Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2019, 09:09 AM   #1
Registered User
 
dmonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 4
Garage
Oil is pouring out..I need help finding the part

I have a 1998 Boxster. One night I go to start my car, and the oil is spraying on to the drive way. After lifting the car I can see exactly where it's coming from. I was told that i needed to order a new freeze plug or expansion plug. So it turns out that wasn't the correct part. I know I'm missing some sort of cap or plug I need help finding this part.
dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:46 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
I have a 1998 Boxster. One night I go to start my car, and the oil is spraying on to the drive way. After lifting the car I can see exactly where it's coming from. I was told that i needed to order a new freeze plug or expansion plug. So it turns out that wasn't the correct part. I know I'm missing some sort of cap or plug I need help finding this part.
Looks like you popped out one of the cam shaft end plugs. These are a plastic part that costs a couple of bucks at a dealer. Bigger question is why did the cam plug pop out, they don’t do that unless something else is wrong.........
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:11 PM   #3
1997 & 2009 S, PCA Zone 8
 
rexcramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Upland, CA
Posts: 954
Garage
Have you checked to see if you have oil in the coolant or vice versa? Do you have excessive smoke/steam coming out of the exhaust?
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:34 PM   #4
Registered User
 
dmonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 4
Garage
I haven't checked the oil or coolant and I didn't see smoke coming from the exhaust. Just oil spilling out the hole.
dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:57 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Cali
Posts: 21
AOS may be pressuring crankcase.
SlowernOlder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:21 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Stow, MA
Posts: 722
Garage
AOS can't pressurize the crank case. It uses vacuum to lower the crank case pressure.
__________________
2004 Boxster S Silver - FUNTOY
2002 Boxster Base Guardsy Red - FUNBOX
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
2015 Chevrolet Volt
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:12 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker View Post
AOS can't pressurize the crank case. It uses vacuum to lower the crank case pressure.
Correct, but if the AOS fails, blow by from the low tension piston rings will.
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:18 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 426
Mine popped out because I blocked an oil drain in the cam cover with sealant. I was replacing the solenoid on the right rear of the engine.

My guess would be that something is restricting the oil drain. Don't know about a bad AOS.

Sure does make a mess, tho.
__________________
2001 Boxster
2002 Prius
1996 Dodge Dakota 4wd
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:33 AM   #9
Registered User
 
BYprodriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: O.C. CA
Posts: 3,096
Garage
[QUOTE=dmonk;588792]I have a 1998 Boxster. One night I go to start my car, and the oil is spraying on to the drive way. After lifting the car I can see exactly where it's coming from. I was told that i needed to order a new freeze plug or expansion plug. So it turns out that wasn't the correct part. I know I'm missing some sort of cap or plug I need help finding this part.[/QUOTE


There is a good chance that you do need to replace the camshaft expansion plug in the end of the cam pointing toward your leak.

The cam/"valve"cover must come off to do this, to prevent this from happening again replace the oe plug with a pipe plug, 1/4" I think. This is a huge,"while you are in there" project so you may want to consider if you are "IN' for the long term or sell as-is now.
__________________
2000 S Speed YellowLN 3.6L cylinders & pistons, triple row IMSB upgrade, R&R connecting rods, billet tensioner paddle,oilpump driveshaft.Heads rebuilt by F6I with new valves & springs.Cayman airbox & MAF housing, 996 intake plenum & 75mm T/B. NHP sport converters &Dansk muffler
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:37 AM   #10
Registered User
 
BYprodriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: O.C. CA
Posts: 3,096
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
Mine popped out because I blocked an oil drain in the cam cover with sealant. I was replacing the solenoid on the right rear of the engine.

My guess would be that something is restricting the oil drain. Don't know about a bad AOS.

Sure does make a mess, tho.


This is one cause, sometimes it just comes out due to poor fitment from manufacturing.
__________________
2000 S Speed YellowLN 3.6L cylinders & pistons, triple row IMSB upgrade, R&R connecting rods, billet tensioner paddle,oilpump driveshaft.Heads rebuilt by F6I with new valves & springs.Cayman airbox & MAF housing, 996 intake plenum & 75mm T/B. NHP sport converters &Dansk muffler
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:43 PM   #11
Registered User
 
dmonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 4
Garage
Update

So thanks for helping me find the cam plug. So after installing my new cam plug, I let the car idle for about 5 minutes. Everything appeared normal. Then the rpms started to rise and idle around 2000 rpms. So I check under the car and the new cam plug blew out again. What is causing the plug to keep popping out?
dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:42 PM   #12
Who's askin'?
 
maytag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Utah
Posts: 830
You're building pressure in the crank case. Sounds like at least one of two things: failed AOS. Or, I've read about an oil return passage in the cam cover that gets blocked and causes the same thing.
Have you tried removing the oil fill cap while it was running? (Before the cam plug blew out? )

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:01 AM   #13
Registered User
 
dmonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 4
Garage
No, I haven't tried removing the cap while idling. So if my AOS has failed, shouldn't I have a check engine light or something?
dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:55 AM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
No, I haven't tried removing the cap while idling. So if my AOS has failed, shouldn't I have a check engine light or something?
Not necessarily. The optimum method to test the condition of the AOS is to use a digital manometer attached to an old oil fill cap. Warmed up, the system should read 5 inches of water or less; if it reads higher, or you read pressure, it is toast.
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:40 PM   #15
Who's askin'?
 
maytag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Utah
Posts: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Not necessarily. The optimum method to test the condition of the AOS is to use a digital manometer attached to an old oil fill cap. Warmed up, the system should read 5 inches of water or less; if it reads higher, or you read pressure, it is toast.
JFP, you've probably seen a bunch of these over the years, yeah? (I mean the cam plug popping out)
What's been the most common cause, in your experience?

If my opinion below was way off the mark, I won't be offended if you correct me, haha.


Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 04:25 AM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
JFP, you've probably seen a bunch of these over the years, yeah? (I mean the cam plug popping out)
What's been the most common cause, in your experience?

If my opinion below was way off the mark, I won't be offended if you correct me, haha.


Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
These pop out due to pressure problems, either from a build up of crankcase pressure due to the loss of vacuum from an AOS failure, or due to unusual oil movement caused by a blocked oil passage or having the cam end plug come out. In order of commonality, I would go with AOS failure first, oil passage blockage second, and the cam end plug last. Again, this is why you need the digital manometer, with the car idling and the plug installed, little or no vacuum in the crankcase, or pressure build up, would point to the AOS.
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:48 AM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Again, this is why you need the digital manometer, with the car idling and the plug installed, little or no vacuum in the crankcase, or pressure build up, would point to the AOS.
JFP,

Can the digital manometer I bought for the 987 Cayman be used on the 986 Boxter?

If I remembet correctly, for some reason I was not able to use it on someone's (cannot remember his name..) 986 when I help him to change the oil on his car
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:06 AM   #18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Clifton, NJ
Posts: 653
the sealant on the cam cover looks heavy and non OEM.

Have you had any engine work done recently?
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:46 AM   #19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
JFP,

Can the digital manometer I bought for the 987 Cayman be used on the 986 Boxter?

If I remembet correctly, for some reason I was not able to use it on someone's (cannot remember his name..) 986 when I help him to change the oil on his car
Sure, you could use it on any car, you just need to make sure the oil fill cap is the same, or like we do, have multiple cap "adaptors" for different cars.
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:47 AM   #20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
the sealant on the cam cover looks heavy and non OEM.

Have you had any engine work done recently?
We have seen worse than that from the factory...….
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page