Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2006, 08:09 AM   #21
boggtown

But someone just said its not radar... Its piezzo electric fibers embeded in 2 slabs of concrete. It basically counts the time you go between plates and lets say in the easiest possible scenario the plates are 30 miles apart and it takes you 30 minutes, thats 60mph, but in reality they are only like 10 feet apart or something.

Old 07-20-2006, 08:17 AM   #22

funny I've been driving cautiously since I have been without my lazer detection for a few days after the clip broke holding my v1 to the windshield. The K and Ka still work though.

these speed sensor things are all over Europe. I think Austria has really cracked down Road & Track attempted a road test and said the speed sensing cameras prevented them from going all out on a nice twisty road with one car.

I kind of like this concept. If you are going to sincerely try and get people to drive slower then this is the way. Setting an artificialy high speed limit and then arbitrarily picking people off never gets anything accomplished. People keep on doing 90mph in minivans. It's a very flagrant cover to just rake in more municipal funds.

yeah always fight your tickets. I've done it many many times. They don't even put up a fight just ask me for more dough and tell me they'll drop the points. SOLD.

now where to get that license plate spray...
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Old 07-20-2006, 08:27 AM   #23

My two cents:

1. I was speeding...I got caught. I just think I should be caught by a cop sitting there on the side of the road and face the whole accuser thing.

2. I have a good radar detector. This thing does not work on radar.

3. With no signs being posted....what if I drove that road for two weeks straight and didn't get any tickets because I don't live there and when I get home there is 14 speeding tickets waiting for me?

4. Finallly, I got caught. In reality, all I have to do is take a class and it gets expunged, I don't have to pay the ticket and my insurance even goes down. I just don't like being caught by a box with no warning. I also think deer hunting should be accomplished with bare hands...give the hunted a chance.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Old 07-20-2006, 10:11 AM   #24

Mnboxster,

Im not sure how to quote your statements but, I dont believe a photo speed enforcement system makes a cops life any easier. As a matter of fact I know quite a few that absolutely cant stand that system. Its stupid comments like "so they can get to a donut shop an hour earlier" that just irritate me to no end. You have TRULY shown your ignorance and I will refrain from responding to your replys on this topic.
You said,"I did sucessfully argue two of them in court though." and you have no idea how radar works? Flag on the play Jim.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:13 AM   #25

Not sure if this will work or not, as I've never tried it and don't know anyone who has. I seem to recall, from law school, something about being able to beat any photo-ticket under the "confrontation clause" of the federal constitution. generally, you have the right to confront (cross examine) witness against you and since you can't cross examine a camera, the evidence should be OUT.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:28 AM   #26

In Ohio its considered a civil matter, if you dont pay it you dont get points on your license but it will go on your credit report as an unpaid bill. I should add if you dont pay it. Its pretty new here and Im not sure if anyone has tried to fight it to date. I would have to say the therory of not being able to cross examine a camera would be incorrect. Im sure there is records you could subpoena regarding the calibration of the equip.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:31 AM   #27

I'm with Jim on this one. Bruce, your logic basically amounts to "the ends justifies the means". You were breaking the law, so who cares how they caught you!

That opens FAR too many doors.

But, one thing I can say is that if there's no one manning these things, then there's no one to write me up for having a device that defeats it. I'm sure there will be a market for that soon enough. No technology is bulletproof.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:10 AM   #28

Nice try Jim, trying to tie this to Freedom and Liberty!

Hey, you are talking to a genuine LIBERTARIAN.

Having said that, it is an established fact that driving is NOT a right, but a privledge, said privledge being withheld for all sorts of reasons.

So, if in fact, businesses can sell us all kinds of gizmos to try and avoid a speeding ticket, do you then believe that the police cannot follow suit in order to legally give a ticket to my sorry ass as I knowingly break the law?

C'mon guys, this is not a libertarian issue, you just don't like getting caught and you should just fess up and say so. This "facing our accuser crap is funny I think!"

BTW-

I do NOT have a radar detector and have not had a speeding ticket since 1970.

