Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2007, 09:55 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Iowa USA
Posts: 196
How do I get 300 HP?

I have a 2000 S, completely stock....does anyone have any data/information on how to get to around 300 hp in a realatively easy way...ie..exhaust, chip...and how much HP to expect from each? Kind of like a shopping list. The reason I pick 300 hp is because of the reviews of the 987S...supercharging is way beyond my technical limits and wallet (I think)...
IowaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:56 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North New Jersey
Posts: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaS
I have a 2000 S, completely stock....does anyone have any data/information on how to get to around 300 hp in a relatively easy way...ie..exhaust, chip...and how much HP to expect from each? Kind of like a shopping list. The reason I pick 300 hp is because of the reviews of the 987S...supercharging is way beyond my technical limits and wallet (I think)...
Short of forced induction, Engine swap...etc.. it's not going to happen.
If it was easy don't you think we all would do it?

Good luck!
__________________
Marc Gelefsky
02 996 Carrera Coupe 6 Speed Aero
86 911 Carrera Targa

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:50 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Brucelee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 8,083
Smile

Ditto on that. Let us know if you figure this one out.
__________________
Rich Belloff

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:53 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 701
I think I only need 60 to get to 300....sp yeah, if you come across an inexpensive way.....you would make a fortune
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:12 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North New Jersey
Posts: 440
You can always get the Turbonator!

Muhahah!
__________________
Marc Gelefsky
02 996 Carrera Coupe 6 Speed Aero
86 911 Carrera Targa

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:42 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Iowa USA
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
You can always get the Turbonator!

Muhahah!

That looks sweet, looks like you only need a screwdriver to install it...

I may be falling victim to marketing techniques, you see claims of 10% increases for air filters, 10% for exhaust, with rarely any data to back it up. I know alot of people have done exhausts, chips and others just not sure if this is real or not.
IowaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 12:00 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: chicago
Posts: 3,510
Send a message via AIM to djomlas
jsut get one of those turbo sounding things that u hook up to your exhaust tips, thats like good 90HP
__________________
http://i34.tinypic.com/157yslk.jpg
"I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself." ~F. Porsche
Gemballa springs::litronics::Eurotech 18s(275/225)::B&M::MOMO wheel::
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 12:49 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sanford NC
Posts: 2,329
It doesn't go fast enough

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/itisn%27tfastenough

You don't have enough $ to do all that, so don't even start. Spend the $ on getting your self how to drive the car to the max using professional race car schools or PCA DE days (lots cheaper).
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 01:49 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NYC area
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
You can always get the Turbonator!

Muhahah!

I actually bought two of those for my BMW and I noticed an immediate performance decrease LOL



I returned them at least.



I didn't think it'd work but there was a money back guarantee.
__________________
Miss my Boxster
Bavarian Motorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 02:20 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 373
Buy an STI. Easy!

-David
__________________
1995 Silverado V8 - Green/Tan (FOR SALE)
2000 Boxster S - Ocean Blue/Graphite Grey
2002 GSXR750 - Blue/White
http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 03:34 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 7,236
one thing I learned right away is that inexpensive/cheap and Porsche do not belong in the same sentence.

I gained a modest 18 hp with new headers and an exhaust at a cost of $550 only because the headers/muffler were free!
__________________
'97 Boxster (Black Hole for 42,000 Dead Presidents and counting) - 122k
New motor, transmission, suspension, and on and on and on it goes...
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:48 PM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: England
Posts: 1
Last year I set out to tune my Boxster and here's how?

I run a 2002 boxster S which makes 306 bhp.
I run an Evolution air intake, Fabspeed 986 cats pipes and mufflers. And ecu remap.
20 bhp from ecu alone. Massive power increase at 3000 rpm +100 bhp to 250bhp at these revs.
At 5000 rpm car makes 300 bhp.
You have big improvement in mid range power. Absolutely fantastic on road.
Evolution air intake makes about 8 bhp on stock
The biggest boost is using good quality big diameter hsl 200 cel cats, probably plus 20 bhp.
Muuffler plus 8 bhp.
The problems you have though
Are deafning noise levels from cold air intake at over 5000rpm
Below 3000 rpm you get resonance, very boomy, from exhaust.
The oiled air filter can cause maf problems, if oil gets on maf and (loss of power)
Changing over old headers is tricky as steel bolts tend to corrode in aluminium engine.
The last down side is cost if you by cheap parts you get nowhere.
Check out fabspeed you tube video of 986 tuning.

