Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2016, 08:05 PM   #101

I wish everyone would carry. It would save me the trouble. Kind of like herd immunity. Sorry Giller, but if enough people just fork over the wallet and avert their eyes, then the criminal act is reinforced as a successful alternative to gainful employment, and we are all less safe from the bad guys who often lack impulse control and have never experienced gun control.
BTW, I live in a reasonably safe area, yet it has been all of 10 days since I was 1st on scene of a carjacking 150 ft from my house. I was unarmed. The victim had a permit but was also unarmed at the time. She got back her wrecked car, broken phone, her credit, and most of the contents of her purse. A suspect is in custody. But she she can't get back the three plus days of lost time, and she won't feel safe walking to her car for a long time. I bet she shoots the next mofo who tries (I will thank her for the public service if she does).
Cultural bias / background: raised in the South, prep school to graduate education, professional, 2 siblings in law enforcement, one in-law career military, nephew a bounty hunter. Very pro-gun, in spite of the fact that some of the jokers with guns scare the S out of me; that is part of the price of freedom.
For a more factual perspective, look at the controlled study that is Kennessaw GA, and the impact on crime of requiring gun ownership.

And Dwight, try a fixed mount inside the pocket on the back of the passenger seat.

BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:00 PM   #102
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
... Or they keep knocking down people's doors over land rovers.

The Feds Just Seized 40 Land Rovers Imported To The U.S.
The biggest threat to the national security of the U.S. is climate change. Those old vehicles, it seems, contribute to it disproportionately. I'm comforted that Federal law enforcement has their priorities straight.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:27 AM   #103

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
The biggest threat to the national security of the U.S. is climate change. Those old vehicles, it seems, contribute to it disproportionately. I'm comforted that Federal law enforcement has their priorities straight.

http://www.industrytap.com/worlds-15-biggest-ships-create-more-pollution-than-all-the-cars-in-the-world/8182

http://www.newsweek.com/2014/07/25/us-department-defence-one-worlds-biggest-polluters-259456.html

Pretty sure they could regulate shipping pollution and check how much they pollute themselves in the process of overthrowing dictators on the other side of the world. Rather then using tax dollars to beat down the door of a Land Rover enthusiast because his car is identical to a model 15 years old, but his is 14 years old, a car that farts out less pollution than the heard of cattle he drives by every once in a while.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:49 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISP357 View Post
I'm reminded of the pathetic cowards who criticize our troops to cover their fear of fighting in the military. If you aren't confident enough to carry and want a nanny state to defend you and your family, fine. Just keep your mouth ( or fingers in this case) shut. No one asked your opinion here.
You keep spouting off your 'opinion' but won't follow your own advice. Nor have you backed up any of your silly statements with facts. And coward? You're the one so scared he has to carry a gun to protect himself. Me, I walk around unarmed all day with confidence....and no one has attacked me yet!!! Shocking!

You're hilarious.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:51 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenLinkage View Post
I wish everyone would carry. It would save me the trouble. Kind of like herd immunity. Sorry Giller, but if enough people just fork over the wallet and avert their eyes, then the criminal act is reinforced as a successful alternative to gainful employment, and we are all less safe from the bad guys who often lack impulse control and have never experienced gun control.
BTW, I live in a reasonably safe area, yet it has been all of 10 days since I was 1st on scene of a carjacking 150 ft from my house. I was unarmed. The victim had a permit but was also unarmed at the time. She got back her wrecked car, broken phone, her credit, and most of the contents of her purse. A suspect is in custody. But she she can't get back the three plus days of lost time, and she won't feel safe walking to her car for a long time. I bet she shoots the next mofo who tries (I will thank her for the public service if she does).
Cultural bias / background: raised in the South, prep school to graduate education, professional, 2 siblings in law enforcement, one in-law career military, nephew a bounty hunter. Very pro-gun, in spite of the fact that some of the jokers with guns scare the S out of me; that is part of the price of freedom.
For a more factual perspective, look at the controlled study that is Kennessaw GA, and the impact on crime of requiring gun ownership.

And Dwight, try a fixed mount inside the pocket on the back of the passenger seat.
But there is zero correlation between states where you can carry and those you can't with regard the crime rates, therefore there is zero proof that carrying actually reduces any crime.

