View Single Post
Old 06-13-2017, 08:27 AM   #2
RandallNeighbour

Glad the forum has been helpful to you. It was definitely my salvation in the first few years of ownership when I bought my 1997 in 2004.

My car had a brand new motor put in it prior to my purchasing the car, and since I didn't have a PPI on the car and the kid who sold it to me was using his dad's dealer license to flip cars out of the Miami auction, he didn't know it had been replaced either.

The problem with a brand new motor mated to an old transmission is that there's usually a sizable difference in torque between the old and new. In my case, my tranny developed a problem getting into 2nd gear. Replacing it with a used 5 speed with low miles was my remedy. I hope yours doesn't suffer due to the new motor.

You didn't mention if you were replacing the clutch and flywheel and rear main seal, but this would be the time to do that. Also, you should have the front motor mount replaced with a factory part (the aftermarket ones sold by Vertex and others have poly bushings that transfer a lot of vibration that is annoying).

The problem with repairing any old car is the slippery slope of "while we're in there and this old part is on the floor, let's put a new one in and save on the labor."

BTW, if you're not buying parts from Sunset Imports in Oregon you should check them out (providing your mechanic will take your parts or receive them if you can order them).

BTW, nice looking car!!! Be sure to drive it like you stole it each and every time you take it out. The new motor--after the break in period--should be taken to near-redline regularly. This gets oil into all the nooks and crannies and some studies have shown that if you wind up a Porsche motor regularly, it will be less problematic although it might shorten the motor's life a bit. It's a good trade off since you'll have a brand new motor.

... and I hope and pray my motor blows up on me soon. Very soon. I will be handing the keys to my friend who is anxious to put an LS1 in it!!!!

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 06-13-2017 at 08:30 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote