Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2007, 09:55 AM   #1

How do I get 300 HP?

I have a 2000 S, completely stock....does anyone have any data/information on how to get to around 300 hp in a realatively easy way...ie..exhaust, chip...and how much HP to expect from each? Kind of like a shopping list. The reason I pick 300 hp is because of the reviews of the 987S...supercharging is way beyond my technical limits and wallet (I think)...

IowaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:56 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaS
I have a 2000 S, completely stock....does anyone have any data/information on how to get to around 300 hp in a relatively easy way...ie..exhaust, chip...and how much HP to expect from each? Kind of like a shopping list. The reason I pick 300 hp is because of the reviews of the 987S...supercharging is way beyond my technical limits and wallet (I think)...
Short of forced induction, Engine swap...etc.. it's not going to happen.
If it was easy don't you think we all would do it?

Good luck!

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:50 AM   #3

Smile

Ditto on that. Let us know if you figure this one out.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:53 AM   #4

I think I only need 60 to get to 300....sp yeah, if you come across an inexpensive way.....you would make a fortune
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:12 AM   #5

You can always get the Turbonator! :dance:

Muhahah!

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky

Muhahah!

That looks sweet, looks like you only need a screwdriver to install it...

I may be falling victim to marketing techniques, you see claims of 10% increases for air filters, 10% for exhaust, with rarely any data to back it up. I know alot of people have done exhausts, chips and others just not sure if this is real or not.
IowaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 12:00 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
jsut get one of those turbo sounding things that u hook up to your exhaust tips, thats like good 90HP
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 12:49 PM   #8

It doesn't go fast enough

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/itisn%27tfastenough

You don't have enough $ to do all that, so don't even start. Spend the $ on getting your self how to drive the car to the max using professional race car schools or PCA DE days (lots cheaper).
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 01:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky

Muhahah!

I actually bought two of those for my BMW and I noticed an immediate performance decrease LOL

I returned them at least.

I didn't think it'd work but there was a money back guarantee.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:20 PM   #10

Buy an STI. Easy!

-David
http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 03:34 PM   #11

one thing I learned right away is that inexpensive/cheap and Porsche do not belong in the same sentence.

I gained a modest 18 hp with new headers and an exhaust at a cost of $550 only because the headers/muffler were free!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:48 PM   #12

Last year I set out to tune my Boxster and here's how?

I run a 2002 boxster S which makes 306 bhp.
I run an Evolution air intake, Fabspeed 986 cats pipes and mufflers. And ecu remap.
20 bhp from ecu alone. Massive power increase at 3000 rpm +100 bhp to 250bhp at these revs.
At 5000 rpm car makes 300 bhp.
You have big improvement in mid range power. Absolutely fantastic on road.
Evolution air intake makes about 8 bhp on stock
The biggest boost is using good quality big diameter hsl 200 cel cats, probably plus 20 bhp.
Muuffler plus 8 bhp.
The problems you have though
Are deafning noise levels from cold air intake at over 5000rpm
Below 3000 rpm you get resonance, very boomy, from exhaust.
The oiled air filter can cause maf problems, if oil gets on maf and (loss of power)
Changing over old headers is tricky as steel bolts tend to corrode in aluminium engine.
The last down side is cost if you by cheap parts you get nowhere.
Check out fabspeed you tube video of 986 tuning.

The gains are made on the exhaust side of system, especially cats.
For intake side you could get some gains by simply installing bmc air filter into existing air box
I see people buy larger throttle bodies and plenhiems. But the standard arn't restrictive.

My choice is good ecu remap, and replace both lots of cats with single pair of top quality 200 cel units.
Going down fabspeed route will work but will cost. But you are guaranteed plus 20% power

I will try to post dyno power curves. You will see power up from 150 bhp at 3000 rpm up to 250 bhp after the mods. Simply staggering for simple bolt on mods.
You will find a lot of sites making claims of this and that.
But most of their cheap parts are not worth a dime.
For example beware cheap undesize cats smaller than the originals, not much gas flow i guess
Also beware cold air intakes made of aluminium, aluminium absorbs heat from engine, so how are these cold air intakes, etc etc. Or course some of these cheap parts arn't that cheap either.
So the answer to your question is.The missing 50 bhp is found largely on the exhaust side side of system and by re-mapping.
And yes the car was de-tuned by Porsche so as not to compete with 996, which at time cost twice as much.
How Porsche can make such a great car and cut nuts off it, you can only wonder.
Mike101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:33 PM   #13
Track rat

Garage
Sorry, totally calling BS on Mike 101 from the UK with his 2007 necrobump.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:45 PM   #14
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
IMHO, make sure your suspension is rock solid, buy the best set of tires you can afford, then go find an instructor who knows how to drive a Boxster to the limits. When you can drive the stock Box at its limits, then save up for a 987.2 S.

+1 on DE, PCA or otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
Spend the $ on getting your self how to drive the car to the max using professional race car schools or PCA DE days (lots cheaper).
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:35 PM   #15
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
IMHO, make sure your suspension is rock solid, buy the best set of tires you can afford, then go find an instructor who knows how to drive a Boxster to the limits. When you can drive the stock Box at its limits, then save up for a 987.2 S.

