Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2024, 08:07 AM   #1

99' Boxster Wheel Ideas

Hello,
I recently bought another 986 Boxster with a pretty sweet color in my opinion. I've been wanting to find some new wheels for this car but it seems like online the options are fairly small with what people decided to choose.

I was hoping anyone and everyone could share the wheels they have themselves and or any ideas/links to some nice places to see some choices on both low, medium, and higher end pricings. Ive attached 2 pics, assuming they upload, of my car in case anyone had any ideas for certain wheels for this color / layout

Last edited by Hamstuh; 08-19-2024 at 08:27 AM.
Hamstuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2024, 09:09 AM   #2

Watch what diameters you choose; the early (pre 2000) car tubs were not reinforced around the suspension mounts as the 2001+ cars were, and they could actually rip the mounts loose or crack the bulkheads due to the leverage of wheels over 17" in diameter.
Old 08-19-2024, 09:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Watch what diameters you choose; the early (pre 2000) car tubs were not reinforced around the suspension mounts as the 2001+ cars were, and they could actually rip the mounts loose or crack the bulkheads due to the leverage of wheels over 17" in diameter.
Interesting - I'd never heard of this concern before. In my case (2000 S) this generates a pair of questions:

1). Is this an S vs. Base issue, in that the higher powered S tubs were perhaps made to be stronger right from the start?

2). Didn't the 2000 S versions come with 18" wheels as an option? Or did the 18" wheel option start for the 2001 model year?

Thanks - DM
Dave80GTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2024, 10:12 AM   #4

Quote:
I did also have a thought regarding this. I've had 2 986 Boxsters, this one associated to the thread does have 17'' wheels however my previous 1999 Boxster did have 18'' (265 35 ZR 18) and to my knowledge never had issues with.

I am open to hearing why sticking to 17 would be safest as i want to make sure this car lasts me forever although, my only counter is that the largest market for these Boxsters appears to be 18 more times than not over 17. If you also happen to have any recommended wheels, id be more than open to seeing what you would recommend.
Old 08-19-2024, 11:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave80GTSi View Post
Interesting - I'd never heard of this concern before. In my case (2000 S) this generates a pair of questions:

1). Is this an S vs. Base issue, in that the higher powered S tubs were perhaps made to be stronger right from the start?

2). Didn't the 2000 S versions come with 18" wheels as an option? Or did the 18" wheel option start for the 2001 model year?

Thanks - DM
1. Tubs are exactly the same.

2. 18" became a regular factory option in 2001 and very late production 2000 cars after the factory tub modification. And no, we are unaware of telling when the modifications become standard as it was done during the production year, so unless you know for a fact that car was delivered with 18", putting them on a 2000 runs a risk.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 08-19-2024 at 12:05 PM.
JFP in PA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2024, 12:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamstuh View Post
I did also have a thought regarding this. I've had 2 986 Boxsters, this one associated to the thread does have 17'' wheels however my previous 1999 Boxster did have 18'' (265 35 ZR 18) and to my knowledge never had issues with.

I am open to hearing why sticking to 17 would be safest as i want to make sure this car lasts me forever although, my only counter is that the largest market for these Boxsters appears to be 18 more times than not over 17. If you also happen to have any recommended wheels, id be more than open to seeing what you would recommend.
Believe as you choose, but we have had to fail damaged tubs picked up during PPI's and state inspection reviews, and in the state my shop is in, a damaged tub means the car is technically "totaled" and cannot be returned to the road.

Porsche even had a TSB: TSB #4407, dated March 4, 1999: " Eighteen inch wheels are not approved for use on Boxsters. Use of eighteen inch wheels on Boxsters under severe conditions may result in structural failures of the body and/or suspension".

Last edited by JFP in PA; 08-19-2024 at 12:41 PM.
JFP in PA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2024, 12:35 PM   #7
Administrator

Hi Hamstuh!

Welcome to the forums! I did some searching and found a wheel picture thread that might be of use. The Turbo Twists are always a personal favorite of mine

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/66253-picture-wheels-you-have.html
Matt at Pelican Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2024, 12:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Believe as you choose, but we have had to fail damaged tubs picked up during PPI's and state inspection reviews, and in the state my shop is in, a damaged tub means the car is technically "totaled" and cannot be returned to the road.

Porsche even had a TSB: TSB #4407, dated March 4, 1999: " Eighteen inch wheels are not approved for use on Boxsters. Use of eighteen inch wheels on Boxsters under severe conditions may result in structural failures of the body and/or suspension".
I appreciate the detailed information! I really do want to make sure this car lasts as long as possible so i will stick with 17s and keep my search limited to that size. I might be relatively young for a 986 owner at 21 so im still new to ALL information regarding this car, but im doing my best to learn as much as i can so i appreciate any assistance!
Old 08-19-2024, 05:27 PM   #9

Garage
You will have cheaper tire options with 17s as well as a better ride. My 911 has 19s and I hate them.
There is no sidewall to absorb impacts from our perpetually terrible Illinois "roads."
Old 08-19-2024, 05:39 PM   #10

The 17 inch Sport Classic option is one of my favorite looks.
Worth the extra cleaning time.

/
Old 08-19-2024, 07:44 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnine11 View Post
The 17 inch Sport Classic option is one of my favorite looks.
Worth the extra cleaning time.

