Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2024, 08:18 AM   #21

This whole wheel thing seems, at least to me, as the automotive equivilent of a foot fetish. I'm happy with my 2000S just as it was born with 17" turbo twists but to each his own.

Larry (the Bald Eagle)

Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2024, 09:14 AM   #22

Based off the chart i provided not long ago with an 18 inch rim option. Would i be able to fit a
245 50 ZR18 on my 99 Boxster ? Im not sure of the limits themselves to what size i can actually use.
I dont use this car on tracks or racing etc so im not too concerned with a slight decrease in some turning performance
Hamstuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2024, 10:22 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
The copy of the TSB in our files is dated 1999 but maybe an updated version which is not uncommon in their TSB system, and we always discarded the outdated versions when the new ones came out.

To my knowledge, Porsche first acknowledged there was a problem sometime in 1998, which started the process to access it and determine an engineered fix for it. As it turned out, the best fix was to thicken the metal used in the tub bulkheads and suspension mounts to prevent the visible cracking that was the first signs of the problem. In order to do this, Porsche had to make several changes in their internal parts system, which took some time, and quite plainly they were not going to just throw out the thinner tubs after making the TSB known. The transition to the new tub started sometime in model years 1999-2000, and much like the single row/dual row IMS changeover, there was never a clear "de-embarkation" point such as a chassis number or production date, so some of the 2000 tubs were thicker metal, others were not.

When we became aware of the issue from the factory TSB, we began to take special steps when looking at pre 2001 cars. Because our state inspection permit requires us to examine critical suspension attachment points for rust out or other similar failures, and to report them to the state when we found them, we started using a crack detection penetrating fluid that was applied to the suspension mount areas of the early cars that would leave a stain if there was cracking, and we saw it on a couple of cars. During one PPI of an early Boxster, we found the entire rear bulkhead and suspension mount areas to be sprayed with an undercoating material that is not factory, and which the car owner would not allow us to scrape off to test. Suspecting something was amiss, we borrowed and ultra sonic testing device from a neighboring chassis fabrication shop and tested the metal around two of the rear suspension mounting points, both of which indicated the presence of cracking, so we told the prospective buy to walk away from the sale. We heard later that another shop passed the car for PPI for another potential buyer, but when the buyer took it to a dealer for state inspection, they also found the damage and failed the car, which resulted in an ugly lawsuit to get the original sell to buy back the car as the state pulled its registration for being unroadworthy.

As for photos of the type of damage you might find, yes we have copies of them in our computer files, but cannot release them to the public without the prior written approval of the persons that paid for the examination due to our state laws which say such materials are their property, not ours. This the exact reason why in many states, Porsche dealers will not release the service records for a vehicle.
Thank you for taking the time for your interesting (and insightful!) reply! - DM
Dave80GTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2024, 11:24 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamstuh View Post
Based off the chart i provided not long ago with an 18 inch rim option. Would i be able to fit a
245 50 ZR18 on my 99 Boxster ? Im not sure of the limits themselves to what size i can actually use.
I dont use this car on tracks or racing etc so im not too concerned with a slight decrease in some turning performance
I have no idea as the presence of a sticker of unknown date or origin does not confirm or deny if the tub is the later, reinforced design. And, as others have noted, 18- and 19-inch diameter tires are distinctly harder riding than 17 inches for everyday use. Your car, your money, your choice; but I get the impression this is a "bling" decision, not a performance related one....
Old 08-20-2024, 11:44 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
I have no idea as the presence of a sticker of unknown date or origin does not confirm or deny if the tub is the later, reinforced design. And, as others have noted, 18- and 19-inch diameter tires are distinctly harder riding than 17 inches for everyday use. Your car, your money, your choice; but I get the impression this is a "bling" decision, not a performance related one....
Ideally id like to get them for both performance AND looks. Which is why im completely open to any and all information. Ive kept my search limited to 17 inch rims, i just like to be THOROUGHLY informed on any matter so I know which routes are safe and not. I did also post some wheels even lower, locally, someone is selling that are 17 inch rims. Do you happen to know if those would be safe to buy ?
Old 08-20-2024, 11:48 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamstuh View Post
I did also post some wheels even lower, locally, someone is selling that are 17 inch rims. Do you happen to know if those would be safe to buy ?
There is no way for me to say without physically looking at the condition of the wheels in question. Used wheels are often a crap shoot because there is no way to remotely check them for concentricity, cracking, "road rash", etc.
Old 08-23-2024, 01:47 PM   #27

I had somehow acquired this in my list of model year differences "18” wheel option with rear chassis reinforced to accept new wheels. Rear body structural change included redesigned wheel wells and coil spring mounts, lower engine compartment bulkhead, rear wall crossmember and rear axle mount reinforcements." as a 1998 change.

Has anyone anything definitive that contradicts that date? I always assumed people were putting on bigger wheels and going racing and the defects showed so Porsche did an improvement but I don't know where I came up with the date as that was written years ago.
Old 08-27-2024, 07:06 AM   #28

"In 1998, Porsche added some reinforcement in the rear monocoque structure, which was supposedly required to allow running 18" wheels. Other than that there is absolutely no difference that I can tell in any 986 or 987 Boxster or Cayman suspension."

This was something i found randomly doin some digging, wonder if thats the case maybe it would be fine ? Im only stubborn with this topic bc it seems the market for porsche wheels are GREATLY higher in 18'' rims and im not a track driver so idc for small differences in performance from a 17 to an 18.
Old 08-28-2024, 09:16 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnine11 View Post
The 17 inch Sport Classic option is one of my favorite looks.
Worth the extra cleaning time.

/
love this setup. sport classic is THE best look these cars have had.
tough to find though. I'm eventually going this route myself.

serialize is offline   Reply With Quote