Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2018, 04:11 PM   #1

Garage
Trip Meter and Clock Knobs INOP

My trip meter and clock knobs push and turn, but they do nothing. I can't change the clock or reset. Do I have to replace the entire instrument cluster, or can I open it up and see if a good cleaning could fix them?

mgfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:56 PM   #2

Maybe try disconnecting battery for a few minutes before digging in any further.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:00 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Maybe try disconnecting battery for a few minutes before digging in any further.
I usually disconnect the battery if I know the car is going to be sitting for a week or more, and this was one of those times. I reconnected the battery yesterday and tried to reset the clock, no joy. Same with trip.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:19 PM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I just had an '04 instrument cluster apart. The levers contact micro switches internally. Small, but replaceable if you can solder. ...if that is in fact the problem.
Disassembly was fairly straightforward; small screws and gentle prying.
Here's the guide to remove the cluster: https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/90-ELEC-996_Cluster/90-ELEC-996_Cluster.htm
Be very careful removing the connectors on the back. They are likely to be brittle. I look in through the windshield to connect/disconnect them.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgfranz View Post
My trip meter and clock knobs push and turn, but they do nothing. I can't change the clock or reset. Do I have to replace the entire instrument cluster, or can I open it up and see if a good cleaning could fix them?

Piggy backing on mgfranz - I accidentally broke off my trip knob yesterday with a clumsy swipe of my hand. Is it possible to buy a replacement knob? Hoping to god I don’t have to buy the whole cluster (cuz that ain’t gonna happen!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2018, 03:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangta View Post
Piggy backing on mgfranz - I accidentally broke off my trip knob yesterday with a clumsy swipe of my hand. Is it possible to buy a replacement knob? Hoping to god I don’t have to buy the whole cluster (cuz that ain’t gonna happen!)

Depends on what year you have. The early clusters had the shafts soldered into the cluster but the later clusters had replaceable shafts. You have to take apart the cluster to replace them
Old 02-10-2018, 03:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
Depends on what year you have. The early clusters had the shafts soldered into the cluster but the later clusters had replaceable shafts. You have to take apart the cluster to replace them

Gripes that doesn’t sound good. I have a 2001. Do you have to have a EE degree?

Old 02-10-2018, 04:50 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Gripes that doesn’t sound good. I have a 2001. Do you have to have a EE degree?

My 01 has replaceable knobs, Google the parts catalog.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:16 AM   #9

Garage
I have an '01 cluster I can pull apart at the office today. I'll get some pics of the disassembly. If you want parts, shoot me a low offer.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:21 AM   #10

Garage
I just posted the pics in a DIY thread:
http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/70976-disassemble-instrument-cluster-2001-a.html#post562388
Old 02-10-2018, 08:40 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I have an '01 cluster I can pull apart at the office today. I'll get some pics of the disassembly. If you want parts, shoot me a low offer.
Thanks, I'll try getting into removal either this afternoon or tomorrow before the Clash.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgfranz View Post
My 01 has replaceable knobs, Google the parts catalog.

Thank you mgfranz

Old 02-10-2018, 04:22 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Thank you mgfranz

Part #996 641 911 00 $32 on eBay, https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Genuine-Porsche-996-Carrera-Boxster-Instrument-Cluster-Knob-Set-99-05/291923581823?hash=item43f8005b7f:g:O-sAAOSwUg9aciSj

Also, I removed and disassembled my gauge cluster this afternoon and scoped out all the switches/micro, found nothing out of spec. Only thing I found was a stray piece of black shinny plastic that looked like it was from a clip or bezel or something, but after spending about 30 min looking for anything broken and not finding anything, I gave the cluster a good cleaning, reassembled and all is well. Clock and trip knobs work as they should. So either the loose piece of plastic found it's way into the switch, or they just needed a quick cleaning.

Thanks to everyone who helped! Oh, and the emergency flasher connection/housing, not easy to disconnect... Patience and another beer.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:22 PM   #14
Custom User Title Here

Garage
It was likely just the connectors on the rear. A lot of cluster issues can be resolved by simply disconnecting then reconnecting them.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:20 PM   #15

Garage
Dim clock/oil level gauge issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
Hello Woody (I'm writing to you here as my first attempt got bumped from your inbox)

Bought a 99 Boxster base a year ago. The whole time I've had it, the clock/oil level gauge has been extremely dim. You can see it only when you shine a flashlight at it, but it is working and accurate. Don't know if it can be brightened up (loose connection?) or if it can be replaced on its own. (I can't tell from the thread if the clock can be dealt with separately.)

Do you happen to have a clock? Or would I have to replace the whole cluster? Thanks.
MikeMcMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:56 PM   #16
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcMo View Post
Hello Woody (I'm writing to you here as my first attempt got bumped from your inbox)

Bought a 99 Boxster base a year ago. The whole time I've had it, the clock/oil level gauge has been extremely dim. You can see it only when you shine a flashlight at it, but it is working and accurate. Don't know if it can be brightened up (loose connection?) or if it can be replaced on its own. (I can't tell from the thread if the clock can be dealt with separately.)

Do you happen to have a clock? Or would I have to replace the whole cluster? Thanks.
Your bulb is burnt out. Put a new bulb in.

particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote