Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2017, 11:46 AM   #1

Control arm rebuild

My Boxster has what I think are the original control arms, so I'd like to do a refresh of the control arms. Since I track the car quite a bit, I was considering just rebuilding the stock control arms with the Powerflex urethane bushings. The issue I have is I can't seem to find ball joint replacements for the coffin arms (rear toe arms?). I'm planning on getting coilovers soon, probably the KSport Kontrol Pro, and they include camber plates, so I won't need GT3 control arms.

Can one press out and replace the ball joints on the coffin arms? Who sells the ball joints?

The steering tie rods seem fine, no play or wear. Should I redo them anyways?

Maybe this has been discussed before...

2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles
AZ986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:16 PM   #2

Nobody sells the ball joints to replace the ones on the oem control arms... not even rebuilders like elephant.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:02 AM   #3

I'd do some research on the ksports. I have heard very mixed reviews there.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:31 PM   #4

Quote:
KSport Kontrol Pro, and they include camber plates, so I won't need GT3 control arms
Those camber plates don't offer enough -camber. Maybe another 1degree on top of the 1degree you get from the stock plates.

The *only real way to get camber in the cars is adjustable lower control arms.
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post
Those camber plates don't offer enough -camber. Maybe another 1degree on top of the 1degree you get from the stock plates.

The *only real way to get camber in the cars is adjustable lower control arms.
Hey Brad, yeah I understand.
I did however slot my towers and right now, with stock control arms and suspension, I'm getting ~-1.8 to -2.0 camber in the front. I would think the sweet spot for front camber is ~-2.5 deg with my RComp tires and stock suspension (with Eibach sway bars). Right now, I'm getting a little wear on the outside of the front tires, but I don't feel any understeer running 34-35 psi hot. Rears are wearing even and I have -1.9 deg camber on the rear (maxed out stock setting).

If I wanted to do this right, I would want to do PSS9s or KW3s, adj. control arms, adj. drop links, FIA seats + 6 pt harnesses + HANS, fire suppression, electric power steering etc... My issue is how to do all that and still have a budget leftover for my truck, bimmer, house remodeling, track events and the girlfriend!
2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles

Last edited by AZ986S; 11-29-2017 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Nobody sells the ball joints to replace the ones on the oem control arms... not even rebuilders like elephant.
A great opportunity for someone to jump in and rebuild these control arms... Source out the balljoint, bushings, get the right equipment (orbital crimping?) and sell online. If you can sell these OEM quality control arms for $75-$100 (not including core price), maybe there is a market? I understand you can get Meyle brand arms for $85-$90, but Porsche sells them for >$350 per arm!

Last edited by AZ986S; 11-29-2017 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:21 PM   #7

You got the swaybars already, you could keep using the stock links unless you want to corner balance along with adjustable coilovers, as is my car without corner balancing is only 7 pounds off.

If you keep an eye out and grab a set of gently used pss9 that come up for sale from.time to time, or even just a set of the eibach pro springs (still made for uk market) that also come up from time to time you would be able to get a little lowering and get that extra camber, I am at -2.5 front and it is working well for me
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:33 AM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
If you keep an eye out and grab a set of gently used pss9 that come up for sale from.time to time...
One way to find used PSS9's is to go to a shop that builds/maintains Spec Boxster's. They usually have a few used PSS9's that came off of a Spec Boxster and are usually willing to sell them. This is how I recently acquired a used PSS9 with only two race weekends on it for a very low price.

Plus, if you're going to track your car, there are a lot of advantages down the road to building a relationship with a shop that knows how to work on track cars (advice and/or work on alignment, weight reduction, seat/harnesses, safety equipment, etc).

It may take a bit of time for you to acquire a full set of PSS9's but patience can pay off.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote