Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2018, 03:37 PM   #1

eccentric bushings

anyone have any experience with eccentric bushings? might be a good way to get more negative camber with the oem lcas?

The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:06 PM   #2

found this, but oddly only for the rear toe arms, nothing for the control arms ...

https://www.elephantracing.com/993/rubber-bushings-for-993/rear-toe-control-arm-track-rod-eccentric-bushings/
Old 06-15-2018, 04:25 PM   #3

ah, ok - here we go ...

https://www.elephantracing.com/porsche/boxster-cayman/monoball-suspension-bearings-for-986-987/#front-lower-wishbone-control-arm-eccentric-monoballs

at $390 a pair, it's not a cheap mod.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:43 PM   #4

And they only fit Porsche/TRW arms, or aftermarket with the exact bushing diameters, Meyle has slightly larger and so these won't work with them.

I think powerflex makes an eccentric poly bushing... Much better pricing...

Edit: https://powerflexusa.com/porsche996fronttrackcontrolarminnerBushing-pff57-801-1-2.aspx

Not much better pricing
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
And they only fit Porsche/TRW arms, or aftermarket with the exact bushing diameters, Meyle has slightly larger and so these won't work with them.

I think powerflex makes an eccentric poly bushing... Much better pricing...

Edit: https://powerflexusa.com/porsche996fronttrackcontrolarminnerBushing-pff57-801-1-2.aspx

Not much better pricing
still $150 less - thanks for that find. i guess i was not aware of this because everybody says that the gt3 arms are the way to go. but for a street/track application all you really need is a little bit more, so something like this should do the trick. i'm currently around -2.8 at the front at m030 ride height, eccentrics full out and camber plates full in - how much more negative camber do you think 6mm will get me?

Last edited by The Radium King; 06-15-2018 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
still $150 less - thanks for that find. i guess i was not aware of this because everybody says that the gt3 arms are the way to go. but for a street/track application all you really need is a little bit more, so something like this should do the trick. i'm currently around -2.8 at the front at m030 ride height, eccentrics full out and camber plates full in - how much more negative camber do you think 6mm will get me?
I heard 10mm of shims on a GT3 arm gives an extra -1 degree of camber so I would guess that same ratio, if it is truly offset 6mm, then an extra -.6.

I have GT3 arms I got them used, but nowhere near $250, if it works for you it would be a good $$$ saver and a good alternate solution.

I'm at USA M030 height and running -3 front/-2.5 back and plan to stay there for a while, it seems to be a good match with the Hankook R-S4 I've been running.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:08 PM   #7

i have to pay more attention. first, no eccentric bolts on the front, just the rear. and the 6mm i was quoting was for the toe arms. elephant says to expect .39 increase in negative camber in the front.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:09 AM   #8

For that money, you could buy the elephant monoball camber plates that give an extra -2 and sell the ones you have now (Tarett? That give an extra -1) and make back most of the money?

It looks like a tough process to retrofit those bushings...
Old 06-16-2018, 01:51 PM   #9

i have the camber plates that come w the ksport coilovers. figure i get -1 from oem and -2 from the camber plates. elephant has a little tool to press the monoballs out - install can be done with control arms still on car (no messing w ball joints). another $75 however.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:00 PM   #10

I think The tool doesn't work on our LCA, I think rennline has a better video/instructions for LCA bushing replacement, you have to chisel.the two sides out after heating it up, it did not look like fun I had been emailing Chuck from elephant a while back about them when I needed more neg camber in back and was looking at those eccentric monoballs. Ultimately I ended up with adjustable control arms to get my extra -.6 of camber in back.

Ksports, those plates, I can see you getting -2 extra with them, they have quite a range.

If you dropped 5mm all the way around I bet you could get some extra neg camber from that, but if you have the car setup good otherwise I could understand if you didn't want to do that. When I had Ksports I had them way too low (it looked really good ) but handling took a hit. If I ever get adjustable coilovers again I would probably lower to row m030 height but no lower.

I have regular monoballs on my front LCA, I love it, especially when I do any suspension work because the arms drop right down and are not bound by the rubber bushing.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:42 PM   #11

hey - here's another foolish question - do they make a bushing or monoball or whatever for the chassis end of the thrust arm?
Old 07-31-2018, 04:58 AM   #12

I think EPS does one with a supposedly stiffer bushing or whatever there. reviews are inconsistent

https://www.europeanpartssolution.com/986-control-arms/

Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote