Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2014, 12:57 PM   #61

Hmm, never heard anything but what i believe was the IMS bearing screaming at me, but will heed the warning. I may just go ahead and tear down the first motor with bad IMS and see what I have left for a core. I am capable of teardown and reassemble, just tend to not have time, other projects, life, kids,etc...... But I'm getting pissed at the entire situation right now that I've almost talked myself into jumping in to it head first.
Aside from the aforementioned goodies, any advise? Helpful tutorials, books etc?

993innc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:44 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by 993innc View Post
Hmm, never heard anything but what i believe was the IMS bearing screaming at me, but will heed the warning. I may just go ahead and tear down the first motor with bad IMS and see what I have left for a core. I am capable of teardown and reassemble, just tend to not have time, other projects, life, kids,etc...... But I'm getting pissed at the entire situation right now that I've almost talked myself into jumping in to it head first.
Aside from the aforementioned goodies, any advise? Helpful tutorials, books etc?
Don't know your complete story -- but if you had an IMS fail and you rebuilt the motor but did not completely flush the oil system of any debris (and this is not easy to do),
then your new IMS bearing could have been shredded by FOB from the previous engine loss.

I happen to have a 2.7L (not sure what you are running) with IMSB, nikisil block, and a few other goodies --

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:31 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by seningen View Post
Don't know your complete story -- but if you had an IMS fail and you rebuilt the motor but did not completely flush the oil system of any debris (and this is not easy to do),
then your new IMS bearing could have been shredded by FOB from the previous engine loss.

I happen to have a 2.7L (not sure what you are running) with IMSB, nikisil block, and a few other goodies --

Mike
I'll start from the end.

I do need a 2.7
The bearing was replaced on a good motor for "preventative" maintenance (yeah how'd that work out?!). In fact the wrench said it was the original bearing and in great shape but knowing I was tracking we replaced along with a few other preventative items.

Let me know on your motor....
993innc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:03 PM   #64

Garage
Related to all this, I have a 2002 Boxster S with H&R sport springs. I'm not that happy with the ride height (dropped about 1.2" around) and would like to bring it up 1/4 - 1/2". Anyone have suggestions on which shims I should use to achieve that kind of height adjustment? I already purchased and installed the adjustable toe links for the back to get the camber set, but I know I'll need to do another alignment after bringing it back up.

Thanks!
2006 987 S - daily Black/Black (sold)
ToddRu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:58 AM   #65

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddRu View Post
Related to all this, I have a 2002 Boxster S with H&R sport springs. I'm not that happy with the ride height (dropped about 1.2" around) and would like to bring it up 1/4 - 1/2". Anyone have suggestions on which shims I should use to achieve that kind of height adjustment? I already purchased and installed the adjustable toe links for the back to get the camber set, but I know I'll need to do another alignment after bringing it back up.

Thanks!
I'm not sure of your budget but the best answer to this problem is adjustable coil overs kit. One with adjustable chamber plates. Ksport make a good entry level set. KW Variant and HR street are higher priced but more adjustable.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:56 AM   #66

993innc what happened with your motor? I am curious what the culprit was. Cant believe a replaced imsb went out so fast...i have 700miles on my new imsb by EPS so far. Lol i know its a long shot but just really curios.

Ps
I just got a box, planing to go out on track do some DE

zvovchik is offline   Reply With Quote