Hey, how do I do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-20-2006, 11:14 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
I'm with Jim on this one. Bruce, your logic basically amounts to "the ends justifies the means". You were breaking the law, so who cares how they caught you!

That opens FAR too many doors.

But, one thing I can say is that if there's no one manning these things, then there's no one to write me up for having a device that defeats it. I'm sure there will be a market for that soon enough. No technology is bulletproof.

I still don't follow YOUR logic. Where is it written that the police have to employ some particular methdology to enforce speeding laws? In the very old days, they just tailed you. Later they set up radar traps. Then, well, you get the picture.

Using your logic, police should not be able to use any superior technology catch other criminals as well. This would not be "sporting of them" I guess. At the same time, we should be able to buy all of the latest detectors, right?

I think the terrorists must read these boards and laugh their butts off.

Old 07-20-2006, 11:50 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
I still don't follow YOUR logic. Where is it written that the police have to employ some particular methdology to enforce speeding laws? In the very old days, they just tailed you. Later they set up radar traps. Then, well, you get the picture.

Using your logic, police should not be able to use any superior technology catch other criminals as well. This would not be "sporting of them" I guess. At the same time, we should be able to buy all of the latest detectors, right?

I think the terrorists must read these boards and laugh their butts off.
Hi,

To be sure, it's a complex issue with many gray areas. But, I do think that the Police should not have many of the things available to them at the moment, including this technology. For one thing, what's next? Legislation which prohibits manufacturers to produce a car which will exceed the speed limit or some arbitrary upper limit? This technology is also already on the shelf, but wait, then the State could not profit or produce revenue from scofflaws... I guess that one's safe for now. A Free Society cannot impose so much constraint on it's Citizens that it effectively ceases to be a Free Society - no one thing accomplishes this, but every little thing, such as these technologies, inch us closer to that day.

And let's face it, exceeding the speed limit is not the only way a motorist can break the law. Much more revenue could be had were the Police to crack down on those not signalling turns, driving with burnt out bulbs, rolling stopsigns, not using seatbelts, using cell phones, driving on bald tires, and any number of other infractions, which in sum may impose a greater threat than a few speeders. But these are much more difficult to catch (there'd need to be more Police actually doing their jobs rather than waiting for a Radio Call to action).

And, for OHBoxster, I was able to successfully argue that the speed trap which caught me doing 34MPH in a 30MPH zone was entrapment as the Motorcycle Officer used a Radar Gun at the bottom of a steep hill. A nearly blind curve leads to this decline and I was driving my wife's late Lincoln Continental. I argued that the car travelling the proper limit would pick up speed naturally on this decline and that even if the motorist saw/felt the increase in speed and attempted to apply the brakes, that the car could have easily increased 4MPH in speed and that the Officer would have no indication whatever from in front of the car whether the Driver was attempting to limit his speed as the brake lights would not have been visible. The Judge asked if I was an Attorney, when I said I wasn't, he said I should be, that I had clearly made my case and ruled the Officer acted inappropriately in selecting the sight for the trap and in issuing me the citation, despite protests from the Officer, and the citation was dismissed. There were however over a dozen citations given on this day at that sight and they were not dismissed, most I assume were simply paid...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
Old 07-20-2006, 12:31 PM   #31

Smile

"A Free Society cannot impose so much constraint on it's Citizens that it effectively ceases to be a Free Society - no one thing accomplishes this, but every little thing, such as these technologies, inch us closer to that day."

I am not buying it.

If the society says that it is OK to drive 75 and you drive 90, you are breaking the law.

You just don't want to pay the consequences for your actions.

C'mon, lets be honest. You want the radar detector but you don't want the cops to respond in kind.

Old 07-20-2006, 01:23 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

To be sure, it's a complex issue with many gray areas. But, I do think that the Police should not have many of the things available to them at the moment, including this technology. For one thing, what's next? Legislation which prohibits manufacturers to produce a car which will exceed the speed limit or some arbitrary upper limit? This technology is also already on the shelf, but wait, then the State could not profit or produce revenue from scofflaws... I guess that one's safe for now. A Free Society cannot impose so much constraint on it's Citizens that it effectively ceases to be a Free Society - no one thing accomplishes this, but every little thing, such as these technologies, inch us closer to that day.

And let's face it, exceeding the speed limit is not the only way a motorist can break the law. Much more revenue could be had were the Police to crack down on those not signalling turns, driving with burnt out bulbs, rolling stopsigns, not using seatbelts, using cell phones, driving on bald tires, and any number of other infractions, which in sum may impose a greater threat than a few speeders. But these are much more difficult to catch (there'd need to be more Police actually doing their jobs rather than waiting for a Radio Call to action).

And, for OHBoxster, I was able to successfully argue that the speed trap which caught me doing 34MPH in a 30MPH zone was entrapment as the Motorcycle Officer used a Radar Gun at the bottom of a steep hill. A nearly blind curve leads to this decline and I was driving my wife's late Lincoln Continental. I argued that the car travelling the proper limit would pick up speed naturally on this decline and that even if the motorist saw/felt the increase in speed and attempted to apply the brakes, that the car could have easily increased 4MPH in speed and that the Officer would have no indication whatever from in front of the car whether the Driver was attempting to limit his speed as the brake lights would not have been visible. The Judge asked if I was an Attorney, when I said I wasn't, he said I should be, that I had clearly made my case and ruled the Officer acted inappropriately in selecting the sight for the trap and in issuing me the citation, despite protests from the Officer, and the citation was dismissed. There were however over a dozen citations given on this day at that sight and they were not dismissed, most I assume were simply paid...

I'm far too pissed with some of you right now to delve too deeply into this issue, but I at least have to address Jim's successful court case. (OHBoxster, I'm with you. The doughnut cracks, pork smell, etc. are completely uncalled for. We're talking about a speeding ticket for Christ's sake)

Jim was successful in court because the judge was an idiot. Plain and simple. The speed limit in this case was 30 mph, not 30 mph unless you were going down hill...not 34 until you get it slowed down to 30. 30. Period. Whether the driver was attempting to limit his speed or not was of no consequence. The fact of the matter is that the driver did not limit his speed and was clocked in excess of the legal limit. Guilty. Should Jim have expanded his argument to contend that he was unable to limit his speed, though he was on the brakes, he should have received additional citations and equipment repair orders for his faulty brakes.

I find it very interesting that Jim feels that the Police have a lot of equipment available to them that they shouldn't have. Why? 'Cause they might catch him f**cking up? Should someone break into his home, steal his property and scare his family, would he be pissed when the Evidence Unit showed up with every modern method available to them to solve the crime, arrest the criminals and safely return his property? Would he be pissed that the same camera he complains about above caught a useable picture of the mopes who did the crime? No, he wouldn't. He would expect it. In fact, he would scream and holler and jump up and down at the inefficiency and injustice should it turn out any differently. But, should the Police use the latest technology to catch him speeding, well then they've just gone too damn far. You can't have it both ways. The Police have to enforce all the laws. Yes, they should certainly put more effort into the pursuit of of say homicide suspects than they do traffic violators, but if the Police let the rules of the road get out of hand, how long before your children begin getting mowed down in the street while riding their bikes or walking home from school.

Rail26 was speeding and got caught. It sucks, but it happens. As for a sign Rail, I hate to tell you dude, but the warning sign is posted about every quarter mile. It says "Speed Limit 65".
Old 07-20-2006, 01:34 PM   #33

Dude, you are absolutely right. I definately did not think I was going to start this debate. I actually just wanted to ******************** and get a little sympathy. Thats all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
Rail26 was speeding and got caught. It sucks, but it happens. As for a sign Rail, I hate to tell you dude, but the warning sign is posted about every quarter mile. It says "Speed Limit 65".
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

Old 07-20-2006, 02:00 PM   #34

Quote:
If the society says that it is OK to drive 75 and you drive 90, you are breaking the law.

C'mon, lets be honest. You want the radar detector but you don't want the cops to respond in kind.
While that is true, the problem I have is with the idea of automated law enforcement. I don't see how you can't see that not having an actual person held accountable for the accusation against you is a dangerous thing.

I don't mind radars and all that. But anything where there isn't someone there to say "yes, I saw that man do such-and-such things" makes me nervous. Technology is there to assist us in our endeavors, not replace us or pass judgement over us.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:01 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail26
Dude, you are absolutely right. I definately did not think I was going to start this debate. I actually just wanted to ******************** and get a little sympathy. Thats all.
You wanted sympathy from these guys over a speeding ticket?! LOL I already tried that game and was denied. The boys here aren't very empathic.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:21 PM   #36

Quote:
"A Free Society cannot impose so much constraint on it's Citizens that it effectively ceases to be a Free Society - no one thing accomplishes this, but every little thing, such as these technologies, inch us closer to that day."

I am not buying it.

Hi,

No not at all... People are getting the wrong impression that I don't want them catching me. There's nothing to catch - I do not speed intentionally EVER on a City Street, occasionally on the expressway, but then usually only matching the Traffic Flow - my life is simple and I'm never in that much of a hurry.

I have only been pinched twice in 38 years and over 1 million miles and both of those were unintentional and dismissed. Whatever Thrill-Seeking I have unsatisfied after spending 8 years being shot off of and landing on a 300' Carrier Deck I confine to the Track or the Bedroom. I own one Car specifically for this purpose - the Track, not the Bedroom I have never owned a Radar Detector because I do not need one.

I think people who speed on Public Roads make it unsafe for all of us. I want the Cops to catch everyone of them, but I am against the use of unmanned technology to do so. I want more Cops out there doing the work of Cops. I'd much rather my not inconsiderable Tax dollars were spent on this than for counseling unwed Mothers how not to habitually hook up with guys who beat and abuse them, or $75,000 Government Grants to Biologists to determine whether a Sunfish is more agressive if intoxicated on Vodka or Gin (an actual Gov't Grant and winner of the fabled Wisconsin Senator William Proxmire's Golden Fleece Award).

So, to be clear, I am against people disregarding the Traffic Laws, but also against ever-increasing use of Technology (in whatever form) by Government to invade our Privacy. Younger people may not realize how much the Gov't has incurred on our lives as opposed to when I was young. We should always err on the side of the rights of the Citizens, not away from them...

Old 07-20-2006, 02:50 PM   #37

having worked in federal law enforcement I can tell you that handing out speeding tickets is NOT the work of cops.There are violent crimes that need to prioritized. Too many go unstopped, unpunished and unsolved.

I also think that if a cop gets fat he should be put on foot patrol. A cop should be as fit as soldier going to war.
Speeding tickets should totally be done by cameras.
Either we want people to drive slower or we don't. Technology can
drastically cut the average speed of traffic.
I dread the idea of sticking to the speed limit but the number of bone heads
driving SUVs and minivans going warp speed really is out of control.
I probably have 8X's the driving skill of the average driver yet I'm usually the slow one. What's wrong with that picture?

If state troopers want to hunt down speeders who may be trafficking in drugs well fine by me! but don't just sit there waiting to catch one because he's tripped the radar. Cameras should be noting when someone is going mach whatever, and radio to the trooper that someone is in an apparent rush. Police should also be looking for cars that look sketchy and pull them over. Cars should always have two cops as well.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Old 07-20-2006, 03:07 PM   #38

Talking

I am totally for the automated catching of speeders.

Then the local CHP can actually find those dip****************s who speed AND weave in out and out traffic. Or worse yet, the racers who put other people into the cheap seats as they weave in and out.

Then, when they get these turds, lets by all means give them the personal attention they deserve.

I will take an automated ticket in exchange for this any day of the week.

Old 07-20-2006, 04:02 PM   #39

Ouch, I was only 14 over at 0730 in the morning on a Sunday.

[QUOTE=Brucelee]Then, when they get these turds, lets by all means give them the personal attention they deserve.QUOTE]
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

Old 07-20-2006, 04:18 PM   #40

[QUOTE=Rail26]Ouch, I was only 14 over at 0730 in the morning on a Sunday.

Quote:
Then, when they get these turds, lets by all means give them the personal attention they deserve.QUOTE]

Damn dude, you got called a turd.

Closed Thread