Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2019, 09:09 AM   #1

Garage
Oil is pouring out..I need help finding the part

I have a 1998 Boxster. One night I go to start my car, and the oil is spraying on to the drive way. After lifting the car I can see exactly where it's coming from. I was told that i needed to order a new freeze plug or expansion plug. So it turns out that wasn't the correct part. I know I'm missing some sort of cap or plug I need help finding this part.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:46 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
I have a 1998 Boxster. One night I go to start my car, and the oil is spraying on to the drive way. After lifting the car I can see exactly where it's coming from. I was told that i needed to order a new freeze plug or expansion plug. So it turns out that wasn't the correct part. I know I'm missing some sort of cap or plug I need help finding this part.
Looks like you popped out one of the cam shaft end plugs. These are a plastic part that costs a couple of bucks at a dealer. Bigger question is why did the cam plug pop out, they don’t do that unless something else is wrong.........
Old 02-09-2019, 04:11 PM   #3
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Have you checked to see if you have oil in the coolant or vice versa? Do you have excessive smoke/steam coming out of the exhaust?
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:34 PM   #4

Garage
I haven't checked the oil or coolant and I didn't see smoke coming from the exhaust. Just oil spilling out the hole.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:57 PM   #5

AOS may be pressuring crankcase.
SlowernOlder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:21 AM   #6

Garage
AOS can't pressurize the crank case. It uses vacuum to lower the crank case pressure.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker View Post
AOS can't pressurize the crank case. It uses vacuum to lower the crank case pressure.
Correct, but if the AOS fails, blow by from the low tension piston rings will.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:18 AM   #8

Mine popped out because I blocked an oil drain in the cam cover with sealant. I was replacing the solenoid on the right rear of the engine.

My guess would be that something is restricting the oil drain. Don't know about a bad AOS.

Sure does make a mess, tho.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:33 AM   #9

Garage
[QUOTE=dmonk;588792]I have a 1998 Boxster. One night I go to start my car, and the oil is spraying on to the drive way. After lifting the car I can see exactly where it's coming from. I was told that i needed to order a new freeze plug or expansion plug. So it turns out that wasn't the correct part. I know I'm missing some sort of cap or plug I need help finding this part.[/QUOTE

There is a good chance that you do need to replace the camshaft expansion plug in the end of the cam pointing toward your leak.

The cam/"valve"cover must come off to do this, to prevent this from happening again replace the oe plug with a pipe plug, 1/4" I think. This is a huge,"while you are in there" project so you may want to consider if you are "IN' for the long term or sell as-is now.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:37 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
Mine popped out because I blocked an oil drain in the cam cover with sealant. I was replacing the solenoid on the right rear of the engine.

My guess would be that something is restricting the oil drain. Don't know about a bad AOS.

Sure does make a mess, tho.

This is one cause, sometimes it just comes out due to poor fitment from manufacturing.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:43 PM   #11

Garage
Update

So thanks for helping me find the cam plug. So after installing my new cam plug, I let the car idle for about 5 minutes. Everything appeared normal. Then the rpms started to rise and idle around 2000 rpms. So I check under the car and the new cam plug blew out again. What is causing the plug to keep popping out?
Old 02-27-2019, 08:42 PM   #12
Who's askin'?

You're building pressure in the crank case. Sounds like at least one of two things: failed AOS. Or, I've read about an oil return passage in the cam cover that gets blocked and causes the same thing.
Have you tried removing the oil fill cap while it was running? (Before the cam plug blew out? )

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:01 AM   #13

Garage
No, I haven't tried removing the cap while idling. So if my AOS has failed, shouldn't I have a check engine light or something?
Old 02-28-2019, 11:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
No, I haven't tried removing the cap while idling. So if my AOS has failed, shouldn't I have a check engine light or something?
Not necessarily. The optimum method to test the condition of the AOS is to use a digital manometer attached to an old oil fill cap. Warmed up, the system should read 5 inches of water or less; if it reads higher, or you read pressure, it is toast.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:40 PM   #15
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Not necessarily. The optimum method to test the condition of the AOS is to use a digital manometer attached to an old oil fill cap. Warmed up, the system should read 5 inches of water or less; if it reads higher, or you read pressure, it is toast.
JFP, you've probably seen a bunch of these over the years, yeah? (I mean the cam plug popping out)
What's been the most common cause, in your experience?

If my opinion below was way off the mark, I won't be offended if you correct me, haha.

maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 04:25 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
JFP, you've probably seen a bunch of these over the years, yeah? (I mean the cam plug popping out)
What's been the most common cause, in your experience?

If my opinion below was way off the mark, I won't be offended if you correct me, haha.

These pop out due to pressure problems, either from a build up of crankcase pressure due to the loss of vacuum from an AOS failure, or due to unusual oil movement caused by a blocked oil passage or having the cam end plug come out. In order of commonality, I would go with AOS failure first, oil passage blockage second, and the cam end plug last. Again, this is why you need the digital manometer, with the car idling and the plug installed, little or no vacuum in the crankcase, or pressure build up, would point to the AOS.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:48 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Again, this is why you need the digital manometer, with the car idling and the plug installed, little or no vacuum in the crankcase, or pressure build up, would point to the AOS.
JFP,

Can the digital manometer I bought for the 987 Cayman be used on the 986 Boxter?

If I remembet correctly, for some reason I was not able to use it on someone's (cannot remember his name..) 986 when I help him to change the oil on his car
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:06 AM   #18

the sealant on the cam cover looks heavy and non OEM.

Have you had any engine work done recently?
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:46 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
JFP,

Can the digital manometer I bought for the 987 Cayman be used on the 986 Boxter?

If I remembet correctly, for some reason I was not able to use it on someone's (cannot remember his name..) 986 when I help him to change the oil on his car
Sure, you could use it on any car, you just need to make sure the oil fill cap is the same, or like we do, have multiple cap "adaptors" for different cars.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:47 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
the sealant on the cam cover looks heavy and non OEM.

Have you had any engine work done recently?
We have seen worse than that from the factory...….