Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2017, 05:25 PM   #21
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
A little update. The shop here had a delay getting started on the car, so they didn't get the new engine in until late June. Unfortunately, it made a loud noise. My shop here was great, already having contacted Vertex and made arrangements by the time I knew about the issue.

Vertex was quick to get the ball rolling on making it right -- they had the car picked up in SC and hauled to FL, so they could diagnose and repair or replace the engine. They picked the car up last Thursday and returned it today. My shop advises that it's up and running, but they are finishing some of the peripheral stuff and final reassembly. They want to spend some time driving the car tomorrow to make sure everything's dialed in and nothing's dripping, but I should have the car back by Friday.

In a perfect world, the first engine would have worked and I'd be a couple of weeks into enjoying the repaired car. That said, both my shop here and Vertex were great at moving quickly to get the unexpected issue taken care of (on Vertex's dime, for two-way transportation and correction of the engine issue). While it's a shame the first time was a no-go, I'm satisfied with them backing up their product.

Eager to get the car back (if all is well and it's done by Friday, I'll get to take it on a nice 150 mile road trip to see some family this weekend). Fingers crossed, and I'll report some impressions when I have the key again.

BTW, they went ahead and replaced all the coolant lines (original and soft, likely from the intermix); the clutch; the CV axles (the boots were torn); and all the original ignition coils. I hope this means I'm set for a while, except for going through the suspension at some point.
Good to hear that you'll be back on the road soon!

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:04 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
Sure, Phil. It's Complete Car Care on Gervais Street, just a few blocks from the Capitol here. Note that there is, just a block or two away on the same street, "Firestone Complete Car Care." Not the same place at all.

CCC is an interesting one. On first glance, it looks like a regular tire-and-lube place, and the bulk of the cars you see on their lifts are American, Japanese everyday kind of cars. If you pass there every day (as I have for years), though, you notice that they are rarely without at least one or tow Porsches hanging around. For that reason (and the fact that they are three blocks from the office I had at the time), I started taking my string of 90s and early 00s Mercedes to them several years ago. They were always excellent, knowledgeable and reasonably priced.

When I got the Boxster, that was why I approached them (even though my office is now a very hot 6-block walk back from there). Some of the mechanics there have raced Boxsters, and they're knowledgeable, enthusiastic and practical.

I can't quote for you their rate; I took a very boring 3-year break with a late-model Lexus and haven't had occasion to visit them during that time. I'll be getting a nice big bill from them in the next day or two, though, and I'm glad to shed some light at that point. I do know that I've always found their tabs to be cheaper than the independent Mercedes-centric shop I had used before finding them.

This was more of an answer than you were looking for, but if you look them up on street view, you may think I'm crazy (if that was taken on a day that everything on the lift was a Chrysler minivan, Civic or Camry).

This will be by far the biggest job they've ever done for me, but I have never had a bad experience (including this one, at least so far).

Do note that they are very busy most of the time, and I have rarely been able to get a car in and out of there in a day (even for minor things, like motor mounts). It's never been a problem since I'm nearby, but you might want to call ahead and make sure they have arrangements in place if you don't want to spend a night in Columbia.
Hello Adam,

I was wondering if you have any more insight on this vertex engine? I am in a similar situation...I have a 97 Boxster and was about to have IMS bearing replaced and found metal in the sump...My options are pretty slim and I cannot fathom spending 20K on one of the RND engines on a car that's only worth 10-15K. The vertex engine looks like a good option but wondering if you have had any further issues as it has now been a few years since your last post. Thank you !
Oliver356986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 01:07 PM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver356986 View Post
Hello Adam,

I was wondering if you have any more insight on this vertex engine? I am in a similar situation...I have a 97 Boxster and was about to have IMS bearing replaced and found metal in the sump...My options are pretty slim and I cannot fathom spending 20K on one of the RND engines on a car that's only worth 10-15K. The vertex engine looks like a good option but wondering if you have had any further issues as it has now been a few years since your last post. Thank you !
I don't think he is still around since this thread post is over 3 years old. You should search the internet for comments on Vertex engines, I wouldn't by one! Do it nice or do it twice!
Old 04-12-2021, 01:54 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver356986 View Post
The vertex engine looks like a good option.....
It isn't; it is little better than a much cheaper junk yard engine.
Old 04-12-2021, 02:25 PM   #25

For what they charge for their rebuilt engines you could replace a 2.7 3 times and still be less then what they charge .
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:03 PM   #26

Be sure to check what material is used for the cyl liners. If it's not alum, your engine will run hotter, which is not a good thing.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:38 PM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stl-986 View Post
For what they charge for their rebuilt engines you could replace a 2.7 3 times and still be less then what they charge .
I prefer driving my car over removing & reinstalling engines.

Old 04-14-2021, 04:54 PM   #28

Lots of wrecks have perfectly usable engines in them a list here. It is old but good shops tend to stay in business. https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/listsofsources
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:42 PM   #29

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
It isn't; it is little better than a much cheaper junk yard engine.
I wish Id read your comment a few years ago. At least Id ask what you know about the Vertex motors.

I bought one on Craigslist cheap. Never installed. Cost quite a bit to install ($5k). The car ran great for a year. Then threw a CEL. A cam shaft is 6 degrees off due to the variocam advance. Car still runs great, but its now is a rolling parts car. Will drive it until the slightest thing goes wrong. Then it will be scrapped.

I wouldnt buy another Vertex motor.

sfkjeld is offline   Reply With Quote