Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2018, 04:11 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: So Cal
Posts: 240
Garage
Trip Meter and Clock Knobs INOP

My trip meter and clock knobs push and turn, but they do nothing. I can't change the clock or reset. Do I have to replace the entire instrument cluster, or can I open it up and see if a good cleaning could fix them?

mgfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:56 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,130
Maybe try disconnecting battery for a few minutes before digging in any further.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:00 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: So Cal
Posts: 240
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Maybe try disconnecting battery for a few minutes before digging in any further.
I usually disconnect the battery if I know the car is going to be sitting for a week or more, and this was one of those times. I reconnected the battery yesterday and tried to reset the clock, no joy. Same with trip.
mgfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:19 PM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker
 
78F350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,469
Garage
I just had an '04 instrument cluster apart. The levers contact micro switches internally. Small, but replaceable if you can solder. ...if that is in fact the problem.
Disassembly was fairly straightforward; small screws and gentle prying.
Here's the guide to remove the cluster: https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/90-ELEC-996_Cluster/90-ELEC-996_Cluster.htm
Be very careful removing the connectors on the back. They are likely to be brittle. I look in through the windshield to connect/disconnect them.
__________________
I am not an attorney, mechanic, or member of the clergy. Following any advice given in my posts is done at your own peril.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:55 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Wangta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: SF and LA, California
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgfranz View Post
My trip meter and clock knobs push and turn, but they do nothing. I can't change the clock or reset. Do I have to replace the entire instrument cluster, or can I open it up and see if a good cleaning could fix them?


Piggy backing on mgfranz - I accidentally broke off my trip knob yesterday with a clumsy swipe of my hand. Is it possible to buy a replacement knob? Hoping to god I donít have to buy the whole cluster (cuz that ainít gonna happen!)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
--
2001 Porsche Boxster S Tiptronic
Wangta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 03:04 AM   #6
Registered User
 
itsnotanova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bastrop, Tx
Posts: 2,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangta View Post
Piggy backing on mgfranz - I accidentally broke off my trip knob yesterday with a clumsy swipe of my hand. Is it possible to buy a replacement knob? Hoping to god I donít have to buy the whole cluster (cuz that ainít gonna happen!)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Depends on what year you have. The early clusters had the shafts soldered into the cluster but the later clusters had replaceable shafts. You have to take apart the cluster to replace them
__________________
Woody
itsnotanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 03:05 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Wangta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: SF and LA, California
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
Depends on what year you have. The early clusters had the shafts soldered into the cluster but the later clusters had replaceable shafts. You have to take apart the cluster to replace them

Gripes that doesnít sound good. I have a 2001. Do you have to have a EE degree?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
--
2001 Porsche Boxster S Tiptronic
Wangta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:50 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: So Cal
Posts: 240
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangta View Post
Gripes that doesnít sound good. I have a 2001. Do you have to have a EE degree?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My 01 has replaceable knobs, Google the parts catalog.
mgfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:16 AM   #9
Motorist & Coffee Drinker
 
78F350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,469
Garage
I have an '01 cluster I can pull apart at the office today. I'll get some pics of the disassembly. If you want parts, shoot me a low offer.
__________________
I am not an attorney, mechanic, or member of the clergy. Following any advice given in my posts is done at your own peril.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:21 AM   #10
Motorist & Coffee Drinker
 
78F350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,469
Garage
I just posted the pics in a DIY thread:
http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/70976-disassemble-instrument-cluster-2001-a.html#post562388
__________________
I am not an attorney, mechanic, or member of the clergy. Following any advice given in my posts is done at your own peril.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:40 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: So Cal
Posts: 240
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I have an '01 cluster I can pull apart at the office today. I'll get some pics of the disassembly. If you want parts, shoot me a low offer.
Thanks, I'll try getting into removal either this afternoon or tomorrow before the Clash.
mgfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:59 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Wangta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: SF and LA, California
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgfranz View Post
My 01 has replaceable knobs, Google the parts catalog.


Thank you mgfranz


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
--
2001 Porsche Boxster S Tiptronic
Wangta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:22 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: So Cal
Posts: 240
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangta View Post
Thank you mgfranz


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Part #996 641 911 00 $32 on eBay, https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Genuine-Porsche-996-Carrera-Boxster-Instrument-Cluster-Knob-Set-99-05/291923581823?hash=item43f8005b7f:g:O-sAAOSwUg9aciSj

Also, I removed and disassembled my gauge cluster this afternoon and scoped out all the switches/micro, found nothing out of spec. Only thing I found was a stray piece of black shinny plastic that looked like it was from a clip or bezel or something, but after spending about 30 min looking for anything broken and not finding anything, I gave the cluster a good cleaning, reassembled and all is well. Clock and trip knobs work as they should. So either the loose piece of plastic found it's way into the switch, or they just needed a quick cleaning.

Thanks to everyone who helped! Oh, and the emergency flasher connection/housing, not easy to disconnect... Patience and another beer.
mgfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:22 PM   #14
Custom User Title Here
 
particlewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 6,087
Garage
It was likely just the connectors on the rear. A lot of cluster issues can be resolved by simply disconnecting then reconnecting them.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:20 PM   #15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Evanston, IL
Posts: 71
Dim clock/oil level gauge issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
Depends on what year you have. The early clusters had the shafts soldered into the cluster but the later clusters had replaceable shafts. You have to take apart the cluster to replace them
Hello Woody (I'm writing to you here as my first attempt got bumped from your inbox)

Bought a 99 Boxster base a year ago. The whole time I've had it, the clock/oil level gauge has been extremely dim. You can see it only when you shine a flashlight at it, but it is working and accurate. Don't know if it can be brightened up (loose connection?) or if it can be replaced on its own. (I can't tell from the thread if the clock can be dealt with separately.)

Do you happen to have a clock? Or would I have to replace the whole cluster? Thanks.
MikeMcMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:56 PM   #16
Custom User Title Here
 
particlewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 6,087
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcMo View Post
Hello Woody (I'm writing to you here as my first attempt got bumped from your inbox)

Bought a 99 Boxster base a year ago. The whole time I've had it, the clock/oil level gauge has been extremely dim. You can see it only when you shine a flashlight at it, but it is working and accurate. Don't know if it can be brightened up (loose connection?) or if it can be replaced on its own. (I can't tell from the thread if the clock can be dealt with separately.)

Do you happen to have a clock? Or would I have to replace the whole cluster? Thanks.
Your bulb is burnt out. Put a new bulb in.

particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page