Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2020, 10:29 AM   #761

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalla View Post
Didn't you spend some time in jail a few years ago?
For getting physical and beating up an advertised pedophile picking and 'touching' a 8 years old girl in front of me and while on a holiday/dining with my former boss in Thailand? Yes, I did, up to until the day I've complied to his request and paid his f n medical bill (I totally lost it and fck'ed him up quite badly at the end). Best month of my life (not).

Old 03-16-2020, 03:15 PM   #762
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Hey fellas, just a quick note to let you know that we are taking a break for a few weeks.
Fred, we want ya healthy, safe, and sound.
But I see you getting pinged about the wheel center-caps.... I jsut want to bump this thread back to the top so you don't start thinking those center caps are higher priority. hahaha.

(I'ma send you a photo of my new project with your center caps though!! )
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 03:24 PM   #763

Waiting and ready!
2015 Ninja 300
TTGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:10 PM   #764
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I might be ready to part with mine for a trade + $60ish.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:55 AM   #765
Rookie

Garage
I had one of these for my 986 (logo and lettering in amber) and miss it since getting my 987. Know Fred is on hiatus and may be a while before he's back in his lab again creating works of art but has he done one for a 987?
TypeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:15 AM   #766
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
I might be ready to part with mine for a trade + $60ish.
PM'ing you.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:19 PM   #767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
Oh oh oh. Christmas gift is a little bigger. At this point my wife asked "just what does 'stuff for the boxster' mean?" Lol.

Will you anodize/paint the clips?
I like design you can add me to the list. Very subtle blue lighting would be nice.
Old 05-02-2020, 04:02 PM   #768

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeA View Post
....done one for a 987?
Haven't. But can't see what stops us from working on this together. Let's see if I can get my hands on a spare kit locally. I'll look on my side but if you know of any readily advertised F.S. do let me know and I'll import this over. -or- if you're happy to send over your existing kit then let's do that and I'll ship it back along with the engineered replacement (free, ofc!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
I like design you can add me to the list. Very subtle blue lighting would be nice.
Time to get the balls rolling again, change mind and entertain so to speak. This covid-s-hity-19 changed quite a few plans on my side, which I won't go into details now as I feel each and everyone of us have their own crap to deal with.. whether that is business, finance, work, logistics, family, etc... my issues are much smaller than some of others', so... for later.

Where were we? Ah, yes, the controller... let me finish this prototype and sign it off, so we can move on to getting these kits laser'ed and ready for the spring/summer season
Old 05-03-2020, 09:26 AM   #769
WALDMEISTER

Garage
TADA, welcome back, glad you survived so far!
Old 05-03-2020, 11:35 AM   #770

Great to see things back online.

If you can ship to Ireland put my name on one!

Stay safe
2003 Boxster S, Seal Grey
Traco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:44 AM   #771

So... we've agreed to have:

1) RGB Colors & Brightness
2) Brake Light Signal
3) Some fun...

Spent the day yesterday thinking how the HMI would work out. Thought of analog buttons but then quickly realized we are in year 2020(I think?) and buttons where, like, 1969 style user interaction. Got in-touch with an old display supplier today and asked whether they had small displays engineered for cold weather "with capacitive touch". To my surprise he said he had them in all sizes (lol). So had him sending me the dwg to see if I can fit this bad boy into a relatively small enclosure (hand-held) and I'm quite happy with the size, not much bigger than what we had before anyway (picture a mini-iPhone thingy).

The display is 240X340 resolution, 2.4", capacitive touch (i.e not the old resistive style needing a silly stylus), 16-bit, writes at 60ns (!!!), -20~70dC spec'ed.

My question to you guys is this:

Now that we anticipate to have a (half)modern controller, "is there anything else that you would like to have in this thing apart from RGB and some fun?". I'm thinking developers in mind as I know a whole lot of you folks would love to thinker with this so I just need to know if you need some extra bells & whistles in the kit e.g. K-Line (aka make your own Durametric or performance map up-loader), Roof-controller, Jet-Propulsion On-Switch, some extra GPIOs for .....

Open for both brilliant & silly ideas, please chime before I hit the schematic design!

^ Just a quick CAD perspective. Trying to gauge the PCB size we'll be given to play this out.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:08 AM   #772
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Let's see...I think we all agreed, that we would like to have that controller integrated into a Porsche rear view mirror, so we could additionally connect that to our WLAN backup cameras, right?
Old 05-04-2020, 08:24 AM   #773

Back-up cam?? you meant X-RAY Vision to see through clothes, right?

Man, the rear-view mirror enclosure. I think you are sounding innovation right there Bran! Let me have a look at the existing one and see if we could re-use the glass and mount but have it re-designed.

Any (other)brilliant idea(s) like this one, hit it guys!

Last edited by Nine8Six; 05-04-2020 at 08:28 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:17 AM   #774

Quote:
Back-up cam?? you meant X-RAY Vision to see through clothes, right?

Man, the rear-view mirror enclosure. I think you are sounding innovation right there Bran! Let me have a look at the existing one and see if we could re-use the glass and mount but have it re-designed.

Any (other)brilliant idea(s) like this one, hit it guys!

If we are going to have a controller for the wind screen lights, would it be possible to add outputs or controls for the same or similar led’s to add footwell lighting or???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 11:10 AM   #775

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kboggs View Post
add outputs or controls for the same or similar led’s to add footwell lighting or???
Quick Update on the LED winner; we are going for addressable LED. Most commonly known as WS2812B. Therefore a POS(+) NEG(-) and a IO (3-wires). The LEDs are independently/digitally driven by SPI and a clock source so this makes it much easier for me to drive this controller-side wise. It makes no difference to the user other than being able to create custom fading/mixing patterns and other cool effects, which I suspect will be of any interest or use, but the feature is there if needed.

Trying to visualize your idea. How do you see this working out installation-wise? Do we need a whole lot of lighting or 1 (or 2) LED is sufficient per each sides? I'm interested to hear more when you have time.

Is below what you had in mind? Something you can control via that SkyBreaker controller for both color and brightness? (Thanks btw!)

edit: don't feel overwhelmed by those ports, possibly going to be a single-core harness with a stress-relief boot instead (cleaner) or a one multi-pin connector sharing same GND and (+). Yet to arrive at that part of the design, just putting this here for feature visualization/debate.

Last edited by Nine8Six; 05-04-2020 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-05-2020, 04:17 PM   #776

Quote:
Quick Update on the LED winner; we are going for addressable LED. Most commonly known as WS2812B. Therefore a POS(+) NEG(-) and a IO (3-wires). The LEDs are independently/digitally driven by SPI and a clock source so this makes it much easier for me to drive this controller-side wise. It makes no difference to the user other than being able to create custom fading/mixing patterns and other cool effects, which I suspect will be of any interest or use, but the feature is there if needed.

Trying to visualize your idea. How do you see this working out installation-wise? Do we need a whole lot of lighting or 1 (or 2) LED is sufficient per each sides? I'm interested to hear more when you have time.

Is below what you had in mind? Something you can control via that SkyBreaker controller for both color and brightness? (Thanks btw!)

edit: don't feel overwhelmed by those ports, possibly going to be a single-core harness with a stress-relief boot instead (cleaner) or a one multi-pin connector sharing same GND and (+). Yet to arrive at that part of the design, just putting this here for feature visualization/debate.

Yep, love it! Depending where the controller is mounted I would imagine a strip or 1-3 leds depending on brightness to add under dash on each side for the footwell lighting. Maybe other light applications for those not interested in footwell lighting? Option for rope or others if the connections would be interchangeable and can be sourced even later?? Would the color/controls be independent of the skybreaker or need to be the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 01:16 AM   #777

I like this idea. The visual speaks too, not a bad in-car mood lighting at all in fact, thanks for putting this up (easy to understand!).

The color & brightness can be independent from the skybreaker and a software option (checkbox) can be labelled "synchronize color" so to have the same color for both footwell and skybreaker. The brightness can (and should) remain independent though.

So... SPI1(SkyBreaker) and SPI2(Footwell) with a color sync option. I'll see if I can wire & write this up. The only challenge now is to think of some ways to have 3 LED per each side enclosed in some type of enclosure that can be discretely mounted somewhere in there. Let me think of something... I'll update on the progress

Old 05-06-2020, 02:49 PM   #778
01 Seal Gray 986 S

Question... If looking for more HMI interactions and possible growth, couldn't the controller wireless connect to either my phone or my headunit?

I have not done a lot of work with leds and their control, but in the robotics and IoT applications I have been working with it almost always makes more sense to manage the controller over wireless rather then add the complexity of lcds and touchscreens to the device.

Thoughts?

Edit: added:

I might be failing to correctly imagine the final outcome.. I am picturing having to incorporate a 2.4" screen somewhere in my car and although the mirror is a good idea, personally I think I would rather keep things simple in the boxster. This car is more about driving to me.. but if could control from my phone or headunit.. that is a bonus.

Last edited by bg305; 05-06-2020 at 02:54 PM.
bg305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 03:51 PM   #779

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg305 View Post
but if could control from my phone or headunit.. that is a bonus.
Read all, quoted the key message and understand fully what you are saying. And you are 100% correct. Main challenge being that cross-platform impediment and management from a coding perspective; Steve got an iPhone, Ruth got an Android, lil sister got an HTC, big sister got the new XYZ and cousin have his Blackberry, you see where I'm going with this...

Sought of using a cross-platform one-fit-all solution e.g. a browser addy http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xx:XXXX and port over lets say a NRF24L01+ or a LT8920 radio IC (2.4Ghz) but then the work involved is equivalent if not more than simply coding an X&Y axis touch screen. The radio would also require FCC ID (if compliance is an issue for anyone) :/

Finally, if the device would be used daily like a tune-in radio or similar then it would make sense to put in connectivity but in this case chances the color & brightness settings will be set once (or twice) then forgotten.

Not all lost cause. We'll have extra GPIOs on the device and probably use a nice quad size for developers to expand this controller to what-ever-they-want. That would include connectivity if what they add in the future requires that feature!!!

If there is anything that could convince me otherwise please do let me know and I'll reconsider my opinions. Thanks for trying to help out, appreciated btw!

Edit: Adding in a MCP2021A-330E/SN, sort of a gift to our Devs who wish to have both read & write access to the ECU and car data and/or build their own HMI around that (comm via k-line over 10400baud). So see, plenty of other tricks you'll be able to do with this lil cool box

Last edited by Nine8Six; 05-06-2020 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-06-2020, 04:18 PM   #780

Already half-way in the preliminary design. Sort of gauging what we'll need in term of hardware so to get this on order for tests. So far got the MCU, Display, a Quad-SPI Flash (for the display assets) and a K-line transceiver. Yet arrived to the SMPS, protection and filtering to power up that kit. We have a 64 pins quad there and from the look of things we'll need to beef this up to 100pins already lol All good fun!