Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2018, 12:07 PM   #21
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
My 2 cents on the issue , if you have a decent air compressor get a decent air driven gun . If you don't have a decent compressor get a corded gun . My last choice would be cordless and would look into Home Depot's house brand Rigid . I say that because they carry a lifetime warranty INCLUDING the batteries which in my opinion is huge......
As a guy who uses tools for a living, I'll suggest that cordless tool technology is at a point now where buying corded tools no longer makes sense. (In MOST cases). In some instances, the cost is still high, but if it's a tool you'll use often, don't waste your money on a corded tool, if you can find the features you want in a cordless.

BUT: DO NOT BUY CHEAP cordless tools. That's a recipe for disappointment and frustration. Stick to the major players: Milwaukee or DeWalt will always be at the top of that list. For wood-framing tools, Hitachi is right there with them.

FWIW: The Ridgid 18v 1/2" Impact gun is $149 and is rated at 450 ft./lbs of torque, where the Milwaukee 18v 1/2" gun is $249 and is rated at 1400 ft./lbs. (yes, you read that right) This is why I don't skimp on tools; you usually DO get what you pay for. There's nothing worse than buying a cheap tool with a "lifetime repair or replacement" warranty, only to have that tool be insufficient to the job, or break-down on you in the middle of a project on a Saturday evening at the racetrack. The BEST tool isn't the one with the lifetime warranty: it's the one that doesn't need it. But for the record: my Milwaukee vendor has ALWAYS done any necessary repairs / replacements of my tools at no charge. That's the best warranty I'll ever need.

maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:51 PM   #22
MWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
...DO NOT BUY CHEAP cordless tools. That's a recipe for disappointment and frustration...
Hallelujah on that! I've seen some really cheap crap, and often wondered "who would buy that?", but then realized that *someone* must be, and I instantly feel proactively sorry for them. My only hope is that the vast majorities of purchases are as Christmas gifts and are bought by people who have never held a tool in their life (hopefully also given to people who have also never held a tool).

With that being said, I guess that on occasion I have bought a tool at a "price point" because it is something that I might only use once...and ya know what? It was only used once because it either broke or got thrown away (or across the garage) because it wasn't even up to the "one-use" standard.

I firmly believe the best money spent is the money that is only spent once...now if I can just find a cordless tool (or more specifically, battery) that fits that description...
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:56 PM   #23
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWS View Post
...now if I can just find a cordless tool (or more specifically, battery) that fits that description...
I've begun to consider batteries as a consumable, like bits & blades (not as frequently, of course! haha)

There are usually enough promotions where a guy can buy batteries cheap, that I watch for those and pick up a couple whenever I can. I usually end up with an abundance of chargers, hahaha.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:39 PM   #24
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Thank you all for the great recommendations.

It appears that the Milwaukee 18V wins. Thank you.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:32 PM   #25

For pneumatics, I LOVED my ingersol rand, which I finally replaced after 20yrs. It was unstoppable.
Replaced it with a low profile AirCat - inexpensive, plenty of power, and can fit into tight spots.
https://www.amazon.com/AIRCAT-1055-TH-Compact-Impact-Small/dp/B00URRB9JW
Old 07-31-2018, 05:27 AM   #26

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Thank you all for the great recommendations.

It appears that the Milwaukee 18V wins. Thank you.
Smart choice you won't regret it.