Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2019, 06:31 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Sure, you could use it on any car, you just need to make sure the oil fill cap is the same, or like we do, have multiple cap "adaptors" for different cars.
Thanks JFP it makes sense, I will buy a new oil cap for the 981 and make a new adapter.

Does the vacuum value (5" of water, or less) remains the same for the M97A1 engine as well? Thanks again!

Gilles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:38 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Thanks JFP it makes sense, I will buy a new oil cap for the 981 and make a new adapter.

Does the vacuum value (5" of water, or less) remains the same for the M97A1 engine as well? Thanks again!
Yes, they are pretty much the same. What you are looking for is the “steady state” (read fully warmed up engine) reading. Typically they run in the 4-5 inches of water range; anything above 6-7 is a failing AOS, and no vacuum or slight pressure is also a separate failure mode. This is why any serious “back yard” water cooled Porsche wrench should have one of these manometers, the test is a quick and deadly accurate diagnostic tool.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:46 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Yes, they are pretty much the same. What you are looking for is the “steady state” (read fully warmed up engine) reading. Typically they run in the 4-5 inches of water range; anything above 6-7 is a failing AOS, and no vacuum or slight pressure is also a separate failure mode. This is why any serious “back yard” water cooled Porsche wrench should have one of these manometers, the test is a quick and deadly accurate diagnostic tool.
Thank you!

I will get Luke a call o get the correct oil cap for the CS, just need to source the small nipple to connect the rubber hose to the oil cap
Gilles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:09 AM   #24

A couple of related posts with pics.

http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/70807-new-porsche-aos-reading-5-3-wc-opinions.html

http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/69866-if-ain%92t-broke-don%92t-fix.html
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:02 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Thank you!

I will get Luke a call o get the correct oil cap for the CS, just need to source the small nipple to connect the rubber hose to the oil cap
We buy small bulkhead fittings off Amazon that do the job.