986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Trip Meter and Clock Knobs INOP (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70970)

mgfranz 02-09-2018 04:11 PM

Trip Meter and Clock Knobs INOP

My trip meter and clock knobs push and turn, but they do nothing. I can't change the clock or reset. Do I have to replace the entire instrument cluster, or can I open it up and see if a good cleaning could fix them?

dghii 02-09-2018 05:56 PM

Maybe try disconnecting battery for a few minutes before digging in any further.

mgfranz 02-09-2018 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dghii (Post 562343)
Maybe try disconnecting battery for a few minutes before digging in any further.

I usually disconnect the battery if I know the car is going to be sitting for a week or more, and this was one of those times. I reconnected the battery yesterday and tried to reset the clock, no joy. Same with trip.

78F350 02-09-2018 06:19 PM

I just had an '04 instrument cluster apart. The levers contact micro switches internally. Small, but replaceable if you can solder. ...if that is in fact the problem.
Disassembly was fairly straightforward; small screws and gentle prying.
Here's the guide to remove the cluster: https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/90-ELEC-996_Cluster/90-ELEC-996_Cluster.htm
Be very careful removing the connectors on the back. They are likely to be brittle. I look in through the windshield to connect/disconnect them.

Wangta 02-09-2018 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgfranz (Post 562341)
My trip meter and clock knobs push and turn, but they do nothing. I can't change the clock or reset. Do I have to replace the entire instrument cluster, or can I open it up and see if a good cleaning could fix them?

Piggy backing on mgfranz - I accidentally broke off my trip knob yesterday with a clumsy swipe of my hand. Is it possible to buy a replacement knob? Hoping to god I don’t have to buy the whole cluster (cuz that ain’t gonna happen!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

itsnotanova 02-10-2018 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wangta (Post 562361)
Piggy backing on mgfranz - I accidentally broke off my trip knob yesterday with a clumsy swipe of my hand. Is it possible to buy a replacement knob? Hoping to god I don’t have to buy the whole cluster (cuz that ain’t gonna happen!)

Depends on what year you have. The early clusters had the shafts soldered into the cluster but the later clusters had replaceable shafts. You have to take apart the cluster to replace them

Wangta 02-10-2018 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsnotanova (Post 562371)
Depends on what year you have. The early clusters had the shafts soldered into the cluster but the later clusters had replaceable shafts. You have to take apart the cluster to replace them

Gripes that doesn’t sound good. I have a 2001. Do you have to have a EE degree?

mgfranz 02-10-2018 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wangta (Post 562372)
Gripes that doesn’t sound good. I have a 2001. Do you have to have a EE degree?

My 01 has replaceable knobs, Google the parts catalog.

78F350 02-10-2018 05:16 AM

I have an '01 cluster I can pull apart at the office today. I'll get some pics of the disassembly. If you want parts, shoot me a low offer.

78F350 02-10-2018 07:21 AM

I just posted the pics in a DIY thread:
http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/70976-disassemble-instrument-cluster-2001-a.html#post562388

mgfranz 02-10-2018 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 78F350 (Post 562379)
I have an '01 cluster I can pull apart at the office today. I'll get some pics of the disassembly. If you want parts, shoot me a low offer.

Thanks, I'll try getting into removal either this afternoon or tomorrow before the Clash.

Wangta 02-10-2018 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgfranz (Post 562377)
My 01 has replaceable knobs, Google the parts catalog.

Thank you mgfranz

mgfranz 02-10-2018 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wangta (Post 562404)
Thank you mgfranz

Part #996 641 911 00 $32 on eBay, https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Genuine-Porsche-996-Carrera-Boxster-Instrument-Cluster-Knob-Set-99-05/291923581823?hash=item43f8005b7f:g:O-sAAOSwUg9aciSj

Also, I removed and disassembled my gauge cluster this afternoon and scoped out all the switches/micro, found nothing out of spec. Only thing I found was a stray piece of black shinny plastic that looked like it was from a clip or bezel or something, but after spending about 30 min looking for anything broken and not finding anything, I gave the cluster a good cleaning, reassembled and all is well. Clock and trip knobs work as they should. So either the loose piece of plastic found it's way into the switch, or they just needed a quick cleaning.

Thanks to everyone who helped! Oh, and the emergency flasher connection/housing, not easy to disconnect... Patience and another beer. :cheers:

particlewave 02-11-2018 11:22 PM

It was likely just the connectors on the rear. A lot of cluster issues can be resolved by simply disconnecting then reconnecting them. ;)

MikeMcMo 04-13-2018 07:20 PM

Dim clock/oil level gauge issue

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsnotanova (Post 562371)

Hello Woody (I'm writing to you here as my first attempt got bumped from your inbox)

Bought a 99 Boxster base a year ago. The whole time I've had it, the clock/oil level gauge has been extremely dim. You can see it only when you shine a flashlight at it, but it is working and accurate. Don't know if it can be brightened up (loose connection?) or if it can be replaced on its own. (I can't tell from the thread if the clock can be dealt with separately.)

Do you happen to have a clock? Or would I have to replace the whole cluster? Thanks.

particlewave 04-13-2018 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeMcMo (Post 567862)
Hello Woody (I'm writing to you here as my first attempt got bumped from your inbox)

Bought a 99 Boxster base a year ago. The whole time I've had it, the clock/oil level gauge has been extremely dim. You can see it only when you shine a flashlight at it, but it is working and accurate. Don't know if it can be brightened up (loose connection?) or if it can be replaced on its own. (I can't tell from the thread if the clock can be dealt with separately.)

Do you happen to have a clock? Or would I have to replace the whole cluster? Thanks.

Your bulb is burnt out. Put a new bulb in. ;)