The gains are made on the exhaust side of system, especially cats.
For intake side you could get some gains by simply installing bmc air filter into existing air box
I see people buy larger throttle bodies and plenhiems. But the standard arn't restrictive.

My choice is good ecu remap, and replace both lots of cats with single pair of top quality 200 cel units.
Going down fabspeed route will work but will cost. But you are guaranteed plus 20% power

I will try to post dyno power curves. You will see power up from 150 bhp at 3000 rpm up to 250 bhp after the mods. Simply staggering for simple bolt on mods.
You will find a lot of sites making claims of this and that.
But most of their cheap parts are not worth a dime.
For example beware cheap undesize cats smaller than the originals, not much gas flow i guess
Also beware cold air intakes made of aluminium, aluminium absorbs heat from engine, so how are these cold air intakes, etc etc. Or course some of these cheap parts arn't that cheap either.
So the answer to your question is.The missing 50 bhp is found largely on the exhaust side side of system and by re-mapping.
And yes the car was de-tuned by Porsche so as not to compete with 996, which at time cost twice as much.
How Porsche can make such a great car and cut nuts off it, you can only wonder.
Mike101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:33 PM   #13
Track rat
 
Topless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cucamonga CA
Posts: 3,655
Garage
Sorry, totally calling BS on Mike 101 from the UK with his 2007 necrobump.
__________________
2009 Cayman 2.9L PDK (with a few tweaks)
PCA-GPX Chief Driving Instructor
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:45 PM   #14
1997, PCA Riverside
 
rexcramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Upland, CA
Posts: 1,075
Garage
IMHO, make sure your suspension is rock solid, buy the best set of tires you can afford, then go find an instructor who knows how to drive a Boxster to the limits. When you can drive the stock Box at its limits, then save up for a 987.2 S.

+1 on DE, PCA or otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
Spend the $ on getting your self how to drive the car to the max using professional race car schools or PCA DE days (lots cheaper).
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:35 PM   #15
On the slippery slope
 
JayG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,307
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
IMHO, make sure your suspension is rock solid, buy the best set of tires you can afford, then go find an instructor who knows how to drive a Boxster to the limits. When you can drive the stock Box at its limits, then save up for a 987.2 S.

+1 on DE, PCA or otherwise.
You just described Topless

Want 300+ HP, buy a 911
__________________
2004 Boxster S 6 speed - DRL relay hack, Polaris AutoTop DIY
2004 996 Targa Tip
Instructor - San Diego region, 2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2013 C300, 2010 Jetta 2011 Mazda 3, 1998 Windstar - Dog van , 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:36 PM   #16
Registered User
 
The Radium King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,916
well, it was only a matter of time before a 'how to get more hp' thread turned into a 'learn how to drive' thread. in this case it took 10 years, but still happened. of course; human nature - you answer the question you want in a manner makes you feel better about yourself, and not the one that was actually asked.

while i have taken pca driving schools, have an fia amature race licence, and have been invited to instruct at our local track, i don't feel the need to put it in my signature, so take my opinion however you like. i don't think you can get 300 hp from a 3.2, but not sure why. bmw can get 100 hp/liter in their m cars, so why can't porsche? pretty confident that mr mike, as topless so eloquently stated, is a bit overblown, but most likely the victim of an optimistic dyno operator? if a 3.4 can get 300 hp stock and say 320 hp w breathing mods (intake, exhaust, tune, UDP, delete the ac and ps) then a 3.2 *should* be able to get close to 300, yes? 320/3.4 = 300/3.2. math. ratios. regardless of who is driving the car, nor the loose nut behind the wheel.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:10 AM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,143
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike101 View Post
Last year I set out to tune my Boxster and here's how?

