Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2018, 10:46 AM   #1
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Harbor Freight drill

Would this be something, along with the proper adapter(s) that I would want to use for removing/reinstalling bolts on the/a car?

https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-variable-speed-reversible-drill-60614.html

I've seen forum pics with a cordless being used. Would the cord be a yuuuuuge hassle?

Thoughts? Advice? Thank you.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:49 AM   #2

You want an impact wrench, pneumatic, corded or cordless. Cordless ones are these. But you still want a decent torque wrench to finish the final tightening to the proper torque.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:27 PM   #3
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
You want an impact wrench, pneumatic, corded or cordless. Cordless ones are these. But you still want a decent torque wrench to finish the final tightening to the proper torque.
Thank you. I've 3 torque wrenches, 2 of which are the clickers. So, set there.

Would you recommend the 1/4 or 1/2 inch? Would I be able to use an adapter with the quarter inch to run 1/2 inch sockets? I don't wrench enough to spend $100+ and was thinking of one of the less expensive models. Your opinion greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:41 PM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I went with the 1/2" impact and use adapters for 3/8" sockets when needed. I'd imagine 1/4" would be quite weak.
Go for the 1/2" or 3/8"...1/4" is tiny (you want an impact wrench, not a drill).

I bought mine almost 2 years ago (Harbor Freight, Chicago Electric, corded) and use it all the time. The cord is not inconvenient and it beats hassling with dead batteries.
Only use impact wrenches for loosening, not tightening, or you'll snap bolts.

Last edited by particlewave; 07-25-2018 at 03:47 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:08 PM   #5
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
I went with the 1/2" impact and use adapters for 3/8" sockets when needed. I'd imagine 1/4" would be quite weak.
Go for the 1/2" or 3/8"...1/4" is tiny (you want an impact wrench, not a drill).

I bought mine almost 2 years ago (Harbor Freight, Chicago Electric, corded) and use it all the time. The cord is not inconvenient and it beats hassling with dead batteries.
Only use impact wrenches for loosening, not tightening, or you'll snap bolts.

The 1/2 inch it shall be, thank you. The adapters are a few bucks.

Cheers!
Old 07-25-2018, 06:31 PM   #6

I bought a Lithium Ion Kpbalt 1/2" on sale (plus 10%off coupon) about 4-5 years ago for a little under $200......should have bought one years ago. The batteries last months and it has ample power for all the suspension work I've attempted.

I throw it it our car (whichever one) when we travel in case of a flat. Worth it's weight in gold as far as I'm concerned!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:45 PM   #7

I use my 3/8" cordless Makita drill to install bolts and nuts (and screws) with the adjustable torque setting feature turned up or down as appropriate, mainly because it's a lot faster than installing them by hand and it's also smaller, lighter, and easier to maneuver in tight places than a 1/2" model, corded or cordless. I then tighten the bolt or nut with a wrench or torque wrench.

But for removing bolts and nuts, especially ones that are old or corroded, an impact wrench is the way to go.
jdavis8361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 05:07 AM   #8

HF makes a 1/2 inch cordless impact: https://www.harborfreight.com/20v-hypermax-lithium-12-in-impact-wrench-tool-only-63629.html

I have a 1/2" pneumatic and I haven't used it in quite a while. It's easier just to get out a 1/2" breaker bar and a socket to get a wheel off, and there's not a lot else that I'd want to use an impact wrench on. Suspension parts, maybe? But a lot of those are going to be impossible to reach with an impact wrench.
"...the 928 is not a joy riding car; it's a tool, a road weapon designed to destroy distance and crush time."

Last edited by Shawn Stanford; 07-26-2018 at 05:11 AM.
Shawn Stanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 05:24 AM   #9

Garage
I bought a 1/2 Milwaukee 18 V High Torque Cordless Impact 3 years ago and the batteries last me for months and is very powerful. Depends on how much money you want to spend.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:51 PM   #10
Camibox

Garage
I love shopping at Harbor Freight but I would stay away from their brand drills, corded and non. Very weak. Went through a couple. I would only be tempted in the "Earthquake" models
Camibox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:34 PM   #11
Racer Boy

Habor Freight = Hazard Fraught
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:28 AM   #12

i have a 1/4 dewalt and 1/2 dewalt 20v and they are awesome. I use them to loosen and tighten nearly everything on the car and they are massive time savers. I have no interest in a compressor at this point.

Don't go cheap here. Buy good quality tools and they will last you for years.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
Habor Freight = Hazard Fraught
Cute!

I use a Hitachi 18 v. cordless impact driver. Made a commitment to Hitachi cordless years ago buying reciprocating saw, a circular saw, a drill and a bunch of flashlites--which make very good work lights. I have 2 chargers and about 6 batteries so I never get stalled doing a job. The 18v has good torque and a variable speed trigger so with a little finesse you can use it to reassemble stuff. Spare batteries are nice and fairly inexpensive. I use mine a lot and Hitachi stuff is excellent quality.

For heavier stuff like suspension parts, lug nuts, etc. I use a Harbor Freight Earthquake 1/2 inch drive air impact. It will loosen the most stubborn bolts or break them. For tighter spots, I use a 3/8 drive butterfly impact. Air ratchets are nice, too.

Use a torque wrench on you wheel lugs and on anything that calls for a specific torque.

