Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2017, 01:07 AM   #1

If it ain't broke...

I was curious as to everyone's thoughts here. This goes for not only Porsche, but all cars. I am a firm believer of the "if it ain't broke, don't ix it" philosophy. However, I do my routine maintenance. (oil changes, tire rotations, etc.)
My 2004 base is due for brake fluid change, mtf change, spark plugs, etc. The car is running great and I'm a little concered that my good intentions may cause a problem to pop us somewhere.
Am I being paranoid? Anyone else share my concerns?

I_like_tacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:20 AM   #2

Sorry, you're scared doing routine maintenance will make other problems appear?
That986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:36 AM   #3

I guess so. I'm wonering if the benifits outweigh the risks. For example, bleeding the brakes and accidently trapping air in the system. I've been doing my own work for years and have faith in my mechanical abilities, however sometimes things just break when you touch them. Especially on a 14 year old car. (though maybe the age of the vehicle is exactly why I should do the scheduled maint)
Old 10-11-2017, 02:59 AM   #4

You need to chill out a bit and stop worrying so much.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:25 AM   #5

haha. Maybe you're right.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:31 AM   #6

I get your concern. Things break that weren't even a consideration at the beginning of the project. Example, bolt snapping. I will still plow ahead though.
DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:56 AM   #7
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I broke a jammed brake bleeder valve when I serviced the brakes on an old BMW. It sucked and for a moment I wished I had never started the job. However, waiting another year would not have made it any better and the brakes need to be flushed. If it had been done regularly over the years, it probably wouldn't have broke.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:06 AM   #8
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
If t ain't broke ... Then it probably will later. It's just a matter of when most of the time rather than if and estimating how long you can go before replacement.

Also if it ain't broke ... It might be pretty worn out and give resulting in a below par car. This is especially true for suspension. The parts rarely get to a failure point where the car is undriveable but you can be driving a worn out car for a long time as worn parts don't necessarily stop the thing moving.

For me all this means replacing parts that are not broken. A Porsche is about great handling and breaking not mediocre handling and braking.
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by edc View Post
If t ain't broke ... Then it probably will later. It's just a matter of when most of the time rather than if and estimating how long you can go before replacement.

Also if it ain't broke ... It might be pretty worn out and give resulting in a below par car. This is especially true for suspension. The parts rarely get to a failure point where the car is undriveable but you can be driving a worn out car for a long time as worn parts don't necessarily stop the thing moving.

For me all this means replacing parts that are not broken. A Porsche is about great handling and breaking not mediocre handling and braking.
Bloody hell, make the man more paranoid why don't you?
Old 10-11-2017, 07:37 AM   #10

I'm a bit concerned about changing the spark plugs this winter while the car is "mothballed".
It only has 42k miles but it's a 2004 and may NEVER have had plugs changed!
Fear #1- plugs have seized in aluminum threads
Fear #2- cause oil leak while I'm beating on recalcitrant plugs
Fear #3- what Porsche dealer will charge to do it for me
newcider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:38 AM   #11

When dealing with bolts and nuts on older cars, it's always a good practice to shoot them the day before with your favorite penetrating oil so it has some time to do its work.

If you don't have a favorite, Kroil is very good.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:46 AM   #12

To the OP:
I truly understand your concerns but changing fluids is something that will help give your car a very long life. Follow the maintenance schedule....MTF at 90K, Brake fluid every 2 years. Add in doing the coolant (I choose 60K miles). These cars are very straight forward to work on. Thing is, by doing the preventative maintenance, you might head off other things.

Example: You may want to do your WP and thermostat when you decide to change coolant. When I did the WP, I pulled my motor mount and inspected for cracks. When you're under the car, you can look for things like CV boot cracks and leaks. When doing brakes, you can inspect suspension and steering components for wear. It give you a chance to do things on your time, get good advice on the repairs and shop for deals on parts.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:04 PM   #13

I appreciate everyone's input. Glad I'm not alone with these concerns. However, I suppose I'll just have to do the maintenance and take any problems as they come. Maybe I'll pick up the service manual. Thanks again everyone!
Old 10-11-2017, 12:47 PM   #14

I just replaced the original plugs in my 2003. That made a big difference on how the car runs. The plugs were shot to say the least. I would change them if I were you. It is not that big of a job.
xzyfsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:51 PM   #15

Get a Motive Power Bleeder for the brake lines. It makes bleeding the brake lines super easy to do by yourself.

And if you're changing the water pump and thermostat and the coolant, you're right there to change the front motor mount.

Ah what a slippery slope this maintenance thing is!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:54 PM   #16
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzyfsk View Post
I just replaced the original plugs in my 2003. That made a big difference on how the car runs. The plugs were shot to say the least. I would change them if I were you. It is not that big of a job.
+1 on changing plugs at 60K miles
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:02 PM   #17

At this point, one of the things that makes me hesitant to purchase a newer used car it that I know what I've done (and not done) to mine. Gotta be worth something!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:26 PM   #18
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
When dealing with bolts and nuts on older cars, it's always a good practice to shoot them the day before with your favorite penetrating oil so it has some time to do its work.

If you don't have a favorite, Kroil is very good.
+1 - And more time sitting with penetrating oil is better. Several days with several applications and it will seep into the threads.