Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2006, 12:30 PM   #61

Must have been a rookie camera......LOL

I recently got stopped by an unmarked state trooper. We agreed I was speeding but that it wasn't reckless given the conditions and he let me go with a warning. We talked about the Porsche and his Vette for awhile and then we parted company. A camera can't do that......

Most veteran cops will agree that speeding itself is not de facto dangerous, provided the conditions are proper. Cell phones are an exponentially greater risk factor than mere speeding. I can honestly say I have never felt threatened by a speeder. But I have sure been threatened by bozo's who cut me off, turn without signalling, drift into my lane, etc. I advocate speeding when conditions are clear. At any given time on the interstates around here 90% of the vehicles are traveling 10mph over the limit. I try to stay in the bell curve.

Old 07-21-2006, 12:51 PM   #62

Who knew this would be such a passionate thread?

What's so very fascinating to me is the hard line attitude by some here of "don't do the crime if you can't do the time" (for speeding). This, irregardless of the fact that most speed limits are completely arbitrary. Roads that used to be 75 mph moved to 55 mph and then up to 85 mph. It wasn't a crime, then it was, oops - now it's not - again.

So the radar trap Rail26 got nailed in slowed down traffic for that area. Whoopdy-doo! Did it make that stretch safer? Was it unsafe to begin with? Is the speed limit for that area even appropriate? Who cares? As long as they're raking in the money..... Radar traps remind me of the "fines doubled" through road construction - despite there being no road construction. Or getting nailed in a school zone during summer. Just a great way to make some revenue without regard for whether it really makes the world a safer place. I agree that the government may deny that it's all about revenue - but well - it's all about the revenue.

As such, by no stretch of the imagination do I consider myself a criminal if I get a ticket nor do I believe that speeding is in and of itself immoral. Driving at speeds unsafe for the conditions is criminal....

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
Old 07-21-2006, 01:25 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpete
So the radar trap Rail26 got nailed in slowed down traffic for that area. Whoopdy-doo! Did it make that stretch safer?
Probably, because Rail and everyone else who got a ticket will slow down through there in the future.

Was it unsafe to begin with?
Probably. That's why out of all the possible locations, it was chosen for a speed device.

Is the speed limit for that area even appropriate?
Probably, as calculated by the traffic engineers who determined the speed limit in the first place, based on the relevent data.

Who cares?
The mother of the kid on the tricycle.

As such, by no stretch of the imagination do I consider myself a criminal if I get a ticket nor do I believe that speeding is in and of itself immoral. Driving at speeds unsafe for the conditions is criminal....
What you consider yourself is really of little consequence. ..and, I never said that any of you were immoral people. I believe just the opposite. I thorougly enjoy every one of you. I just think when we're caught, we're caught.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:40 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
What you consider yourself is really of little consequence.
Okaaaay. I've just deleted about 15 responses to that comment. So I'm just going to move on.

Of course you're assuming that speeding in that area is a concern. In my experience, that generally has nothing to do with it. I watch the cops set up a speed trap outside of my office window around once a week. And, I have to tell you, they ain't going all that fast out there. But, the location does have a good feature which is that you can't see the cops but they can see you.

You really think that traffic engineers set the speeds for most roads? They're typically mandated by area. Hell, the cops don't even obey most of the speed limits. Which has got to tell you that the arbitrary limit for that area is too low.

"The mother of the kid on the tricycle"? Nice. If that kid's on a tricycle on the highway then it ain't me who should be getting a ticket. And, I already stated that I do believe it's criminal to drive at unsafe speeds for the conditions - that most certainly includes down residential streets...

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
Old 07-21-2006, 02:12 PM   #65

Smile

"As such, by no stretch of the imagination do I consider myself a criminal if I get a ticket nor do I believe that speeding is in and of itself immoral"

Well, we will leave the morality out of it, as some here have left the logic out of it.

However, depending on the locality, the law considers you a criminal and in the end, they get to decide, don't they!

Old 07-21-2006, 02:15 PM   #66

"And, I already stated that I do believe it's criminal to drive at unsafe speeds for the conditions - that most certainly includes down residential streets...
"

And therein lies the gist of the matter. It seems that YOU would decide what is safe or unsafe. Sadly for you, that matter does not rest with you, but with the locality's governing body. Then of course, the police enforce that set of regs.

That is the way we do it these days you know!

Old 07-21-2006, 02:32 PM   #67

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Be thankful you werent Hammered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail26
There I was...minding my own business driving down loop 101 in Scotsdale after visiting the Porsche dealer and buying some goodies. Two weeks later (tonight) I get a nice little letter in the mail with a sweet looking Porsche and my smiling mug in the picture. It was a ticket for 78 in a 65. Apparently, Scotsdale has sensors in the road that trigger if you are going too fast and set off a camera. There is no warning or signs. What kind of crap is that? Where is the game? Where is the state patrol with radar gun mono y mono of the old days? This is like deer hunting with a high powered rifle....157 clam ticket. Was I speeding yes? Was this a fair way to catch me? NO!
Old 07-21-2006, 02:34 PM   #68

Smile

"Was this a fair way to catch me? NO!"

Where is it written that the police have to be fair in making an arrest or issuing a citation?

They do however, have to follow due process.

Old 07-21-2006, 03:29 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpete
Okaaaay. I've just deleted about 15 responses to that comment. So I'm just going to move on.
Pete,

I only meant that in the instance of being caught speeding what you considered yourself was of little consequence (That is what we were talking about). What the governing jurisdiction considers you is the only thing that matters in the instance of being caught breaking a law of that jurisdiction. I wasn't attempting to make a blanket statement.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:32 PM   #70

theres that little law that says when a police officer is going to bust you for speeding, they cannot be camoflauged...they have to be in view of the approching vehicle that is being watched by the PD. Its along the lines of intrapment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
"Was this a fair way to catch me? NO!"

Where is it written that the police have to be fair in making an arrest or issuing a citation?

They do however, have to follow due process.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:38 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
theres that little law that says when a police officer is going to bust you for speeding, they cannot be camoflauged...they have to be in view of the approching vehicle that is being watched by the PD. Its along the lines of intrapment

Sorry dude...no such law.

Somehow, I've contracted a headache. I can't imagine how. I'm going to take two Tylenol. Why two? Well, because that's what the sign on the bottle says. You guys in Anarchyville take as many as you deem appropriate...12, 14, whatever.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:40 PM   #72

LOL well its good to not speed anyways, lol.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:27 PM   #73

I just finished up my defensive driving course. They had it at a comedy club and the guy giving the class was hilarious! I was sitting next to a lady that was laughing so hard she farted. I don't mean a little one cheek sneak...I'm talking full on "the cruise ship is ready to dock" fart. I was laughing so hard I started crying...it was the best 75 clams I ever spent. I erased the ticket and my insurance actually went down 5%.

I can't believe I started this debate. I am going to no longer check this post. Just to clear up the air, I got caught speeding. Oh well. I wasn't speeding in a school zone, squirrel crossing, tricycle zone or any other wacky stuff you all were talking about. I was on a loop in the middle of the desert outside of Phoenix on a Sunday morning. I was just ticked that there was no sign...yeah yeah...speed limits signs were posted, but in Europe and Korea there are camera signs. Once I again I got caught...I speed and I pay the consequences. I don't think I am a turd or a criminal or a irresponsible person or whatever else was said. I had fun cruising at a responsible speed and will continue my love affair with this amazing vehicle. I will see you hallway monitors in traffic court.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Old 07-21-2006, 05:08 PM   #74

Hallway Monitors...
Old 07-21-2006, 05:14 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Well, we will leave the morality out of it, as some here have left the logic out of it.
Now now, play nice Bruce. I see logic everywhere here. What I don't see is agreement, or people really trying to listen to each other.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:18 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
Hallway Monitors...
Yeah, but he got called turd...
Old 07-21-2006, 06:17 PM   #77

here's why we cant "speed"

1. our govy makes too much money on tickets
2. us Americans (as much as i love being one) don't know what the second lane left hand side is actually there for

The country where our cars where made have less accidents per capita, and a higher speed limit. Why?

1. they actually require that you be "able" to drive in order to get your license
2. halting traffic in the fast lane is just as severe of a violation than speeding is
3. they take driving more seriously, like an artform. not many cars there have biggie supersized cupholders so you can eat your big mac meal deal while driving
4. they drive Porsches!!!

I think driving slow is a bigger hazard than speeding (except the fact that i need to look behind every tree for a pig when doing 110). If i'm not concentrating on driving, then I'm drinking my cofee, reading the news paper, and talking on my cell. What the hell else is suppose to occupy me going while going 65 or 25 mph?
Just don't speed in the rain!!!!!!! (i wouldn't know anything about that :-) but i hear that it is DAMN dangerous)
Old 07-21-2006, 06:32 PM   #78

Smile

I" don't think I am a turd or a criminal or a irresponsible person or whatever else was said. "

I would agree with this statement.

Closed Thread