Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2019, 03:00 PM   #21
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by djw8282 View Post
Update:

I installed the slave cylinder (The nut that attaches the hydraulic line is 12 mm. This is frustrating in such a tight spot). Tuff install but can be done. Leverage is minimal. I felt like a weakling after getting the slave lined up and bolted down. Key (for me) is to put white lithium grease all over the bellows as well as the tip and mental/ physical strength :-)

Initially gears 2-6 went into gear very roughly then wouldn't engage thereafter. Again, the gears shifted fine with the car off. Obviously I'm not happy with the results. Anything else I can do or check before the clutch has to be inspected?? If anyone has any insight on what is occurring since the new slave cylinder didn't fix the problem it would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

What happens if you put it in second gear, start it with clutch depressed, then let off brake with clutch still depressed (on flat ground)?

Does the car try to creep forward at all (is the clutch grabbing at all with the pedal fully depressed, in gear and running)?

particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:54 AM   #22

Hey ianacole,

Thanks for the reply. Seems like the gears are locking in place as usual with the car off. I'm going to check the shift cables again. I did have an issue years ago when they were getting stuck but I think the clutch will have to be inspected at this point.
djw8282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:02 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
What happens if you put it in second gear, start it with clutch depressed, then let off brake with clutch still depressed (on flat ground)?

Does the car try to creep forward at all (is the clutch grabbing at all with the pedal fully depressed, in gear and running)?

Hey Particlewave, I appreciate the response.

From what I remember, yes the clutch is grabbing. I did start the car in first and second and the wheels would spin as I let off the clutch pedal. Right now the rear is on jack stands but I will try again when I get home from work. Again, thanks! If this is the case, what do you think?
Old 09-20-2019, 05:56 AM   #24
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I was wondering if the clutch was still grabbing a bit when the pedal was pressed all the way.

I’m think possibly pressure plate or cracked throwout fork.

See here: http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/55684-cracked-clutch-fork-replacement.html
Old 09-20-2019, 06:51 AM   #25

Hmm..That makes sense from the research that I've done. That thread is exactly what I needed to see. I've had this car since new and I've done a lot jobs but I wanted to get some feed back from the experts on the board. I appreciate it. The thing that kills me is I had a new clutch kit installed (I know that doesn't include the fork) so if it is the pressure plate, can this come from a defect of some sort??? It's fairly new. I know its not abuse. I haven't really been driving the car hard over the last few years. Maybe some red-lining but nothing harsh on the clutch. What do you think? I guess the only way to find out is open it up. I took a picture of the fork peaking through the hole where the slave is installed but can't uploaded it. I guess it still can be cracked though..
Old 09-20-2019, 07:30 AM   #26
Custom User Title Here

Garage
If the fork was never changed, it is definitely suspect. Cracked forks are a much bigger issue than a failed pressure plate (actually, I don’t think I’ve read of a failed pressure plate on a 986, other than surface wear).

There is a revised fork that replaced the earlier forks that were cracking, IIRC.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:33 AM   #27

I'm guessing its the fork. Car has 167k on the clock. I didn't realize the fork was a known issue. It wasn't suggested to change it when the clutch kit was installed. Not too happy about that as its an older car. Thanks particle and all others that help. I will follow up the thread after I get it to the shop.
Old 11-30-2020, 11:39 PM   #28

Hey Guys,

I just want to follow up on this post. The car was sitting for a while. Turns out the original slave master did fail and damage the inner release arm. The release arm was pressed in constantly and ruined the pressure plate. Parts replace: Release arm (upgraded 997 part), release spring, clutch pushrod, ball socket bushing, Sachs clutch kit. Oh and I replaced the slave master myself which didn't work obviously

Last edited by djw8282; 11-30-2020 at 11:42 PM.