Again, I'm fine if you want to carry cause it makes you feel better or it's your right, but you just can't argue it reduces crime. The facts do not support it.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:54 AM   #106
Yeast Rancher

We have COPS meetings in my neighborhood, where a police representative comes and gives talks on safety. His take on carry is to do it, if you feel comfortable. The police would rather show up with a dead perpetrator than a dead victim.

Also the Supreme Court says the police do not have a responsibility to protect you. It is the RESPONSIBILITY of the INDIVIDUAL to protect themselves. I know certain groups don't like those words.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/politics/justices-rule-police-do-not-have-a-constitutional-duty-to-protect-someone.html?_r=0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
FWIW My son is a cop, my best friend is a cop as are many of my close friends...they will tell you they cannot defend you in the case of violent crime....they can only fill out the paperwork and follow up on leads.
Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:11 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbrown77 View Post
So you're implying I'd shoot someone who cut in line in front of my if I have my gun with me? F you. Do you know how difficult it is to get a CC permit? You show me where someone with a licensed firearm and permit ever did something like that. Your stupid analogy is just that - stupid.
AAAANNNNDDDD speaking of stupid, with apologies to Timco and others, would you also burn and bleach the bodies when self-defending and emptying your clip?

Goose Creek resident who shot, burned, buried men granted bail - Charleston Scene

This case is intriguing. I mean, I can't imagine what the cost of the cab fare was. Yeah, yeah, I get that we don't know if this guy had a permit, so please disregard this thread since we all about the validity up in hereeeeeeee!
Old 05-11-2016, 04:59 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
You keep spouting off your 'opinion' but won't follow your own advice. Nor have you backed up any of your silly statements with facts. And coward? You're the one so scared he has to carry a gun to protect himself. Me, I walk around unarmed all day with confidence....and no one has attacked me yet!!! Shocking!

You're hilarious.
My opinion? This was started as a pro gun thread, dumb ass.
Go away. Your opinion is not wanted and was not asked for here.

I'm glad you've never been attacked. I have no doubt how that would play out.
CHRISP357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 05:30 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISP357 View Post
My opinion? This was started as a pro gun thread, dumb ass.
Go away. Your opinion is not wanted and was not asked for here.

I'm glad you've never been attacked. I have no doubt how that would play out.
Neither was yours....and since you've never backed anything you've said up with ANY facts - that makes you the dumb ass.

Apparently trying to have an intelligent conversation is over your head.

You sir, are pathetic...yet still hilarious.

Common, say some more dumb things and make me laugh!
Old 05-11-2016, 05:57 PM   #110
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfos View Post
AAAANNNNDDDD speaking of stupid, with apologies to Timco and others, would you also burn and bleach the bodies when self-defending and emptying your clip?

Goose Creek resident who shot, burned, buried men granted bail - Charleston Scene

This case is intriguing. I mean, I can't imagine what the cost of the cab fare was. Yeah, yeah, I get that we don't know if this guy had a permit, so please disregard this thread since we all about the validity up in hereeeeeeee!
First, it's a mag. Pistols use a magazine. We've been over this.

Second, I may need a second shot, but I'm certain the first shot will be on target. No need to dump the mag.

Third, you can find as many crazy stories on the web as you want to find. Doesn't make me any less responsible. Heck, I saw a show last night about a Russian prisoner that killed, cooked and ate his buddy, then gave some of the meat to his friends. I don't think he even owned a gun....
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:18 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
But there is zero correlation between states where you can carry and those you can't with regard the crime rates, therefore there is zero proof that carrying actually reduces any crime.

Again, I'm fine if you want to carry cause it makes you feel better or it's your right, but you just can't argue it reduces crime. The facts do not support it.
The facts certainly do support it Hillary. You're just to stupid to understand the big words.
Look, you're a miserable little coward who is terrified of having to defend yourself or any family you may or may not have. Fine. We get it. Just stop criticizing the responsible people who will defend you when the time comes.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:32 PM   #112

Fwiw

I think the problem and where the most friction comes from is choice. If you do not want to legally carry that is your choice, that being said you have no right to tell someone else that they should not be armed and calling names does no good at all......in fact it is like cheating to win the Special Olympics

But on to more interesting dialog in this flaming thread;

What do you prefer ?

I am a 1911 man but have a Sig P230 in my Boxster
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:53 PM   #113
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
I think the problem and where the most friction comes from is choice. If you do not want to legally carry that is your choice, that being said you have no right to tell someone else that they should not be armed and calling names does no good at all......in fact it is like cheating to win the Special Olympics

What do you prefer ?

I am a 1911 man but have a Sig P230 in my Boxster
Para Ordinance limited Hy Cap .45
Star PD sub compact .45
Beretta 92FS 9mm
Sterling 9mm SMG
Old 05-11-2016, 06:59 PM   #114

What do you prefer ?

I am a 1911 man but have a Sig P230 in my Boxster[/QUOTE]

I've had a few 1911's. Loved my Gold cup. I've since moved on to Sig. I have three variations of the P220 and am looking at another one. Or two.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:44 PM   #115

For those that elect to carry a firearm remember to train and put a lot of rounds down range. Know your weapon and have the right mental preparation. Police Officers are well trained and have a 15-25 percent hit probability in street encounters when they fire their guns. It is one thing to shoot a paper target in a sterile environment. It is another to engage an armed suspect. Particularly if he is firing at you. Now... back to Boxsters!!!!

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:42 PM   #116
Known Gearhead

Garage
Interesting thread. I've known many guys and a few gals who've kept a handgun in their vehicle, usually in the glove box. Surprisingly, none of these folks ever mentioned having one stolen. Hiding it more securely means reducing access, which kind of defeats the purpose, as some here have already mentioned.

Given how light and compact some of the new pistols are, why not just wear it in a shoulder holster under your jacket or shirt? Assuming of course that you're in a jurisdiction that allows it. Note that even here in NorCal where restrictions abound, concealed carry permits are easy to get.
imon_2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:03 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
For those that elect to carry a firearm remember to train and put a lot of rounds down range. Know your weapon and have the right mental preparation. Police Officers are well trained and have a 15-25 percent hit probability in street encounters when they fire their guns. It is one thing to shoot a paper target in a sterile environment. It is another to engage an armed suspect. Particularly if he is firing at you. Now... back to Boxsters!!!!
Add a little, agreed train with it. Make time to fire 18 to 24 rounds every month. I shot for a Law Enforcement Agency for 8 years way back in the 70's and 80's....we shot 2 to 4 hundred rounds per week just in practice and then a match every weekend. Use the gun enough that you never feel encumbered with it in your hand.
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:33 PM   #118
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Add a little, agreed train with it. Make time to fire 18 to 24 rounds every month. I shot for a Law Enforcement Agency for 8 years way back in the 70's and 80's....we shot 2 to 4 hundred rounds per week just in practice and then a match every weekend. Use the gun enough that you never feel encumbered with it in your hand.
I shoot 100 pistol rounds a week, easy. Typically closer to 200. That includes .357 mag SA shooting as well.

Then it's about 50 for each rifle, usually 2-3.

Then 2 rounds (50) trap. That's a Saturday morning. Try to go every week.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:33 PM   #119
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by imon_2nd View Post
Interesting thread. I've known many guys and a few gals who've kept a handgun in their vehicle, usually in the glove box. Surprisingly, none of these folks ever mentioned having one stolen. Hiding it more securely means reducing access, which kind of defeats the purpose, as some here have already mentioned.

Given how light and compact some of the new pistols are, why not just wear it in a shoulder holster under your jacket or shirt?...
For me, having a place to keep it in the car is not about access. It's about secure storage when I am leaving my car and entering a place where firearms are not allowed.
Some places I go have this:

If I'm in the car, it's on me.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:36 PM   #120
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
For me, having a place to keep it in the car is not about access. It's about secure storage when I am leaving my car and entering a place where firearms are not allowed.
Some places I go have this:

If I'm in the car, it's on me.
Here, that sign is BS unless they register as a no carry zone with the state. They can always refuse service for any reason, but it's not a crime unless they register and are listed on the BCI website. Besides, concealed means concealed.