative.

Last edited by Carlton Bale; 10-21-2023 at 02:52 AM.
Carlton Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 03:29 PM   #5

2002 Boxster S. After 14 years of ownership, I finally replaced the original CDR220 with a great set up: 7" Alpine ILX-507a head unit + Alpine KTA-450 Power Pack. This produces 50 watts rms into 4 channels. Focal speakers replaced the front, side and rear, and a Pioneer TSWX140DA self-powered sub fitted behind the passenger seat. To the right of the HU is the Alpine RUE-BK01A rotary volume knob, which I added as this is more convenient and safer to use than pushing a volume button.

Not only is the sound terrific, but the HU enables the connection of a 1 Tb SSD, which holds FLAC files, streaming TIDAL, and plays Car Play wirelessly.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Last edited by derekcohen; 10-25-2023 at 03:32 PM.
derekcohen is offline   Reply With Quote