Last edited by Brian in Tucson; 07-27-2018 at 06:43 AM.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camibox View Post
I love shopping at Harbor Freight but I would stay away from their brand drills, corded and non. Very weak. Went through a couple. I would only be tempted in the "Earthquake" models
I have an earthquake 1/2 drive air impact. It's very good, I've used ingersol rand, and it's at least as powerful as those..

I've had poor results with HF's lithium ion powered tools. The charger overcharges the batteries and destroy them pretty quickly. The tools are okay, but the battery system is sub par.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:08 AM   #15

The US General rolling red tool boxes are good and a great deal when they have their frequent sales. I have a Harbor Freight corded angle grinder which is great for the 1-2 times a year I use it. If you’re a home hobbyist, there are some things that are very good from Harbor Fraught and some that aren’t. The 1/4 inch drive deep sockets from their Pittsburgh brand work fine for me but may not in a shop where they see daily use. Anyone who makes a living with their tools should buy the best tools they can, they’ll be cheaper in the long run.
Old 07-28-2018, 09:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
The US General rolling red tool boxes are good and a great deal when they have their frequent sales. I have a Harbor Freight corded angle grinder which is great for the 1-2 times a year I use it. If you’re a home hobbyist, there are some things that are very good from Harbor Fraught and some that aren’t. The 1/4 inch drive deep sockets from their Pittsburgh brand work fine for me but may not in a shop where they see daily use. Anyone who makes a living with their tools should buy the best tools they can, they’ll be cheaper in the long run.
Harbor Freight has done so much to democratize tool ownership. I have tools that I'd never own if it weren't for HF. And their basic tools, like sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, and pliers, etc. are really more than we home users need. I' ve never broken a HF basic tool, and they are guaranteed for life. I have an HF angle grinder, bought it when my Black & Decker bit the dust. At $16, it's disposable. Same with their corded drills.

Gotta wonder how Mr. Trumps tariffs and the trade war are gonna affect tool prices. Craftsman is made in China now too!!
Old 07-28-2018, 12:49 PM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3230 View Post
I bought a 1/2 Milwaukee 18 V High Torque Cordless Impact 3 years ago and the batteries last me for months and is very powerful. Depends on how much money you want to spend.
+1 for Milwaukee tools, use them every day. But I must say my DeWalt 20v impact & drill is my best buy, I think I paid $139 for both with 2 batteries and charger. But as far as wrenching goes, nothing beats old school ratchets and sockets. Something about actually feeling a stubborn nut breaking loose with nothing but a wrench and man muscle.
IMHO, HF power tools have come a long way in the past 20 years, back then I wouldn't touch them, but today, especially with the warranty, you can't go wrong, until they do go wrong at the wrong time... which is why I have wrenches.
mgfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:28 AM   #18

My 2 cents on the issue , if you have a decent air compressor get a decent air driven gun . If you don't have a decent compressor get a corded gun . My last choice would be cordless and would look into Home Depot's house brand Rigid . I say that because they carry a lifetime warranty INCLUDING the batteries which in my opinion is huge . I recently purchased a kit at Fathers Day that had a cordless drill , a driver , charger and two batteries . Also received as a bonus pack two more batteries . Registered all online except the bonus pack batteries so I have lifetime warranty on all . The bonus pack batteries have a 3 year warranty .

The electrician that wired up my man cave garage turned me on to these , he's had them for several years and has had one battery and one finicky trigger switch replaced all for free . He said he gave away all his Dewalt cordless tools because of the Rigid warranty . I can see why he thinks that as I have dead Skil , Craftsman , Hitachi , Makita cordless tools that all need replacement batteries but the costs are stupid expensive
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:58 AM   #19
Racer Boy

I have an air compressor, and I only use it to inflate tires. After I got my cordless impact wrench years ago, I just never use the compressor since the cordless wrench is just so much less hassle (no wrestling with the air hoses), and it's portable. When I was racing, it was invaluable; I'm certain it is the best tool purchase I've ever made (closely followed by an aluminum racing jack).

When I got the compressor and air tools, I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread! Then I got the cordless tool, and I've never looked back.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
My 2 cents on the issue , if you have a decent air compressor get a decent air driven gun . If you don't have a decent compressor get a corded gun . My last choice would be cordless and would look into Home Depot's house brand Rigid . I say that because they carry a lifetime warranty INCLUDING the batteries which in my opinion is huge . I recently purchased a kit at Fathers Day that had a cordless drill , a driver , charger and two batteries . Also received as a bonus pack two more batteries . Registered all online except the bonus pack batteries so I have lifetime warranty on all . The bonus pack batteries have a 3 year warranty .

The electrician that wired up my man cave garage turned me on to these , he's had them for several years and has had one battery and one finicky trigger switch replaced all for free . He said he gave away all his Dewalt cordless tools because of the Rigid warranty . I can see why he thinks that as I have dead Skil , Craftsman , Hitachi , Makita cordless tools that all need replacement batteries but the costs are stupid expensive
My first "real" cordless tool was a DeWalt 12 volt drill/driver that I bought in 1997. A few years ago the batteries no longer held a charge for very long, and a pair of genuine DeWalt batteries would cost more than I originally paid for the drill, charger and 2 batteries that came with it. So I bought some no-name batteries for it on Amazon a few years ago and they have held up well so far.