/
Overly fancy wheels put me off, but I do like these. A friend of mine has these on his Boxster and I appreciate them every time I see his car.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2024, 08:14 PM   #12

Plus, they are strong and reasonably light. (approx 20 lbs front, 21 lbs rear)
Old 08-19-2024, 08:39 PM   #13

Quote:

I figured id reply to you as you seem to be well informed. I found someone local selling these 17 inch 911 wheels that match the tire spec and lug pattern i have on my 99 boxster. Do you believe i should go with these or should i look elsewhere

Old 08-19-2024, 10:28 PM   #14

On the last pages there is a good overview about the genuine Porsche wheels, Dimensions and other hints.
I bought a set of Boxster S II wheels (17") in anthrazit yesterday, think they fit the car very well.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 986RäderFL.pdf (329.9 KB, 24 views)
997_986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2024, 05:23 AM   #15
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
A good reference: https://www.944racing.de/wheelweights.php

16" "Boxster" with extra tall tires.

16" "Boxster" on normal tires.

17" "Sport Classic" Are my favorite too.

Just say "No" to 20" wheels.

Old 08-20-2024, 06:29 AM   #16

Quote:
1. Tubs are exactly the same.

2. 18" became a regular factory option in 2001 and very late production 2000 cars after the factory tub modification. And no, we are unaware of telling when the modifications become standard as it was done during the production year, so unless you know for a fact that car was delivered with 18", putting them on a 2000 runs a risk.
JFP - Not questioning, but now puzzled.

In trying to find a copy of the noted TSB for reference, my search brought forth an old 2015 thread here on this same subject:

https://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/55502-1997-boxster-18-inch-rim-fitment-question.html

This old thread indicates that the reinforced tub came about in the year 1998 in lieu of the year 2000.

I also note that the owner's manual for my 2000 S clearly discusses both 17- and 18-inch wheels, so seemingly this would have been an option ordering box that could have been ticked back in that day.

That all being said, have you ever snapped a picture of a damaged tub? And is this entire issue more applicable for a raced / tracked car vs. one which is strictly street driven?

Thanks - DM
Dave80GTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2024, 06:54 AM   #17

I've been looking at the Cup II (993) wheels for mine, they're only a little wider and look great. If I had a little more money, I'd be looking at the Cup I (964) wheels, they're the same style as the ones on the Boxster concept car.

Cup II:

Cup II again:

Cup I:

This is the only picture of Cup I's I can find, I suspect it's because of their price/availability.
S50Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2024, 07:34 AM   #18

Quote:
The document I posted is clear:

The tenth digit of the 17-digit vehicle identification number indicates the model year,
z. For example, WP0ZZZ98ZVS600001:
V = 1997 W = 1998 X = 1999 Y = 2000 1 = 2001 2 = 2002 etc.

And further above the table with the 18” wheels:
18" only for vehicles from model year 1998 (W) onwards.

So if you find a "V" in your VIN as tenth digit you are not allowed to run 18". And keep in mind that you need to stick to the mentioned dimensions and hints of the tires for 18" rims to be on the save side even if you have a MY 1998 onward!
997_986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2024, 07:41 AM   #19

I knew i had it somewhere on my car, I did actually find this chart on my current 99 boxster.
Correct me if im wrong but would i be able to get 18s assuming they match that spec
provided?

Old 08-20-2024, 08:03 AM   #20

Quote:

In trying to find a copy of the noted TSB for reference, my search brought forth an old 2015 thread here on this same subject:

https://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/55502-1997-boxster-18-inch-rim-fitment-question.html

This old thread indicates that the reinforced tub came about in the year 1998 in lieu of the year 2000.

I also note that the owner's manual for my 2000 S clearly discusses both 17- and 18-inch wheels, so seemingly this would have been an option ordering box that could have been ticked back in that day.

That all being said, have you ever snapped a picture of a damaged tub? And is this entire issue more applicable for a raced / tracked car vs. one which is strictly street driven?

Thanks - DM
The copy of the TSB in our files is dated 1999 but maybe an updated version which is not uncommon in their TSB system, and we always discarded the outdated versions when the new ones came out.

To my knowledge, Porsche first acknowledged there was a problem sometime in 1998, which started the process to access it and determine an engineered fix for it. As it turned out, the best fix was to thicken the metal used in the tub bulkheads and suspension mounts to prevent the visible cracking that was the first signs of the problem. In order to do this, Porsche had to make several changes in their internal parts system, which took some time, and quite plainly they were not going to just throw out the thinner tubs after making the TSB known. The transition to the new tub started sometime in model years 1999-2000, and much like the single row/dual row IMS changeover, there was never a clear "de-embarkation" point such as a chassis number or production date, so some of the 2000 tubs were thicker metal, others were not.

When we became aware of the issue from the factory TSB, we began to take special steps when looking at pre 2001 cars. Because our state inspection permit requires us to examine critical suspension attachment points for rust out or other similar failures, and to report them to the state when we found them, we started using a crack detection penetrating fluid that was applied to the suspension mount areas of the early cars that would leave a stain if there was cracking, and we saw it on a couple of cars. During one PPI of an early Boxster, we found the entire rear bulkhead and suspension mount areas to be sprayed with an undercoating material that is not factory, and which the car owner would not allow us to scrape off to test. Suspecting something was amiss, we borrowed and ultra sonic testing device from a neighboring chassis fabrication shop and tested the metal around two of the rear suspension mounting points, both of which indicated the presence of cracking, so we told the prospective buy to walk away from the sale. We heard later that another shop passed the car for PPI for another potential buyer, but when the buyer took it to a dealer for state inspection, they also found the damage and failed the car, which resulted in an ugly lawsuit to get the original sell to buy back the car as the state pulled its registration for being unroadworthy.

As for photos of the type of damage you might find, yes we have copies of them in our computer files, but cannot release them to the public without the prior written approval of the persons that paid for the examination due to our state laws which say such materials are their property, not ours. This the exact reason why in many states, Porsche dealers will not release the service records for a vehicle.