I run a 2002 boxster S which makes 306 bhp.
I run an Evolution air intake, Fabspeed 986 cats pipes and mufflers. And ecu remap.
20 bhp from ecu alone. Massive power increase at 3000 rpm +100 bhp to 250bhp at these revs.
At 5000 rpm car makes 300 bhp.
You have big improvement in mid range power. Absolutely fantastic on road.
Evolution air intake makes about 8 bhp on stock
The biggest boost is using good quality big diameter hsl 200 cel cats, probably plus 20 bhp.
Muuffler plus 8 bhp.
The problems you have though
Are deafning noise levels from cold air intake at over 5000rpm
Below 3000 rpm you get resonance, very boomy, from exhaust.
The oiled air filter can cause maf problems, if oil gets on maf and (loss of power)
Changing over old headers is tricky as steel bolts tend to corrode in aluminium engine.
The last down side is cost if you by cheap parts you get nowhere.
Check out fabspeed you tube video of 986 tuning.

The gains are made on the exhaust side of system, especially cats.
For intake side you could get some gains by simply installing bmc air filter into existing air box
I see people buy larger throttle bodies and plenhiems. But the standard arn't restrictive.

My choice is good ecu remap, and replace both lots of cats with single pair of top quality 200 cel units.
Going down fabspeed route will work but will cost. But you are guaranteed plus 20% power

I will try to post dyno power curves. You will see power up from 150 bhp at 3000 rpm up to 250 bhp after the mods. Simply staggering for simple bolt on mods.
You will find a lot of sites making claims of this and that.
But most of their cheap parts are not worth a dime.
For example beware cheap undesize cats smaller than the originals, not much gas flow i guess
Also beware cold air intakes made of aluminium, aluminium absorbs heat from engine, so how are these cold air intakes, etc etc. Or course some of these cheap parts arn't that cheap either.
So the answer to your question is.The missing 50 bhp is found largely on the exhaust side side of system and by re-mapping.
And yes the car was de-tuned by Porsche so as not to compete with 996, which at time cost twice as much.
How Porsche can make such a great car and cut nuts off it, you can only wonder.
Good luck with that....................
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:54 AM   #18
Beginner
 
Jamesp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,659
Garage
Despite the silliness this thread was worth reading for "necrobump". Also, Mike101 went a long way for +100HP. All you have to do is drill a couple of holes in your muffler for that.
__________________
2003 S manual
Jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:27 AM   #19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: ga
Posts: 109
I spent about 20k for flat6 high performance 3.6 upgrade then another 2-3k for the full Fabspeed exhaust from engine back. HP upgrade included nickies, pistons, rods, intake, different ECU, custom valve job, lightweight flywheel etc, plus comprehensive tuning by Jake. Ultimately it got the solution IMS fix. I may have 300 to the wheels, but I didn't ask for max Horsepower but max throttle response. Jake delivered what I asked for. I believe the comp ratio. Is 12.75/1.

During that initial tuning, Jake tried multiple exhaust systems. Most decreased HP by a small amount. Only fabspeed increased it appreciably. I did not spring for it initially but later ran across a guy who had paid the full 4k for the fabspeed exhaust and didnt like it, so I bought it off him for 2k. If i had it to do over I would have left the stock exhaust and the 15 to 18 more horses. The noise drowns out that sweet intake noise right in your ear and it did sound good. It has saved me a lot on gas though. It sounded so good I couldnt help but go WOT almost every tome in 2nd and 3rd. Oddly enough, I did gain some hP from the solution. Jake was surprised by this and does not claim any increase with that fix, but it did raise horsepower in my car by more than a negligible margin. I don't recall exactly how much but enough that Jake was totally surprised. I don't know if he has see that on other cars or not. Bottom line I don't see 300 at the wheels on any combination of 3.2 bolt on upgrades.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2000 Black 996 Aero, 2001 Forest Green Boxster S, 94 Midnight Blue 968 Cab, 1980 Pongee Beige 911SC Weissach Edition, 2004 BMW R1200CLC
ymkmkrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:07 AM   #20
On the slippery slope
 
JayG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,307
Garage
A stock 3.6 is around 320 HP at the flywheel

Getting a Flat6 engine is not a low cost endeavour
__________________
2004 Boxster S 6 speed - DRL relay hack, Polaris AutoTop DIY
2004 996 Targa Tip
Instructor - San Diego region, 2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2013 C300, 2010 Jetta 2011 Mazda 3, 1998 Windstar - Dog van , 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page