+1 on DE, PCA or otherwise.
You just described Topless

Want 300+ HP, buy a 911
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:36 PM   #16

well, it was only a matter of time before a 'how to get more hp' thread turned into a 'learn how to drive' thread. in this case it took 10 years, but still happened. of course; human nature - you answer the question you want in a manner makes you feel better about yourself, and not the one that was actually asked.

while i have taken pca driving schools, have an fia amature race licence, and have been invited to instruct at our local track, i don't feel the need to put it in my signature, so take my opinion however you like. i don't think you can get 300 hp from a 3.2, but not sure why. bmw can get 100 hp/liter in their m cars, so why can't porsche? pretty confident that mr mike, as topless so eloquently stated, is a bit overblown, but most likely the victim of an optimistic dyno operator? if a 3.4 can get 300 hp stock and say 320 hp w breathing mods (intake, exhaust, tune, UDP, delete the ac and ps) then a 3.2 *should* be able to get close to 300, yes? 320/3.4 = 300/3.2. math. ratios. regardless of who is driving the car, nor the loose nut behind the wheel.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:10 AM   #17

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike101 View Post
Last year I set out to tune my Boxster and here's how?

I run a 2002 boxster S which makes 306 bhp.
I run an Evolution air intake, Fabspeed 986 cats pipes and mufflers. And ecu remap.
20 bhp from ecu alone. Massive power increase at 3000 rpm +100 bhp to 250bhp at these revs.
At 5000 rpm car makes 300 bhp.
You have big improvement in mid range power. Absolutely fantastic on road.
Evolution air intake makes about 8 bhp on stock
The biggest boost is using good quality big diameter hsl 200 cel cats, probably plus 20 bhp.
Muuffler plus 8 bhp.
The problems you have though
Are deafning noise levels from cold air intake at over 5000rpm
Below 3000 rpm you get resonance, very boomy, from exhaust.
The oiled air filter can cause maf problems, if oil gets on maf and (loss of power)
Changing over old headers is tricky as steel bolts tend to corrode in aluminium engine.
The last down side is cost if you by cheap parts you get nowhere.
Check out fabspeed you tube video of 986 tuning.

The gains are made on the exhaust side of system, especially cats.
For intake side you could get some gains by simply installing bmc air filter into existing air box
I see people buy larger throttle bodies and plenhiems. But the standard arn't restrictive.

My choice is good ecu remap, and replace both lots of cats with single pair of top quality 200 cel units.
Going down fabspeed route will work but will cost. But you are guaranteed plus 20% power

I will try to post dyno power curves. You will see power up from 150 bhp at 3000 rpm up to 250 bhp after the mods. Simply staggering for simple bolt on mods.
You will find a lot of sites making claims of this and that.
But most of their cheap parts are not worth a dime.
For example beware cheap undesize cats smaller than the originals, not much gas flow i guess
Also beware cold air intakes made of aluminium, aluminium absorbs heat from engine, so how are these cold air intakes, etc etc. Or course some of these cheap parts arn't that cheap either.
So the answer to your question is.The missing 50 bhp is found largely on the exhaust side side of system and by re-mapping.
And yes the car was de-tuned by Porsche so as not to compete with 996, which at time cost twice as much.
How Porsche can make such a great car and cut nuts off it, you can only wonder.
Good luck with that....................
Old 05-09-2017, 02:54 AM   #18
Beginner

Garage
Despite the silliness this thread was worth reading for "necrobump". Also, Mike101 went a long way for +100HP. All you have to do is drill a couple of holes in your muffler for that.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:27 AM   #19

I spent about 20k for flat6 high performance 3.6 upgrade then another 2-3k for the full Fabspeed exhaust from engine back. HP upgrade included nickies, pistons, rods, intake, different ECU, custom valve job, lightweight flywheel etc, plus comprehensive tuning by Jake. Ultimately it got the solution IMS fix. I may have 300 to the wheels, but I didn't ask for max Horsepower but max throttle response. Jake delivered what I asked for. I believe the comp ratio. Is 12.75/1.

During that initial tuning, Jake tried multiple exhaust systems. Most decreased HP by a small amount. Only fabspeed increased it appreciably. I did not spring for it initially but later ran across a guy who had paid the full 4k for the fabspeed exhaust and didnt like it, so I bought it off him for 2k. If i had it to do over I would have left the stock exhaust and the 15 to 18 more horses. The noise drowns out that sweet intake noise right in your ear and it did sound good. It has saved me a lot on gas though. It sounded so good I couldnt help but go WOT almost every tome in 2nd and 3rd. Oddly enough, I did gain some hP from the solution. Jake was surprised by this and does not claim any increase with that fix, but it did raise horsepower in my car by more than a negligible margin. I don't recall exactly how much but enough that Jake was totally surprised. I don't know if he has see that on other cars or not. Bottom line I don't see 300 at the wheels on any combination of 3.2 bolt on upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2017, 10:07 AM   #20
On the slippery slope

Garage
A stock 3.6 is around 320 HP at the flywheel

Getting a Flat6 engine is not a low cost endeavour

2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote